talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England

football forum

Sweden won their group, but given how rubbish this German side turned out to be, it wasn't a very strong group.  England came out second in a better group, and they have a slight offensive advantage over Sweden.  I would give the edge to England in this matchup with odds around 60-40.

I don't want to look past Sweden, but England actually has a relatively clear path to the finals, with Columbia having been one of their tougher matchups in the remaining hypothetical outcomes.  I see Brazil or France probably being the most likely outcome on the other side.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we lost to the waffles then beat the druglords. Hopefully we beat abba next then beat the assassins to get to the final

On 04/07/2018 at 20:08, The Palace Fan said:

My missus has agreed to name our first child after Ruben-Loftus if we win the World Cup :banana:

Its coming home lads.

You were actually the first fan on here to get excited. What was the thread 90 days to go  or something?

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

I've been excited since the last World Cup mate.

Fair play. How old are you? Can't be that old or you would be a pessimistic miserable bastard xD

• Subscriber

I've said right from the off Sweden are one to be careful about. I had them to come above Mexico in their group (although behind Germany, admittedly who I didn't factor in would implode) because there's a reason that they keep coming through these tricky scenarios.

They came above Holland in qualifying, were not far off France at all (beating them at home) and then came past Italy in the play-offs, not conceding a goal over 180 minutes. They've now won 3 games in 4 in the World Cup (which is more than England, with in my eyes tougher opponents), only conceding two goals - a freak own goal and a wonder-strike.

Sweden are a good team. They're a typically drilled like most Scandinavian teams are, relying mainly on their defence, set-pieces and counter-attacking. They're eerily similar to Iceland but probably a bit better - the likes of Ekdal, Forsberg and Augustinsson are good players. They're very much a greater than the sum of their parts team. They shouldn't be taken lightly.

England have done some very un-England things this time around. I was impressed with our friendly performances - the draw against Italy actually irked me that we didn't get a deserved win and that's where I felt something was a bit different. We've had so many of these friendlies before tournaments in the past where we've in my eyes, fluked a result and that's ended up diverting people away from the fact we're under-prepared and disorganised. The last Euros was a perfect example. Three wins, three shit performances, four shit performances in the Euros, humiliation against Iceland.

This time we've done things differently. We've come up with a system and we've stuck to it. It's not perfect and it'll need some refining, but it's the first time in so long that I've felt we have a manager who knows what he wants from the team. He's made ballsy decisions, dropping both Rooney and Hart, of which I've no doubt both were the correct moves. We've hammered a side, albeit a shit one, that we'd normally stumble against, and of course - we won a fucking shootout!!!

Sweden is usually a bad opponent for us but I think we're going to scrape it. People should not be taking these lightly though. I do get a little fed up of it as it only causes for people to over-react when we don't slaughter them like some strangely seem to expect.

1-0 England, golden boot shoo-in Harry Kane once again.

Sweden plays a defensive minded game with Janne, somewhat similar to Iran with Carlos, defense is where its at. With a great defense and a few chances one can win games and win important games. Some call it luck, I call it tactics.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm already buzzing for tomorrow. Anyone else feeling it already?

been feeling it since Tuesday night  xDxD 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

been feeling it since Tuesday night  xDxD 

Wait till 3 o.clock tomorrow you'll be shitting your pants 

I'm out scouting this morning so I won't see a second of this, all I can say is I'm on the bandwagon for my 15% (however much I am) of English heritage. It's coming home!

I'm looking forward to today. Southgate and his team have really grew on me since i watched the pre-World Cup friendlies. I just couldn't get behind Hodgson's team and I think it would have been the same under Allardyce. It's nice to have an England team you can get behind again

Tough match to root for either side.

On one side there are a bunch of unspectacular but well-organised set-piece merchants whose captain’s main contribution is putting away stupidly-gifted penalties.

On the other hand, of course, there’s Sweden.

I've never been so nervous and excited about an England game, I usually only feel that with Liverpool. it could come back to bite me on the ass but I have a feeling we will do it in style today 3-0 no penalties needed, come on England!

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - Saturday 7th July - Sweden 0-2 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived