• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arthur

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I was thinking the same mate, he looks to have settled straight into the side, he doesn't give the ball away, makes all the correct passes, is quick to react and does all the simple things right. I genuinely thought I was watching a young Xavi at first, without trying to go overboard off one game. After a run of games I could see him already being one of the first names on the team sheet.

He was playing against Luke Amos and Moussa Sissoko ffs xD

I didn't want to interject on Balon's usual romanticised hyperbole but at the end of the day you can't really read anything into this game because the opposition was so sub standard and he had so much time on the ball - not to say he won't go on to be special, but it's far too early to be likening him to Xavi etc. . 

21 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Thanks, @SirBalon. Great post! :congrats: I´m so happy for Arthur. I feel in love with his football last year, during Grêmio Libertadores run. I hope Barça fans appreciate his football as well.

You know what also I love? How quickly he and Rafinha got along and how he recognized what Rafinha did for him in their little together in the social medias. Arthur is a very special player and one tough guy, he left his family in Goiânia at 14 and went to Porto Alegre alone to chase the dream of becoming a football player. 

This kid, man. There are no midfielders like him in brazilian football, he made his way alone, despite being short, emulating his game after Xavi and Iniesta. He had other offers, but his dream was to play for Barcelona like his idols.

Grêmio´s director of youth teams said Arthur changed the way they saw football and now they´re trying to develop more midfielders like him, not only tall guys who defend well. I´m excited about the potential impact he can have in our football. 

Yeah, he's great at preseason, but can he pull it as sertanejo singer in a cold wednesday karaoke night?

I’ve watched a lot of this kid, I’ve noticed enough small details to recognise he won’t make it at the hghest level.

The next Fábio Rochemback. He’ll be at Middlesbrough in a few years. Log it

7 hours ago, Kowabunga said:

Yeah, he's great at preseason, but can he pull it as sertanejo singer in a cold wednesday karaoke night?

To be honest, I´m also into "sertanejo universitário". xD I´m surprised a spaniard know this stuff about Goiás. 

In the entire history of the World Cups there has never been a player born in  the state of Goías in the brazilian squad. We´re talking about an entire brazilian state . What a terrible record!xD  Hopefully, Arthur is the 1st in 2022. :115_nose:

• Subscriber

I know nothing about this kid and I've never seen him play but all of this hype surrounding him on here and from some English Barcelona fans on Twitter is already making me want to see him fail miserably.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I know nothing about this kid and I've never seen him play but all of this hype surrounding him on here and from some English Barcelona fans on Twitter is already making me want to see him fail miserably.

What if that hype and media attention was being aimed at a young player Everton had bought?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

What if that hype and media attention was being aimed at a young player Everton had bought?

I think you can answer that question yourself. Obviously I wouldn't want an Everton player to fail miserably. But firstly, that wouldn't happen anyway to the same extent because it's not Barcelona. And secondly, even if it did the narrative would still irritate me and I'd not be taking part in any of the over exaggeration. I'd be excited sure but if there's one thing in football that pissed me off it's this constant need of fans and media to create a narrative for every player in the world, label them the next Player X in some cases, set unrealistically high expectations due to a certain transfer fee in other cases etc.

The exaggeration over this young man doesn't annoy me because it's Barcelona, it annoys me because it's yet another case of a young player from a usual suspect country at a usual suspect club and people just can't help themselves comparing him to all time greats and how he could be this and could be that when he touches down 5 minutes ago and scored against another teams reserves in a pre season friendly.

30 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think you can answer that question yourself. Obviously I wouldn't want an Everton player to fail miserably. But firstly, that wouldn't happen anyway to the same extent because it's not Barcelona. And secondly, even if it did the narrative would still irritate me and I'd not be taking part in any of the over exaggeration. I'd be excited sure but if there's one thing in football that pissed me off it's this constant need of fans and media to create a narrative for every player in the world, label them the next Player X in some cases, set unrealistically high expectations due to a certain transfer fee in other cases etc.

The exaggeration over this young man doesn't annoy me because it's Barcelona, it annoys me because it's yet another case of a young player from a usual suspect country at a usual suspect club and people just can't help themselves comparing him to all time greats and how he could be this and could be that when he touches down 5 minutes ago and scored against another teams reserves in a pre season friendly.

I get all of your arguments and there is a lot of fair foundation in them apart from wishing the player to fail.  The reason I suspect that there's a lot being made out of this particular signing is because the search for a central midfielder at Barcelona (under the requirements necessary) was starting to look and seem rather desperate. The club didn't feel there was anyone coming through the present youth setups in terms of being old enough to play and outside the club it's always been difficult (extremely difficult) to find that type of player.

The fact that right now from the little that's been seen of him at the club looks to be promising (the headline on the Mundo Deportivo front page says it all) and with similarities in the manner Xavi used to move on the pitch, well this is what you get.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Except the last two Brazilians that were hyped this highly by their own country, were Jesus and Neymar, and look how they turned out. 

Barca have every right to be excited about this lad, as he shows vastly similar qualities to Xavi. Why can't fans get excited over a friendly/debut from a player? 

It  has zero to do with him scoring the other day. It was a friendly, nobody takes a friendly seriously apart from Americans. But he's already showing that he'll have zero problems settling in at Barcelona, he's already making friends and seems a very mature and confident young lad, which is as important as having ability.

The last time we had a discussion similar to this is when people were claiming Neymar wouldn't handle Europe for the fact that they had seen him once vs England in a friendly.

Archived