talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Tuesday 10th July - France 1-0 Belgium

football forum

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

I think DD has a lot of merit for building a french team that works as a unity and is commited to winning. France always had the talent but off the pitch they were a mess for a long time.

True. But i want Dischamps to go and than France go for Zidane a coach that this generation deserves.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Eco said:

Fellini is coming off. 

Didn't know we were discussing cinema, in this thread. 

Belgium looked toothless. France were solid and only needed one chance to put it away. As much as I don't like it, they have the mark of a great side.

Out of curiosity, two years ago today since Éder left the entire France crying. And now they are going to another final, this time the most important of them all. Funny how life is.

28 minutes ago, Machado said:

Was not a bad game but expected a bit more in terms of goals and all that. Meh.

Exactly my thoughts.  

I dunno was pogba even that influential in this game?

Lloris proved me wrong. Thought Belgium had the edge in goal. 

Mbappe was kept in check.  

In fairness I stopped watching after the goal as I figured that would be it. 

Belgium couldn't muster the comeback instinct like vs Japan 

Once again I thought France were excellent. No matter the quality of the opposition they've remained disciplined and organised. Pogba was brilliant at nullifying Fellaini, Kante was doing the ugly stuff well, Varane was winning everything and Umtiti had his best game yet. They're going to be a nightmare against either Croatia or England with Mbappe running on the counter too. That's something England haven't faced yet.

In my opinion were looking at the worthy Champions right now and Didier Deschamps deserves a lot of credit that he doesn't get with how disciplined and organised he's created this squad every game.

As for Belgium, I really wanted them to win. I think they've been fantastic throughout this tournament, and I'm glad the world has got to see the fantastic distribution that Kevin DeBruyne. They all deserve the tag of Golden Generation after this World Cup.

9 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

True. But i want Dischamps to go and than France go for Zidane a coach that this generation deserves.

That´d be great. I´d love to see Zidane coaching France, but I think Zizou also incorporates some pragmatism. Conte, Deschamps and Zidane played and were influenced by Lippi. 

Griezmann and Giroud were pretty terrible in attack but they were good as the first line of defence.

Belgium will be disappointed they didn't do more, France didn't need to do anything special here.

France has been edging toward greatness. QF in 2014.  Lost the EURO 2016 finals in extra time.  Should be champions in 2018 based on play and history....but that's why they play the games

hope the final provides drama and excitement 

33 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Danny Murphy's love for Mbappe was tedious. Looking forward to tomorrow and being somewhere I can't hear the commentary

What at Wimbledon :ph34r:

I thought it was just me getting annoyed by Murphy's bullshit about Mbappe. He showed flashes of great talent a few times but that was about it. Murphy was going on about him like he was the greatest thing he's ever seen. xD His shithousing near the end of the last two games was a bigger contribution to France's wins than what he did with the ball.

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I thought it was just me getting annoyed by Murphy's bullshit about Mbappe. He showed flashes of great talent a few times but that was about it. Murphy was going on about him like he was the greatest thing he's ever seen. xD His shithousing near the end of the last two games was a bigger contribution to France's wins than what he did with the ball.

Banging on about his age as well as if we've never seen anyone 19 make a successful pass.

• Subscriber

I thought that was a very good game between two very good teams. France have really clicked the longer this tournament has gone on and I think they'll go all the way now. For all the stick Deschamps has received, me included, he's made two finals on the spin. They bottled it in 2016 for me after being underwhelming for large parts of the tournament and I thought this time around was going to be similar but they've clicked into a very tough to break down unit with some serious quality on the break. The likes of Pogba have turned up as well.

Belgium weren't bad but France just that bit better. Not a load more to it than that.

• Subscriber

Often tournament winners start off slow, pace themselves and grow into the tournament, peaking in the last three rounds or so.

I've lost count the number of tournaments where people have said Team X looked a bit shaky in the group stage and will get knocked out as soon as they face a strong opponent, only for them to end up in the final. France look to fit that bill here, and they've reached the final pretty unscathed, no extra time or penalties and only a brief phase of the Argentina game where they were behind were they at serious risk of going out.

Whoever wins the other semi final France will go in as rightful favourites on Sunday.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Often tournament winners start off slow, pace themselves and grow into the tournament, peaking in the last three rounds or so.

I've lost count the number of tournaments where people have said Team X looked a bit shaky in the group stage and will get knocked out as soon as they face a strong opponent, only for them to end up in the final. France look to fit that bill here, and they've reached the final pretty unscathed, no extra time or penalties and only a brief phase of the Argentina game where they were behind were they at serious risk of going out.

Whoever wins the other semi final France will go in as rightful favourites on Sunday.

I likewise think England have gradually grown into this tournament. Tunisia was a great opening half hour followed by an hour of shit. Panama we ripped them to shreds but that game was beyond analysis as they were the biggest joke I've seen at this tournament and the Belgium game was pretty crap. I did however think we were good against Colombia, and Sweden was our best display yet.

Croatia on the flip side have gone a little backwards.

Wasn't a very entertaining game, but it was expected as the final was the target for both teams. Overall France did enough to win, in the Belgium side Hazard impressed and i could say Courtois (not Chelsea biased) however the team wasn't on top of their game. Still top for or even top three isn't too bad for this golden generation for Belgium, i can see them going all the way on the next Euro's.

Interesting game but disappointed it didn't have a couple more goals in it. 

France i find really dull and uninspiring. Very hard to get behind... . Disappointing given the talent they possess and would be a disappointing winner for me given how exciting and unexpected this tournament has been. 

For me if England were to progress tomorrow they'll actually stand a better chance against France than Belgium. But overall it will be a less interesting game without Belgium in it. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived