talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Florian Jozefzoon - Derby Complete Signing

football forum

One of the few players I wish we could get on a long term contract, is class and is dangerous in front of goal.

But has a year left on his contract so I imagine we'll be looking for anything up to £3m.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Created a topic in the FL forum!

But he's good, technically sound, fast, a threat from outwide. He didn't score a shitload for us last season but he grew into it as it went on, when he scores they're just top class strikes. We got him either on a free or (I've heard) £250k-£500k...it was a short term contract offered initially so I don't think either of us expect him to be with us for too long, we can make a few bob out of him and we also get a winger that could probably play for any side in the division. If he can double his goal tally then he'll blitz the division because his efforts are all class.

The thing with playing for us is the wages, players like developing with us and putting themselves on the shop window as well as trying to win promotion but if the right bid comes in they'll be off as they can double their wages at least. Generally we're starting to sign players on 4-5 year deals, get 2-3 years out of them, either they renew or we sell for a big profit. This deal I think was more of a one off, worst comes to the worst we've made some decent money on him but he wouldn't have come to us if he couldn't have left for a bigger club once he's established himself in the division. Win win for everyone really, we'll just replace him on the cheap and someone silly will whack a load of money on him when they could get as good for 3/4 less.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lucas @Danny

Leeds have matched Derby’s bid for Brentford winger Florian Jozefzoon, Sky Sports News understands.

It is understood the fee is £2.75m plus add-ons and Jozefzoon will now decide which club he prefers, with one source suggesting he would rather join Leeds.

Sky Sports News reported on Wednesday that Derby's bid was accepted by the Bees, after an initial bid of £1.5m was rejected by the West London club earlier this month.

The 27-year-old Jozefzoon, who scored seven goals in 43 appearances last season, moved to Griffin Park from PSV Eindhoven in January 2017 and has just a year left on his current contract.

Brentford have already signed a replacement in Said Benrahma from Nice with the Algeria attacker agreeing a four-year contract with a year's option after completing a medical with the club earlier this week.

If I'm completely honest, I don't know a great deal about him. Obviously judging from the comments made by @Danny, he is a tidy player and one that would hopefully improve us. I don't want us signing players for the sake of it which is what we did last season and found out so many of them were absolute duds. That said, I am very concerned about the state of the squad at the moment quality wise so if he improves that, I'm all for it.

It will be interesting to see what club he prefers. Derby have Lampard, it's a new era under him, and he's looking to build a younger side. They are a decent sized club for the division and have been a lot closer to going up than we ever have in recent times.

But then we are Leeds. And I think to many players, we are still perceived as the 'Big Fish' down here. The fact we have Bielsa now too should only add to our 'pull'. Hopefully we can wrap this one up pretty quick before anyone else get's involved. I have heard West Brom are interested also and they obviously will be in a better financial position to offer personal terms wise over ourselves or Derby.

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

If I'm completely honest, I don't know a great deal about him. Obviously judging from the comments made by @Danny, he is a tidy player and one that would hopefully improve us. I don't want us signing players for the sake of it which is what we did last season and found out so many of them were absolute duds. That said, I am very concerned about the state of the squad at the moment quality wise so if he improves that, I'm all for it.

It will be interesting to see what club he prefers. Derby have Lampard, it's a new era under him, and he's looking to build a younger side. They are a decent sized club for the division and have been a lot closer to going up than we ever have in recent times.

But then we are Leeds. And I think to many players, we are still perceived as the 'Big Fish' down here. The fact we have Bielsa now too should only add to our 'pull'. Hopefully we can wrap this one up pretty quick before anyone else get's involved. I have heard West Brom are interested also and they obviously will be in a better financial position to offer personal terms wise over ourselves or Derby.

It sounds like he's chosen Derby who seem to be building a pretty good team. I'm surprised with their ambition at the moment that Rowett walked.

It's a shame to see him go but he wouldn't have signed with us in the first place if something like this wasn't on the cards.

He should really be a first team player, you signed Dallas off of us and I don't know how much you play him but he was always a squad player with us. Flo was a starter for us and if he can improve his goal tally will be one of the best wingers in the league.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

It sounds like he's chosen Derby who seem to be building a pretty good team. I'm surprised with their ambition at the moment that Rowett walked.

By all accounts, he's getting a big deal. Which is a little concerning for us given Derby were supposedly struggling financially.

Either they are 'gambling' this season on going up or they are banking on the sale of Vydra. But either way, that's three good signings for them the past couple days.

I didn't expect us to go nuts and spend millions but I thought we'd be showing more ambition than this. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

By all accounts, he's getting a big deal. Which is a little concerning for us given Derby were supposedly struggling financially.

Either they are 'gambling' this season on going up or they are banking on the sale of Vydra. But either way, that's three good signings for them the past couple days.

I didn't expect us to go nuts and spend millions but I thought we'd be showing more ambition than this. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Who's in charge of your transfers? You've gone from spunking money up the wall on anyone to signing nobody.

Still got a decent side though? Maybe Bielsa feels he can push it on.

11 hours ago, Danny said:

Who's in charge of your transfers? You've gone from spunking money up the wall on anyone to signing nobody.

Still got a decent side though? Maybe Bielsa feels he can push it on.

Victor Orta. He basically runs transfer dealings.

I think long are the days we've spunked money up the wall, you'll be hard pushed to see us having splashed big in recent years. But that said, I'm disappointed we don't have more to show for all the talent that has left us, albeit cheaply.

Bielsa has said he wants a small squad. He wants to trim the fat. I just doubt the quality of the group we have. But who knows, maybe he sees enough talent there to work with. To be fair, I think we are capable and better than where we finished last season. But we ultimately want more.

• The title was changed to Florian Jozefzoon - Derby Complete Signing
6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Victor Orta. He basically runs transfer dealings.

I think long are the days we've spunked money up the wall, you'll be hard pushed to see us having splashed big in recent years. But that said, I'm disappointed we don't have more to show for all the talent that has left us, albeit cheaply.

Bielsa has said he wants a small squad. He wants to trim the fat. I just doubt the quality of the group we have. But who knows, maybe he sees enough talent there to work with. To be fair, I think we are capable and better than where we finished last season. But we ultimately want more.

I read somewhere that players ask you for ridiculous wages because of past signings and so you're just a saying no whilst trying to clear the wage budget out. Not a bad long term project.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Signed for Derby.

Lampard making some astute signings for Derby, be interesting to watch them next season.

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It must frustrating seeing some of these players help progress teams like Burnley @Danny? You imagine the ex Brentford players will get there shit together at Birmingham under Monk this season.

Not really, we bought him for next to nothing, signed him on a short term deal, got a good season out of him and sold for £3m. That's great business. We still have Watkins, Canos, Benrahma and now Ogbene to play outwide, on that regard we've already replaced him.

He was a good player but still 8 goals is just 8 goals, I'm expecting Maupay to have a better season this season and expecting Marcondes to finally kick on so a season to look forward to.

Archived