Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Would you rather England finished 2nd or 3rd

Got beat in the semis, but then win the 3rd/4th place playoff, or get beat in the final?

Obviously, IF we get to the semis you will want us to win, but just say you knew we'd get beat in the final, would you rather lose in the semis and then win the 3rd/4th place off?

Edited by shut up

football forum

This is a bloody strange question xD

I get that there is a bitter feel when losing the final as opposed to finishing 3rd, but at the end of the day being the runner up of the World Cup is better than finishing 3rd or 4th. 

I think it would be painted more of a success if we won the 3rd place play off, than if we lost in the final

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

I think it would be painted more of a success if we won the 3rd place play off, than if we lost in the final

I think you should stop worrying about placing 2nd, 3rd or fourth and look at winning the whole thing. After last night surely there must be some sense of belief about how far you'll can go in this tournament and if there is a chance take it. You're still firmly in it and should be aiming at beating everyone along the way irrespective of who they are.

2nd because that means we'd have won the semi final. Imagine what that would actually feel like. Fuck me. Especially for a hope historically as starved and beaten up as English hope. Just being in a semi final would be immense.

The celebrations last night to get to the quarters were absolutely mental. The more wins we can keep getting the more mental it is going to get, the deeper the memories, the bonds with strangers and friends, the buzz, the excitement, the thrill, the fear, the ups, the downs.

Come on this is football at it's absolute finest. If you are not feeling it right now it's time to give up the sport or start taking heavy drugs for the feeling of euphoria.

• Like 1

definitely prefer to win a semi-final and experience a final, albeit lose it than not get there at all. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah. Also worth noting the third place playoff (brazil, france belgium) will likely be harder to win than the semi final you'd have lost (croatia). So 4th is more likely to occur than third. 

The reality is silver is better than bronze. And nobody cares about the third place playoff. 

Edited by Harry

5 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Come on this is football at it's absolute finest. If you are not feeling it right now it's time to give up the sport or start taking heavy drugs for the feeling of euphoria.

Just two weeks ago international football should be scrapped xD

• Upvote 2

Get to a World Cup final or win a glorified friendly? Not even close.

• Upvote 1

I’d rather finish 3rd than runner-up. Yes, the participation in a final is massive and winning a semi-final is mind blowing. But being so close to football’s holy grail and not being able to touch it coupled with watching the day’s rival’s celebrations is sickening and possibly the worst football feeling anyone could suffer. You aren’t gonna get more credit for making the final and losing it when you’re a big footballing name the size of England. This isn’t Sweden or Croatia getting to the final and losing. 

54 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I’d rather finish 3rd than runner-up. Yes, the participation in a final is massive and winning a semi-final is mind blowing. But being so close to football’s holy grail and not being able to touch it coupled with watching the day’s rival’s celebrations is sickening and possibly the worst football feeling anyone could suffer. You aren’t gonna get more credit for making the final and losing it when you’re a big footballing name the size of England. This isn’t Sweden or Croatia getting to the final and losing. 

They would get more credit beating Croatia/Russia and losing to Brazil/France/Belgium than visa versa. Go as far as you can, always.

I'm not too invested though, it'd be a good excuse for a few pints if they win like.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Only because of marketing reasons, any sane person knows England isn't a big name in international football for a while now. 

6 hours ago, Machado said:

Just two weeks ago international football should be scrapped xD

Never said back then I wasn't part of the emotions that keep it going. Just pointed out what they were and how they create a situation in which logic and legitimacy go out of the window.

International football is so much purer than cub football despite Fifas  best efforts and affiliation with it. 

Definitely losing finalists. Can you actually imagine watching England win a World Cup semi final with a bunch of other England fans? Would be actually insane. 3rd place is a nice consolation but it's nothing more than winning a friendly that you have to play straight after getting knocked out of the tournament.

I'd rather lose the final then win a pointless match after being knocked out. At least the final's got some meaning, whereas winning 3rd place your team gets to come home on a high note.... but not really because you still didn't win the World Cup. It's still a low note. And you didn't even make the final.

At least if you lose in the final, you've lost to the World Champions.

• Upvote 1

the shouldn't even be in the semi finals! Let them play a rematch with Colombia!

• Haha 2