talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England

football forum

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not often you get an England side with such determination. It's not the most talented English side I've seen on paper, although there is more about this side than previous sides, who had bigger "stars", but not ones who gelled. 

I think having less pressure as past England sides helps as well.

I believe this team can get to the final now, as both Croatia and Russia are beatable despite not being easy opponents, although France or Belgium will likely be a step too high. Then again, a Ronaldo-less Portugal did it in the euros so never say never. 

Whatever happens from now, it'll be a successful tournament as reaching a semi wasn't expected to happen before the World Cup began. 

5 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's not often you get an England side with such determination. It's not the most talented English side I've seen on paper, although there is more about this side than previous sides, who had bigger "stars", but not ones who gelled. 

I think having less pressure as past England sides helps as well.

I believe this team can get to the final now, as both Croatia and Russia are beatable despite not being easy opponents, although France or Belgium will likely be a step too high. Then again, a Ronaldo-less Portugal did it in the euros so never say never. 

Whatever happens from now, it'll be a successful tournament as reaching a semi wasn't expected to happen before the World Cup began. 

Nah fuck France and Belgium it's coming home. Millions of.england fans can't be wrong :banana:

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

After Iceland I was done with England, honestly. Southgate deserves so much praise for bringing this team together and making a squad that the nation can be proud of. 

So happy to be proud of the national team again :England:

Question. England win the world cup or everton win the league?

It's a semi-final of a World Cup... That's no small achievement!

One game away from being part of a final which are all remembered as the rest is all just the filling.

England should be very proud of this and I only hope the ultimate can happen which is to lift that coveted trophy.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

It's a semi-final of a World Cup... That's no small achievement!

One game away from being part of a final which are all remembered as the rest is all just the filling.

England should be very proud of this and I only hope the ultimate can happen which is to lift that coveted trophy.

What was it like when Spain won it for you mate?

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

What was it like when Spain won it for you mate?

First I cried because my dad was no longer with us and it was one of his dreams to witness such a feat, then I cried some more and continued to cry before I got totally drunk and nearly drowned in a fountain in Valencia before the Red Cross pulled me out... Then I cried again. xD

The greatest football feeling of them all, nothing comes close in this sport!

Just now, SirBalon said:

First I cried because my dad was no longer with us and it was one of his dreams to witness such a feat, then I cried some more and continued to cry before I got totally drunk and nearly drowned in a fountain in Valencia before the Red Cross pulled me out... Then I cried again. xD

The greatest football feeling of them all, nothing comes close in this sport!

I'll definitely cry if win it. Seeing arsenal win the champions league would be amazing but to win the world cup is the ultimate.  I've never seen people in the country so passionate and I've never felt so passionate 

I think it's ok to be irrational and let your passion take over now. We're still probably third favoutes but who cares. Just enjoy it

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Nah fuck France and Belgium it's coming home. Millions of.england fans can't be wrong :banana:

It's the only time I've ever had England in a sweepstake as well. It was 2 teams for a fiver, 95 quid in the pot overall. I got Senegal and ENGLAND. 

57 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Just got back in from a street party. What a time to be alive.

Imagine what it will be like of we win

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Can't believe some of the stuff I'm seeing about Sterling.

The guy was brilliant today - such an outlet. He stretched the pitch, he created space and he ran them ragged. Yes his finishing is a weakness, but the rest of his game is excellent, and you compare the job he did today to Alli or Lingard and there's no comparison.

The only problem we have with Sterling playing that role is that it means Alli has to drop which really isn't his natural position at all - and we see less of the link up with Kane and the runs into the box. However people slagging him really don't seem to understand football if they can't see what an important role he is playing in this team.

That was so comfortable overall today - we looked pretty good at times, probably our best overall performance. Hard to believe we are in a World Cup Semi, having coasted through the quarter. Hasn't really sunk in yet but what a time to be an English football fan. Whole country has come together behind these players and the management team that have completely endeared themselves to a sceptical public. Lets keep the good times rolling.

I would say its people who are blowing off steam in frustration for the missed chances which led to Sterling being singled out, combined with the heat that was already on him.

The frustration with Sterling is because he has the potential to be more than he is. He could be the best player, and that was why he was purchased for such a hefty sum. You want to see him go that extra mile, and in that case the front 2 of Kane and Sterling is world class.

7 hours ago, Cannabis said:

After Iceland I was done with England, honestly. Southgate deserves so much praise for bringing this team together and making a squad that the nation can be proud of. 

So happy to be proud of the national team again :England:

International football is the greatest by far. This is why FIFA being such a travesty is so galling. They have the keys to the most magnificent thing there is, and when they fuck up it hurts the most.

World Cup football creates an overall sense of something, and a passion that spills over into all other forms of football. 

Kinda stifled for the excitement of England’s overachievement because as an Australian unknown forces compel me to be disgusted by England the moment international sports are concerned - despite the fact I love you guys.

Fucking hell, what a game. I'm still in disbelief, jut haven't processed it. How do you top that Colombia game for nerves? This is just a bonus but what a fucking bonus, into a semi final.

Kicked off at 2am, in the pub for 11pm. Absolutely rammed, 3 hours of England fans dancing and singing, Footballs Coming Home, Looking Back On Where We First Met, the classic You're Shit But Your Bird Are Fit to the Swedes as well as everyone belting out the Beatles and Oasis, what a time to be alive.

Maguire has been perfect in the air, great with his feet, potentially the making of a class centre back. Really grown into this tournament. Sterling was great, finishing leaves a lot to be desired but his build up play is great. The only creative outlet we had across all areas of our attack.

Alli hasn't set the world alight this tournament and has been very error prone, seems to start every game giving the ball away. But his defensive work has been top class, positioning, tracking back, doesn't give needless fouls away. I agree with @Storts that Sterling's game prevents him having the same impact he has for Spurs, but he's beginning to look more of a threat this tournament and obviously got the goal two double our lead.

Lingard not amazing but he links up well and also probably suffers from Sterling taking the space he may normally take.

Trippier top notch again, Walker growing as a centre back, Southgate completely vindicated by this choice.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Still see some flaws in the system but I’ve never seen the country like today. Amazing. 

Love them all. 

And there’s still people who don’t rate John Stones. Zzzzzz.

If anything these performances show that the likes of Jack Wilshere, Shelvey, Winks...even down to an unknown quality in Phil Foden that there's room for a ball playing centre midfielder in this England team.

12 hours on the drink but I think I preferred getting 12 hours of drink in 4 hours like on Tuesday.

The game itself didn't provide any real heart stopping moments or swings of emotion. The euphoria wasn't as high as Tuesday night but the support in the bar and on the streets was still superb. It felt like watching Newcastle in the Championship again, dispatching a side without needing to do too much while the fans sing away.

I think this was England's most impressive performance so far. Sweden have shown to be no mugs against the likes of Germany, Italy, Holland, Mexico and Switzerland. Yet we managed to control the game and make it look relatively easy. Having both Stones and Maguire threatening from set pieces has been an unexpected massive plus so far and hopefully it continues.

Lessons were learned after the Colombia game in terms of how to react to being a goal up and I think that's massive in knockout football. Under Roy Hodgson my biggest complaint was we kept making the same mistakes as the previous fixture. That isn't happening here.

We are well truly announcing ourselves to the world now. There shouldn't be anybody that feels comfortable playing us, and that's been our major problem since 2006.

Onwards and upwards now. I've got a positive feeling we will make the final.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think this was England's most impressive performance so far. Sweden have shown to be no mugs against the likes of Germany, Italy, Holland, Mexico and Switzerland. Yet we managed to control the game and make it look relatively easy. Having both Stones and Maguire threatening from set pieces has been an unexpected massive plus so far and hopefully it continues.

Lessons were learned after the Colombia game in terms of how to react to being a goal up and I think that's massive in knockout football. Under Roy Hodgson my biggest complaint was we kept making the same mistakes as the previous fixture. That isn't happening here.

We are well truly announcing ourselves to the world now. There shouldn't be anybody that feels comfortable playing us, and that's been our major problem since 2006.

Onwards and upwards now. I've got a positive feeling we will make the final.

agree with all of this.

Pickford was brilliant with the saves he made because they were at crucial times but I think we controlled the game from start to finish. 

I like the vibe this team have had from day one, too. A calm air of confidence but also maturity for such a young squad.

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived