talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mikel Merino Joins Real Sociedad

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He got a back injury and then Diame and Shelvey became great together and Merino never came back in. He was overlooked toward the end of the season as well when we had nothing to play for.

I think this will be one that got away.

Let's just pause for a minute and take in the absolute stupidity of putting a £10m release clause in the contract of a player who could have ended up worth £30m in no time. 

Imagine he didn't get a back injury and carried on his form til the end of the season. He'd be joining Liverpool for £10m or something. Incredible.

This club is ran by real morons and they've avoided severe embarrassment here.

All been confirmed at £12,000,000. Must be thrilled that means you're going to get three new players out of that money @Harvsky?

I'm surprised in all honesty he's making what seems like a side step. He will get opportunities over the coming season at Newcastle United, and it would no doubt be easier to impress a top six or European elite by playing in The Premier League.

Albeit if he's putting these clauses in his contracts every time he signs for somebody he's obviously not thinking longer than one season.

On 12/07/2018 at 16:32, The Palace Fan said:

All been confirmed at £12,000,000. Must be thrilled that means you're going to get three new players out of that money @Harvsky?

I'm surprised in all honesty he's making what seems like a side step. He will get opportunities over the coming season at Newcastle United, and it would no doubt be easier to impress a top six or European elite by playing in The Premier League.

Albeit if he's putting these clauses in his contracts every time he signs for somebody he's obviously not thinking longer than one season.

If you impress at Real Sociedad though, then there is a high chance that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico will go in for him and as a Spaniard, I think he would favour a big move like that over one in England.

Real Sociedad are also a brilliant club to go to as a young player. They have produced a lot of quality themselves over the years in the likes of Prieto, Illarramendi, Griezmann and recently, Oyarzabal and Odriozola. Then you look at what they did with players like Vela and Rulli.

5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

What were the ages of Illarramendi and Griezmann when they left put of interest? I think Atletico is the best he could hope for, but then again we all remember the time Real Madrid signed Lassana Diarra.

That just reminds me of that one time where Real Madrid signed Gravesen. 

33 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That just reminds me of that one time where Real Madrid signed Gravesen. 

Oh yes. Signing players like Gravesen and Walter Samuel was the least Madrid thing ever. Not because they're bad players, they just never suited the club or the league.

15 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Whilst my comment about Gravesen was tongue in cheek and with a fishing rod out it's funny how people try to rewrite history. 

Thomas played 34 times in his season with Real. Sure he was moved on for a "Galactico" to come but it's not as if he was out of his depth and made a handful of games, he was very much an integral part of that side.

Like @The Palace Fan said though, it's not that he's a bad player. It's just a weird signing for Real Madrid to have made.

Archived