talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alcohol Thread

football forum

• Administrator

Whats your poison? I spent £20 on a bottle of Penfolds Cabernet Shiraz today, fucking awesome wine. Anyone who says Bacardi Breezers or WKDs gets a slap xD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently, I am making it my mission to go through as many fine Japanese Whiskies as I possibly can before I depart and they become unreachable due to price. It's cheap here! Also, had some good Glen Livet and Glenfiddich as of late.

Some good shit from Nikka Whisky out there (Yoichi SIngle Malt, Hibiki). I also drink it on the rocks due to being soft drink free for about 9 months now. Surprisingly decent.

Other than that, I am a fan of Pale Ale's and some decent variations by Kirin and Asahi.

Red wine. Preferably room temperature.

10 hours ago, Batard said:

Whats your poison? I spent £20 on a bottle of Penfolds Cabernet Shiraz today, fucking awesome wine. Anyone who says Bacardi Breezers or WKDs gets a slap xD

I've always avoided Australian/American wine. I'm no expert but I just trust the Europeans more to make a good wine. Usually stick with French, Italian and Spanish.

I always take an entire month from drinking every year. Tomorrow will be the end of my month for 2017, which just happens to be Atlanta United's first ever match (Wife and I have season tickets), and so I'm sure I'll be enjoying some German/Belgium beers throughout the day. 

• Administrator

Love me some JD & coke, Morgan's Spiced and coke on nights out (the rarity that they are).

Usually have a glass or 2 of wine every now and then. Preferably rose or white wine. I bought some lovely South African wines back from my trip there in October.  Exquisite. Also have some red wine from my trip to Bordeaux about 18 months ago. I don't drink much red wine but knowing it was being sold mere metres from where it was made as well as it being very cheap, I couldn't pass up the opportunity and they taste delightful.

I've stopped drinking beer a lot recently. Putting on a lot of weight from it. Usually had a couple on a Friday night after work, then quite a few on Saturday and Sunday while watching football. Not any more though. Health-wise it's beneficial for me as well as financially.

• Red wine: Any of the 'third world' (Chile, Argentina, South Africa etc.) or Italians, but Kirkland Malbec is my favorite (from Costco)
  • Whiskey: Macallan, or 15/18yr Glenfiddich
  • Brandy: Asbach Uralt, or Spezialbrand 15yr
  • Bourbon: Gentleman Jack

On 12/03/2017 at 10:52 PM, Cocaine said:
  • Red wine: Any of the 'third world' (Chile, Argentina, South Africa etc.) or Italians, but Kirkland Malbec is my favorite (from Costco)

Great shouts in bold.

My favourite beers often change, but somehow, every time I go to Europe I seek out Kronenbourg. I have no idea why. I'm normally a craft beer man!

• Subscriber
On 3/12/2017 at 7:22 PM, Cocaine said:

Tried the Ruby last year from Macallan and quite liked it. As for local brews I like a lot has to be Kingfisher but only when its cold because warm it tastes horrid.

• Subscriber

Beer and whisky.

When it comes to beer, I prefer German and Czech brews, but I like to try new ones all the time too. Don't really have a favourite one, although I strongly prefer König Pilsener when it comes to lagers and Köstritzer when it comes to Schwarzbier. Enjoy a good Weißbier once in a while too. Belgian beers are good, but too strong in terms of specific taste and aroma to enjoy more than 2-3 bottles.

Whisky - I drink both single malts and blended whiskies, but for me, it's strictly Scotch. Most favourite single malt is definitely Aberlour A'bunadh, never had anything better than it, but I don't get it here in this part of the world, unfortunately. I prefer sherried malts mostly, so usually anything that comes from Speyside is great for me! The likes of Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Glenrothes, BenRiach, etc. I find Macallan to be overpriced mostly. Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are both good affordable whiskies too. When it comes to blended whiskies, Chivas Regal 18 YO is my most favourite (much better than Royal Salute 21 YO by Chivas which was rather underwhelming), followed by Haig Dimple 15 YO (AMAZING Scotch) and Johnnie Walker Gold (prefer it over Platinum, XR 21 YO or Green while it's also cheaper than those). 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Anton said:

Great shouts in bold.

My favourite beers often change, but somehow, every time I go to Europe I seek out Kronenbourg. I have no idea why. I'm normally a craft beer man!

Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc is a great beer!

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Anyone tried this?

jack-daniels-single-barrel-barrel-proof-

Buying a bottle tomorrow, hoping it will change my opinion about bourbon/Tennessee whiskey. Don't like the regular Jack Daniel and didn't particularly enjoy Gentleman Jack either, but this got great reviews so I'm willing to give it a go...

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Anyone tried this?

jack-daniels-single-barrel-barrel-proof-

Buying a bottle tomorrow, hoping it will change my opinion about bourbon/Tennessee whiskey. Don't like the regular Jack Daniel and didn't particularly enjoy Gentleman Jack either, but this got great reviews so I'm willing to give it a go...

what's the difference to the above and the regular JD?

I've got a big sweet tooth so I love JD Honey :x 

Since I started using the iOS app Untappd, I’ll always attempt to try a different beer each time I nip down the pub or when down the wine and booze aisle in Tesco. There’s a cracking brewery near me called Adnam’s, and their Ghost Ship ale is probably my favourite. I also like Fullers; Wild River and Honeydew are good’ns, too. 

If it’s spirits, I like rum. Dark rum. None of that white Malibu nonsense. 

• Beer - I prefer lagers, goses, sours, bitters, stouts, and Flemish ales. I avoid a lot of IPAs especially the wankefest Triples.
  • Whiskey - Irish for cocktails, Scotch for sipping. Laphroaigh in particular. I avoided blends and bourbon.
  • Tequila: I love margaritas. Epsolon is a great middle shelf bottle. 
  • Red wines over whites. I will buy Australian over American.
  • Absinthe; partial to it on occasion.
  • Rum. Possible the worst spirit to drink neat. Cocktails only.
  • Gin. I fucking adore a gin and tonic. However, it does seem to get the best of me and the ol' stereotype of gin making a grown man cry is true.
  • Irish cream. Every morning on holiday.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

what's the difference to the above and the regular JD?

I've got a big sweet tooth so I love JD Honey :x 

As with any whisky, the main difference is how long it's aged, how it's filtered and where (what casks) it's aged - regular JD is aged around 4-7 years only, this single barrel JD is presumably aged around twice as long (JD doesn't release age statements), so there's an extreme difference in that alone. Also, the single barrel one is filtered twice, and is matured in different type of casks. Oh and it is also bottled at cask-strength, so it's around 65% alc/vol.

• Administrator

oh wow, nice to know that. knew about aged whisky but had no idea that regular JD is 4-7 years. 

must have a much purer and sharp taste then I presume?

1 minute ago, nudge said:

As with any whisky, the main difference is how long it's aged, how it's filtered and where (what casks) it's aged - regular JD is aged around 4-7 years only, this single barrel JD is presumably aged around twice as long (JD doesn't release age statements), so there's an extreme difference in that alone. Also, the single barrel one is filtered twice, and is matured in different type of casks. Oh and it is also bottled at cask-strength, so it's around 65% alc/vol.

You forgot the main difference! The type of grain used. Rye, wheat, corn, and wheat.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

oh wow, nice to know that. knew about aged whisky but had no idea that regular JD is 4-7 years. 

must have a much purer and sharp taste then I presume?

Aged whiskies are smoother, in general, but it also depends extremely on the casks (mainly type of wood and charring) :) My favourite whisky, Aberlour A'bunadh is also bottled at cask-strength so around 60-65% depending on the batch, but with just a small dash of water it's much smoother than most non-cask strength whiskies.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

You forgot the main difference! The type of grain used. Rye, wheat, corn, and wheat.

In this case (JD regular and JD single barrel proof) it doesn't matter, the mashbill of both is the same! 

Just now, nudge said:

Aged whiskies are smoother, in general, but it also depends extremely on the casks (mainly type of wood and charring) :) My favourite whisky, Aberlour A'bunadh is also bottled at cask-strength so around 60-65% depending on the batch, but with just a small dash of water it's much smoother than most non-cask strength whiskies.

In this case (JD regular and JD single barrel proof) it doesn't matter, the mashbill of both is the same! 

I meant in general of whiskies. 

• 11 months later...
football forum
30 minutes ago, nudge said:

abfob.12yov1.jpg

Bought this today, and I'm positively surprised; such fantastic value for money! 

ABERFELDY!!!! 😍😍😍

Absolutely gorgeous drink @nudge. You won't be disappointed!

Archived