talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Willian Commits Future to Chelsea - Signs New 5-Year Deal

Willian has committed his future to Chelsea, rejecting reported approaches fromManchester United and Barcelona to remain at Stamford Bridge.

Speaking after Chelsea's Community Shield defeat to Manchester City, the Brazilian told reporters: "I've always made it very clear that I've always been very happy playing for Chelsea. I never said that I want to leave the club.

"This is a new era, with a new manager and I've had a very good conversation with him, so I hope we can enjoy a lot of victories."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am one of those Chelsea fans who normally sticks up for Willian. During these summer of the so called United and Barcelona interest I have been consistent thinking this was not being generated by Willian. Obviously with him taking court action against persons un-named we can understand why the know nothing media have been used to print & report total garbage lies. Shame he didnt have it in him to make public his feelings at the end of the world cup, but I am happy he will be sticking around.

Others are not so happy, which underlines my opening line. Willian is a bit Marmite for Chelsea fans.

• 2 months later...

We're a club that should be going into the deep stages of the Champions League every season given our resources. We're currently not even playing in the Champions League and having players like this bloke playing regularly for us doesn't help matters. Bizarrely there seems to be a lot of people who rate this guy in football so we shouldn't have any trouble finding suitors. His attitude and mentality has gotten worse over the years as well.

• The title was changed to Willian Commits Future to Chelsea
  • Subscriber

He sounds like Chelsea's Mirallas. Seems to do alright while the team is doing well then when the team struggles he's as poor as anyone else but others get more attention for whatever reason and this guy still gets rated as a decent player. His purple patch around February was Mirallas all over as well.

I still don't get why Chelsea didn't cash in in the summer.

Got to remember the two times he's won our POTS, we finished 10th and 6th in the league. His lack of end product has held us back for years. 

Willian made his professional debut in 2006, and since then, he has yet to score 50 league goals. 

On 22/10/2018 at 00:57, RandoEFC said:

He sounds like Chelsea's Mirallas. Seems to do alright while the team is doing well then when the team struggles he's as poor as anyone else but others get more attention for whatever reason and this guy still gets rated as a decent player. His purple patch around February was Mirallas all over as well.

I still don't get why Chelsea didn't cash in in the summer.

He barely manages that and we're playing more attacking football now which should help get the best out of him. His attitude stinks for me as well and you get this air of laziness about watching him nowadays, striking contrast to the Mourinho days where you could at least say he worked hard.

Off topic, but sort of relevant. Alonso is reportedly set to sign a new contract. 

I don't mind Alonso, however you know how I feel about him being our #1 choice left back. It's as if the goals he scores papers over the liabilities.

48 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Off topic, but sort of relevant. Alonso is reportedly set to sign a new contract. 

I don't mind Alonso, however you know how I feel about him being our #1 choice left back. It's as if the goals he scores papers over the liabilities.

How come every manager he's played under hasn't picked up on these liabilities you mention? 

He's one of the first players on the team sheet, week in week out?

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

How come every manager he's played under hasn't picked up on these liabilities you mention? 

Probably because there aren't many fantastic fullbakcs in the sport these days. Besides, I don't think he as bad as some say. Who would you pick over him? Chances are that player isn't available.

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Except, they have.

Conte wanted Alex Sandro to replace Alonso the summer of 2017. We are still also being linked with Alex Telles. 

Emerson as great as he is going forward, is shambolic defensively. It seems like Alonso's saving grace is the goals he scores. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Probably because there aren't many fantastic fullbakcs in the sport these days. Besides, I don't think he as bad as some say. Who would you pick over him? Chances are that player isn't available.

I'm pretty sure a club like Chelsea could afford to upgrade if they thought Alonso wasn't good enough. 

Fact is that he carries on nailing that spot down, under some very good managers. There's obviously a reason for that!

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm pretty sure a club like Chelsea could afford to upgrade if they thought Alonso wasn't good enough. 

Fact is that he carries on nailing that spot down, under some very good managers. There's obviously a reason for that!

You're right about that but I'm just saying that even if they thought he was rubbish who is available to replace him that is considerably better? I really can't think of anyone.

24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yet he carries on playing every game regardless?

I just mentioned that Emerson is rubbish defensively. 

28 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You're right. There is a reason.

For one, he was our only LB option for Conte in the 2017 season. (a signing mind you Conte never wanted) Summer after we won the league, Conte desperately wanted to upgrade with Alex Sandro yet the board kept low balling bids until Juve told us to do one. So, first half of the 2018 season we were stuck with Alonso as again the only option at LB. We got Emerson in January yet he was still recovering from an ACL injury. 

So again, both summers Conte wanted an upgrade on Alonso. Under Sarri, Alonso looks more comfortable in a possession minded system and scores the odd goal. However, games like against you lot and United, he gets exposed. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

I just mentioned that Emerson is rubbish defensively. 

You're right. There is a reason.

For one, he was our only LB option for Conte in the 2017 season. (a signing mind you Conte never wanted) Summer after we won the league, Conte desperately wanted to upgrade with Alex Sandro yet the board kept low balling bids until Juve told us to do one. So, first half of the 2018 season we were stuck with Alonso as again the only option at LB. We got Emerson in January yet he was still recovering from an ACL injury. 

So again, both summers Conte wanted an upgrade on Alonso. Under Sarri, Alonso looks more comfortable in a possession minded system and scores the odd goal. However, games like against you lot and United, he gets exposed. 

Did he play in the internationals recently? I'm tipping he didn't as surely such a liability wouldn't get into his nations side?!

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Did he play in the internationals recently? I'm tipping he didn't as surely such a liability wouldn't get into his nations side?!

Wasn't selected for the World Cup now was he. 

Even now, he's only in the team because Enrique has a grudge against Jodi Alba. 

Both Gaya and Alba are ahead of Alonso in the pecking order. 

• Subscriber

Need to stick Ashley Williams in a Chelsea shirt so that their fans can begin to understand the actual meaning of defensive liability :ph34r:.

Seriously though, Alonso had scored more goals this season than Chelsea had conceded in the league before Martial banged two in on Saturday.

He was caught out as recently as last week on England's first goal though. Defensively, he is a long way from being top class.

• The title was changed to Willian Commits Future to Chelsea - Signs New 5-Year Deal

Archived