talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England

football forum

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t believe people are genuinely saying Raheem Sterling is crap and given him a rating of 5.23 on that BBC ratings thing. It really shows how little people actually know about the game.

As I said at half time, Sterling’s pace and movement off the ball caused Sweden a load of trouble. Yeah, he should have probably stuck away that first “chance” he had but he was offside anyway so he could have taken it round the keeper and stuck it in with his dick for all I care. That second one was a tougher one and it’s not a disgrace that he didn’t score. 

That said, bloody hell, this is a dream. It’s unbelievable. We have an England side that plays some really good football and is 90 minutes from a World Cup Final. It’s mad. What an opportunity we have ahead of us. 

Looking back on when we first met I cannot escape and I cannot forget. Southgate you're the one you still turn me on. Footballs coming coming home again 

• Subscriber

Can't believe some of the stuff I'm seeing about Sterling.

The guy was brilliant today - such an outlet. He stretched the pitch, he created space and he ran them ragged. Yes his finishing is a weakness, but the rest of his game is excellent, and you compare the job he did today to Alli or Lingard and there's no comparison.

The only problem we have with Sterling playing that role is that it means Alli has to drop which really isn't his natural position at all - and we see less of the link up with Kane and the runs into the box. However people slagging him really don't seem to understand football if they can't see what an important role he is playing in this team.

That was so comfortable overall today - we looked pretty good at times, probably our best overall performance. Hard to believe we are in a World Cup Semi, having coasted through the quarter. Hasn't really sunk in yet but what a time to be an English football fan. Whole country has come together behind these players and the management team that have completely endeared themselves to a sceptical public. Lets keep the good times rolling.

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Can't believe some of the stuff I'm seeing about Sterling.

The guy was brilliant today - such an outlet. He stretched the pitch, he created space and he ran them ragged. Yes his finishing is a weakness, but the rest of his game is excellent, and you compare the job he did today to Alli or Lingard and there's no comparison.

The only problem we have with Sterling playing that role is that it means Alli has to drop which really isn't his natural position at all - and we see less of the link up with Kane and the runs into the box. However people slagging him really don't seem to understand football if they can't see what an important role he is playing in this team.

That was so comfortable overall today - we looked pretty good at times, probably our best overall performance. Hard to believe we are in a World Cup Semi, having coasted through the quarter. Hasn't really sunk in yet but what a time to be an English football fan. Whole country has come together behind these players and the management team that have completely endeared themselves to a sceptical public. Lets keep the good times rolling.

I thought sterling was shit. 

1 hour ago, BartraPique1932 said:

Apologise to Southgate, you rats.

That's sir Gareth. And yes i do apologise and I've never been so happy to be wrong about anything in my life 

Being able to make things happen is better than playing it simple and not drawing too much attention to yourself. When it came to open play you could tell the Swedish defence were shit scared of Sterling.

9 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

That's not surprising :D  ...a lot of you on here don't understand football :ph34r: 

What. He had loads of chances to finish the game. Should be dropped

• Subscriber

Going back to my original post though - the one real problem I do have with Sterling, isn't his fault at all, it's the system. Because effectively he's playing as the furthest forward, and this means we really do not get the best out of Kane. As everyone has seen now thankfully he's just a brilliant footballer and can play a variety of roles but really he should be playing right up front and have the likes of Lingard, Sterling and Alli trying to play him in/off him. That's just not happening as Kane is coming deep and Sterling is playing off the shoulder of the last man.

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What. He had loads of chances to finish the game. Should be dropped

Then you don't understand how important he is to the team  ..even when he has a bad game the other team will be worried about a ball over the top or leaving him one on one with a defender, he opens space for other players even when he's not playing his best football  ..is this sinking in yet? :)

9 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Then you don't understand how important he is to the team  ..even when he has a bad game the other team will be worried about a ball over the top or leaving him one on one with a defender, he opens space for other players even when he's not playing his best football  ..is this sinking in yet? :)

Fair enough. He should have scored though

11 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

This sums up Sterling quite nicely. He played badly today, but was still useful because of his pace, and always will be. The problem is when people talk as if he's the only player with a bit of pace and that alone should get him in the side. I'd seriously consider playing Rashford on Wednesday, who I think brings more to the table than Sterling alongside his pace.

7 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

He could of done better with the shot when he was offside, the other one was a bit harder

Still coming home so don't matter 

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived