talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Does or will Gareth Southgate deserve an apology?

Right now, I would place them 4th most likely to win the world cup. Granted the teams I have 1-3 (in order) are Brazil, France, and Belgium, and they will cannibalize one another on the way to the final (Sorry Uruguay)

I think England has a great chance to make it to the final, where anything can happens, but I have no idea who anyone can complain about this campaign thus far from England. You (English) look great with what looks like a lot of young talent, and I'm not sure there is a striker left that I feel more passion from than Kane. 

It would still surprise me if England WON the tournament, but that's not we are discussing. I think Gareth has done a very good job in a year where we have seen a lot of 'heavy weights' fail early and are at home. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I don't think we've even played that well... we either had opponents that were totally inept (and even then we barely made it past Tunisia and Colombia) or we lost. This heavy reliance on penalties and set pieces is a bit of a worry as well. And we lucked out with big teams shitting the bed which has left us with a manageable road to the final.

I don't think much of it has been down to great management.

6 hours ago, 6666 said:

To be honest, I don't think we've even played that well... we either had opponents that were totally inept (and even then we barely made it past Tunisia and Colombia) or we lost. This heavy reliance on penalties and set pieces is a bit of a worry as well. And we lucked out with big teams shitting the bed which has left us with a manageable road to the final.

I don't think much of it has been down to great management.

I think Southgate has set us up good defensively and focused on set pieces leading to the amount of penalty claims and efforts we've had from them. He's also relieved pressure off of them which has been evident before the tournament and was shown when we won a penalty shoot out.

He's been no Guardiola but has definitely been a large reason as to why we're in the quarter finals.

• Subscriber

An apology is a weird way of putting it but I had my doubts to say the least when he was given the job. I was very much in the camp of FFS typical FA giving it to a yes man and jobs for the boys. He's hit all of the right notes this summer though.

36 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

An apology is a weird way of putting it but I had my doubts to say the least when he was given the job. I was very much in the camp of FFS typical FA giving it to a yes man and jobs for the boys. He's hit all of the right notes this summer though.

This. I don't know if an apology is the right word... maybe from the media, but you can't blame English football fans for having big reservations about his appointment. We went from an uninspiring appointment in Bung-Taking Fat Sam to a man who's club management career sort of fizzled out in an incredibly disappointing way; there was a lot of reason to have doubts.

But this summer he's been great and it's been actually refreshing seeing this England side, which I think talent wise isn't that great compared to previous England sides and I think a lot of people will agree with that. Yet he's got the side playing to their strengths and looking like a cohesive team that's got ideas on how to go about games. We also won a penalty shootout in the World Cup.

Regardless of whatever happens against Sweden, I think Southgate's done enough to show the country that he's a good fit as the England manager. I think he's been refreshing in many regards, from the pitch to his media relations.

17 hours ago, Toinho said:

TFF is quite different now. Went to the URL, just some blog posts. Better than this forum. But, not better than SirBalon.

I'm touched mate, but some people won't like that. :x

Can't say I have had any real expectation of England over the years, we have showed promise here and there but always seemed to have come up short in one way or another so as far as Southgate is concerned if we fail again toward the final hurdles he will be no different to all those other Managers that have gone before him which will be a shame because you might have thought we could find one that got the mix right and had that bit of luck that took us all the way for a change..

Due to the back catalogue of past failures I didn't really have an opinion of Southgate either way when he was appointed and was just glad we didn't come strutting in with Allardyce at the helm.. he does come across as a bit of a gentleman and quite humble and for those reasons I wish him well

Then they say English people aren't passionate! 

The press and media are a reflection of their society because they make money from selling what society need.  The changes and ilogical swaying of passion in English culture is just as pronounced as in most places.

The only difference in the display of passion is (using Latin culture) is that you won't find too many English people getting either overly joyful of a wonderful piece of food or going crazy when they're served some stodgy nonsense... Etc... If you understand where I'm going.

Archived