talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England

football forum

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweden will be far more disciplined and organised than Colombia, but lack their invidual talent. Could be one for the patient side of the game, I think Sweden will be more savvy with set pieces too. Ultimately though, England should win and things are looking a bit Portugaly 16, a kind run and scratching out results before facing a team that will be favourites in the final (if they get there).

Obviously this is all hypothesis but in my opinion the Sweden tie is a lot easier than what the Colombia game was.

It’s obvious to see England suffer more against more technically gifted sides that have it in their make-up to be more unpredictable.

Sweden although probably more disciplined, they are considerably less naturally talented than Colombia and Sweden will play a game that’s a lot easier to read for England. Kane and other England attacking players will find it a lot more natural to express themselves and be more effective against the Swedes on paper.

Sweden are like Denmark. If you nullify them in the air, they don't have much else really. Aerially they are very good and that's how they create most of their chances. Forsberg is having a very good tournament, so watch out for him. They are good at looking very limited and getting chance after chance from nothing. Its impressive and definitely a strong point. I think England have enough about them though as they are used to beating teams of this stature.

15 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

My missus has agreed to name our first child after Ruben-Loftus if we win the World Cup :banana:

Its coming home lads.

Good ! So what's the condition on which she agreed to make a baby with you in the first place :ph34r:

can see this game finishing 0-0 after 90 really.

England havent created a whole heap of chances, and sweden will (should) be much more disciplined at the back than anything England has yet faced.

Certainly not the gimme that im seeing on social media, but i think england might just sneak it.

Sweden are there on merit and are a very mentally strong team. I was very impressed how they responded to that heart-breaking loss to Germany.
Not to mention the entire tournament they've only conceded a freak own goal and THAT Kroos freekick. Beating Switzerland while nullifying their threat and Sweden had the better chances to score more isn't that easy either, ask Brazil.

I see England Sweden as a 55-45, and only and only because of Harry Kane. Someone that can come up with a moment of mind-blowing brilliance. Still think it'll go to ET.

On 7/4/2018 at 08:15, The Artful Dodger said:

Sweden will be far more disciplined and organised than Colombia, but lack their invidual talent. Could be one for the patient side of the game, I think Sweden will be more savvy with set pieces too. Ultimately though, England should win and things are looking a bit Portugaly 16, a kind run and scratching out results before facing a team that will be favourites in the final (if they get there).

Toivonen's lack of talent didn't prevent him from converting the technically most challenging chance in this tournament against Germany.

This one could be going to penalties again....

Last 10 results (friendlies included)

3 wins sweden. 2 England. 5 draws. 

• Sweden 4-2 England (2012 friendly)
  • Sweden 2-3 England (Euro 2012)
  • England 1-0 Sweden (2011 friendly)
  • Sweden 2-2 England (World Cup 2006)
  • Sweden 1-0 England (2004 friendly)
  • England 1-1 Sweden (World Cup 2002)
  • England 1-1 Sweden (2001 friendly)
  • England 0-0 Sweden (Euro 2000 qualifier)
  • Sweden 2-1 England (Euro 2000 qualifier)
  • England 3-3 Sweden (1995 friendly)

2 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Sweden are there on merit and are a very mentally strong team. I was very impressed how they responded to that heart-breaking loss to Germany.
Not to mention the entire tournament they've only conceded a freak own goal and THAT Kroos freekick. Beating Switzerland while nullifying their threat and Sweden had the better chances to score more isn't that easy either, ask Brazil.

I see England Sweden as a 55-45, and only and only because of Harry Kane. Someone that can come up with a moment of mind-blowing brilliance. Still think it'll go to ET.

oddly hasnt shown it so far.

Might sound strange considering hes going to win the golden boot but i dont think hes been very good. (note: he also hasnt needed to be)

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

This one could be going to penalties again....

Last 10 results (friendlies included)

3 wins sweden. 2 England. 5 draws. 

• Sweden 4-2 England (2012 friendly)
  • Sweden 2-3 England (Euro 2012)
  • England 1-0 Sweden (2011 friendly)
  • Sweden 2-2 England (World Cup 2006)
  • Sweden 1-0 England (2004 friendly)
  • England 1-1 Sweden (World Cup 2002)
  • England 1-1 Sweden (2001 friendly)
  • England 0-0 Sweden (Euro 2000 qualifier)
  • Sweden 2-1 England (Euro 2000 qualifier)
  • England 3-3 Sweden (1995 friendly)

Question is whether it is a coincidence or whether culturally Sweden have the sort of footballing style that gets them better results than they should on paper against England.

I mean fuck me before his injury in the final group game Sebastian Larsson was a starter for this lot, and people think it wouldn't be a failure to go out here.:ph34r:

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived