talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gonzalo Higuaín Signs For AC Milan

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Because we don't invest that much money in players that provide no long term benefit or resale value. Our board doesn't operate that way. 

I've said it maybe 100 times. 

Maybe you didn't in the past, but perhaps you will this time.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Do you guys expect Sarri to get anything better out of Morata? The guy talks big about being able to coach the best out of players, Morata is a prime example of a potential £60m player in Chelsea's squad playing like a £25m player and with the right guidance to switch that around, could be as valuable to the squad as any new striker that's available this window.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Do you guys expect Sarri to get anything better out of Morata? The guy talks big about being able to coach the best out of players, Morata is a prime example of a potential £60m player in Chelsea's squad playing like a £25m player and with the right guidance to switch that around, could be as valuable to the squad as any new striker that's available this window.

I don't know. 

Morata was great up until his injury. He has missed a bucket load of easy chances this season. He doesn't come across as an 'elite' finisher, to which you either have it or you don't. Really don't know if that is coachable now given his age. 

Could be wrong. I'd give him another season for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't know. 

Morata was great up until his injury. He has missed a bucket load of easy chances this season. He doesn't come across as an 'elite' finisher, to which you either have it or you don't. Really don't know if that is coachable now given his age. 

Could be wrong. I'd give him another season for sure. 

In his first season with us, Suarez looked pretty wasteful with his chances. Also Salah early on last season, he was scoring goals all season but he could have had a hell of a lot more if he was as clinical as he was from December onwards. I think a strikers finishing ability is partially down to talent and partially down to confidence. Look at Torres with us and Torres with Chelsea - even in that season we sold him and he looked like he'd lost his legs, he was still banging them in for us. At Chelsea though he lost confidence for some reason, maybe because he just had a big money move and his body was beginning to crap out on him. And even though he never had that same blazing change of pace that would fucking destroy defenses, there were so many times at Chelsea where he had an easy chance and his finish would be totally dogshite. Also if he was great up until his injury, maybe something about not wanting to get injured again is always in the back of his brain. Sturridge recently said that after years of his injury nightmares, some of the time when he'd get on the pitch all he'd want to do was make sure he wouldn't have another lengthy layout again. Pretty sure he said that right before his WBA debut and getting injured after a few minutes, poor fucker lol.

Maybe he just needs a confidence boost and he'll start finishing better, not everyone is an Inzaghi-like stone cold fox in the box. It was also his first season in the league, it's not uncommon for a player new to the league to perform much better after a year in the league at their new side.

I think he's a good player and if I were a Chelsea fan I wouldn't want to give up on him just yet. Like you said, he was great up until his injury. There's potential in him and it'd be a shame to cut him loose early only for a rival to eventually unlock that potential and use it against Chelsea.

34 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Do you recall Thierry Henry's first season for Arsenal?  Infact right now Henry and Morata have many things in common after the Frenchman's first season for the club.  With this I'm not saying that Morata can reach Henry's level but the similarities are astounding considering the difficulties of where they'd payed and how they'd performed.

I would take Morata for Arsenal in a blink of an eye.  The most difficult thing for a striker to do is to have the intelligence to get into goal scoring situations and the finishing in my view is down to confidence.

I wouldn’t take Higuian at all. Great player but on the decline. Would have snatched Real’s hand off in 2013. There has to be something wrong if Juve is shopping him after two seasons. Maybe fitness issues? He has been yo-yoing in weight for a few years. Maybe Jj feel like his body is burning out and the return won’t be positive.

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

I wouldn’t take Higuian at all. Great player but on the decline. Would have snatched Real’s hand off in 2013. There has to be something wrong if Juve is shopping him after two seasons. Maybe fitness issues? He has been yo-yoing in weight for a few years. Maybe Jj feel like his body is burning out and the return won’t be positive.

Nothing wrong. He just doesn't get along with Allegri anymore (same thing happened with Bonucci last season) and he stated he would like to play in the prem around two months ago, plus Juve now have CR7 and it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to make some nice money on a player that is not quite happy and is the second highest earner on the club.

On 19/07/2018 at 21:27, SirBalon said:

Do you recall Thierry Henry's first season for Arsenal?  Infact right now Henry and Morata have many things in common after the Frenchman's first season for the club.  With this I'm not saying that Morata can reach Henry's level but the similarities are astounding considering the difficulties of where they'd payed and how they'd performed.

I would take Morata for Arsenal in a blink of an eye.  The most difficult thing for a striker to do is to have the intelligence to get into goal scoring situations and the finishing in my view is down to confidence.

Henry had a very good first season at Arsenal, 26 goals and he was signed as a winger. He took a few games to get off the mark but he came good pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Pardon my hijito. El pendejo todavia cree que higuain es un crack/World Class player. He won't leave his comfort zone. 

Porque lo es hijito tonto, se que te gustan las estadisticas asi que porque no miras un poco las suyas y dejas de decir tantas sandeces! Also go dab and trust the fucking process for the fivefold season or so after yet another failure. ;)

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Henry had a very good first season at Arsenal, 26 goals and he was signed as a winger. He took a few games to get off the mark but he came good pretty quickly.

Henry was missing chances left right and centre (I was there) and indeed ended the season well which showed in his scoring.  Henry wasn't a part of a multi competitive division and also add to this that Morata had an inverted season by comparison because he started pretty well, got injured and started missing blatant chances.

What I'm saying (was saying) is that finishing is most of the time connected to confidence has the hardest thing is to be good enough to get into the blatant goal scoring situations Morata gets himself into. Plus the age difference and the possibilities always favour youth rather than the scientific proof we have that humans deteriorate physically.

I've always been a massive fan of Higuaín, but right now I'd be looking elsewhere if I'm not happy with what I have. 

Disagree with you on finish @SirBalon, some players will always need 2-3-4-5 efforts on goal before they score and you just can't get that out of them. Whether it's confidence or coordination.

Not saying that will be Morata, it was just his first season in England, but some players just aren't clinical.

If Chelsea are going two upfront this may not be a bad deal. Giroud would probably be able to make it work with either Morata or Higauin based on his World Cup showing.

I'd be concerned about this if Chelsea were going one upfront mind you. Nothing against Higuain who has had am absolutely class career at times but this league is very demanding for one up top at the elite title winning level, and at his age of be concerned he may be able to cut it for two years at most.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonzalo Higuain’s brother and agent Nicolas is set to meet with Juventusexecutives to talk about the striker’s future, according to Sky in Italy.

It is understood that Higuain wants to establish exit terms with Juventus before seeking an agreement with other clubs this summer.

Sky in Italy are reporting that while there has been no direct contact from Chelseawith Higuain, Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund have shown an interest.

Higuain's future could also affect what happens with Leonardo Bonucci, Mattia Caldara and Alvaro Morata.

Higuaín is very close to moving to Milan as a part of the Bonucci-Caldari swap. This would be deal:

Bonucci's cost [€40m] - Caldara's cost [€40m]

Higuaín on loan [€18m] with an option to redeem for [€36m]

Great piece of business by Milan. Gonzalito arrived at Juventus training camp really thin and looked primed for a strong season, Caldara is a promissing young defender. 

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Can't imagine Higuain in Milan's colours for some reason.

It would really be a come-down if Higuaín were to go to AC Milan.  Not because I'm disrespecting the institution of AC Milan in any way shape or form because only a fool would do that.  I'm talking about the mess that AC Milan is these days and then put into perspective where Gonzalo Higuaín was only two summers ago arriving in Turin as an all out conqueror having just ended up the all time top scorer of Italian club football history in one season and the most expensive signing in Serie 'A' history.  Now, enter Cristiano Ronaldo and we have this?

Totally incredible if true.

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It would really be a come-down if Higuaín were to go to AC Milan.  Not because I'm disrespecting the institution of AC Milan in any way shape or form because only a fool would do that.  I'm talking about the mess that AC Milan is these days and then put into perspective where Gonzalo Higuaín was only two summers ago arriving in Turin as an all out conqueror having just ended up the all time top scorer of Italian club football history in one season and the most expensive signing in Serie 'A' history.  Now, enter Cristiano Ronaldo and we have this?

Totally incredible if true.

American hedge fund Elliott took over the club. They´re serious in wanting the team to return to the Champions League. 

And if there is a guy who knows how to convince players to join his club it´s Leonardo. I think Higuaín will go to Milan. 

It´s great deal for Milan. Probably their best since getting Ibra from Barcelona. Caldara has great potential and they´ll be getting the most prolific scorer in Serie A. As good as Bonucci, they´re getting the best out of Juve here.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

American hedge fund Elliott took over the club. They´re serious in wanting the team to return to the Champions League. 

And if there is a guy who knows how to convince players to join his club it´s Leonardo. I think Higuaín will go to Milan. 

It´s great deal for Milan. Probably their best since getting Ibra from Barcelona. Caldara has great potential and they´ll be getting the most prolific scorer in Serie A. As good as Bonucci, they´re getting the best out of Juve here.

I get what you mean but when you look at the whole picture taking the triangle into perspective, to me it doesn't give off good signals in any direction. If it benefits anyone, I think it's positive for Juve right at this minute.  But only time will tell and there's not long to wait until the story starts to unfold where it matters which is on the football pitches.

55 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I get what you mean but when you look at the whole picture taking the triangle into perspective, to me it doesn't give off good signals in any direction. If it benefits anyone, I think it's positive for Juve right at this minute.  But only time will tell and there's not long to wait until the story starts to unfold where it matters which is on the football pitches.

I think the deal benefits Milan by a significant margin. They get a striker they´ve been missing for a while and they settle their defence for a long time with Caldara and Romagnoli. 

Milan has long ways to go, but in my opinion this is a step in the right direction.

24 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I think the deal benefits Milan by a significant margin. They get a striker they´ve been missing for a while and they settle their defence for a long time with Caldara and Romagnoli. 

Milan has long ways to go, but in my opinion this is a step in the right direction.

Fair enough mate... Can’t argue with that as of now because only time will tell in that sense.

But what does it say about Higuaín considering how he arrived in Turin only two summers ago?

I say this also in terms of being part of a swap deal. 

17 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Fair enough mate... Can’t argue with that as of now because only time will tell in that sense.

But what does it say about Higuaín considering how he arrived in Turin only two summers ago?

I say this also in terms of being part of a swap deal. 

What could it say about him?, maybe that he's a bit unlucky, but what else?

Regarding the exchange above between you and Ricardo, i agree with the latter. Milan are the biggest winners by a large margin in this if it were to happen, they get rid of Bonucci who has a sizeable wage and who has been a huge underperformer without losing money and they get one of Europe's most promising CBs and one of the best strikers without even paying upfront.

8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

What could it say about him?, maybe that he's a bit unlucky, but what else?

Regarding the exchange above between you and Ricardo, i agree with the latter. Milan are the biggest winners by a large margin in this if it were to happen, they get rid of Bonucci who has a sizeable wage and who has been a huge underperformer without losing money and they get one of Europe's most promising CBs and one of the best strikers without even paying upfront.

I know and I agree on principle but we can’t forget the boom Higuaín’s move from Napoli to Juventus caused and the reasons why Juve invested a record breaking fee in Italian football for.

The change in two years is mental.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Can't imagine Higuain in Milan's colours for some reason.

Shorly he's to good for them right now? I mean this isn't the Milan of old.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I know and I agree on principle but we can’t forget the boom Higuaín’s move from Napoli to Juventus caused and the reasons why Juve invested a record breaking fee in Italian football for.

The change in two years is mental.

The more I think about this deal, the more I think it´s one great piece of business by Milan. Absolutely brilliant operation if they complete it. And a deal we might remember for many years due to its impact to italian football. It also makes sense Juventus, but in my opinion Milan is the clear winner here.

Remember, Juventus spent a lot this summer. If I´m not wrong, Real Madrid demanded they paid all of Ronaldo´s fee upfront and not instalments, they also bought Douglas Costa, Perin and Cancelo. Juventus needed to make cash and get Higuaín´s wages out of their books, whilst needing to buy one more experienced defender. Ronaldo is 34 and they´re going all in to win the Champions League in the next 3 seasons. 

Milan had the defender, they needed a striker but they didn´t bite Juve´s first offer for a straight Higuaín-Bonucci swap. And here´s the beauty of the deal. Milan may have helped Juventus´goal of winning the Champions League but they made them pay heavily when they made Juve throw Mattia Caldara in the deal.

Remember, Caldara was brought last year from Atalanta. He was considered part of Juventus future and Milan managed to get him. And now not only Milan has a striker they needed since Ibrahimovic left the club in 2012, they´ve also settled their central defence for the a long period of time with Romagnoli and Caldara. 

Juventus clear and rightly so don´t see Milan as competition. And they´re not at the moment. But you have to wonder if this might not have awakened a sleeping giant in the long run. 

• The title was changed to Gonzalo Higuaín Signs For AC Milan

Archived