talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Sign Jannick Vestergaard for £18m

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

A strong, solid defender with good passing and decent technical skills, which you don't normally expect from someone of his height. Still only 25 years old, has potential to improve as well, would definitely trust him to do well in England. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Can't believe he's only 25, seems to have been around forever xD!

Indeed, I even had to double check that, haha. Already an established player in the Bundesliga for a few years, too. Wish we could have kept him.

Southampton have agreed a £18m fee with Borussia Monchengladbach for defender Jannik Vestergaard, according to Sky sources.

The Denmark international, who went to the World Cup in Russia but did not feature, will undergo a medical this week at the Premier League side.

Personal terms are not expected to be a problem for the 25-year-old, who could become Saints' third signing of the summer following the arrivals of Mohamed Elyounoussi and Stuart Armstrong.

• Administrator
On 04/07/2018 at 11:17, nudge said:

Indeed, I even had to double check that, haha. Already an established player in the Bundesliga for a few years, too. Wish we could have kept him.

I’m Curious as to the sale, did he want to leave or was this seen as a good price for him? £18m is pretty low in this inflated marketplace 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Batard said:

I’m Curious as to the sale, did he want to leave or was this seen as a good price for him? £18m is pretty low in this inflated marketplace 

That might seem a bit low indeed, especially considering that Gladbach paid €12.5m to us a few years back and his contract runs out in 2021... at the same time though, I think it's still seen as a good price for a defender in Germany. And yes, it's been his dream to play in England, so the club probably didn't want to stand in his way as well.

Archived