Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

• Administrator

Kick off 7pm

Venue - Luzhniki Stadium 

Results so far:

Croatia 1-1 Denmark (Croatia won 3-2 on penalties 

Russia 2-2 Croatia (Croatia won 4-3 on penalties  

Colombia 1-1 England (England won 4-3 on penalties) 

Sweden 0-2 England 

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Croatia have a much more superior quality midfield to England, BUT... But there's something different about this England side.  This England side doesn't need extreme quality because they're well drilled by a coach that knows them and understands the qualities and deficiencies of each individual he has selected.  This has created a club style bond and a sensation within the England camp.  I know Croatians are very patriotic people and all that... But Southgate's England will just bypass Croatia's superior midfield and find the most effective manner to win and participate in a World Cup Final.

Best semi possible for this half of the draw from the moment Spain went out... Will be interested to see whether England can effectively counter attack as you'd expect the Croatian midfield to have more of the ball than Sweden did. I'd be looking at Rashford as an option. Maybe an early sub depending on the context of the game.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Croatians! :rofl:

Strukli. It's a Croatian dish. Come on England beat the strukli's

I've given Croatia stick all tournament, and they haven't convinced me in most games. I thought some overrated them when they beat Argentina which I thought they benefitted from a disfunctional side in order to batter them. I still don't think they are all that but there is one thing I'm sure on: their quality is enough to take them through games as proven in some. Tactically they've been weak but they have been able to drag them through games via individualities. The last game against Russia I thought they played the best they have all tournament, but yet they only drew. 

I feel bad in predicting against them for the 5th time but I really do believe England should be getting the win here. This English side are used to beating European teams of Croatia's stature even at their worst (for the most part). I expect it again. Seeing as I'm on the England bandwagon, I'm hoping they do it as well and I'm quite nervous for this. It can genuinely go either way. 

5 hours ago, Blue said:

I've given Croatia stick all tournament, and they haven't convinced me in most games. I thought some overrated them when they beat Argentina which I thought they benefitted from a disfunctional side in order to batter them. I still don't think they are all that but there is one thing I'm sure on: their quality is enough to take them through games as proven in some. Tactically they've been weak but they have been able to drag them through games via individualities. The last game against Russia I thought they played the best they have all tournament, but yet they only drew. 

I feel bad in predicting against them for the 5th time but I really do believe England should be getting the win here. This English side are used to beating European teams of Croatia's stature even at their worst (for the most part). I expect it again. Seeing as I'm on the England bandwagon, I'm hoping they do it as well and I'm quite nervous for this. It can genuinely go either way. 

Your on the England bandwagon. So you want us to win It? :banana:

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Croatia have a much more superior quality midfield to England, BUT... But there's something different about this England side.  This England side doesn't need extreme quality because they're well drilled by a coach that knows them and understands the qualities and deficiencies of each individual he has selected.  This has created a club style bond and a sensation within the England camp.  I know Croatians are very patriotic people and all that... But Southgate's England will just bypass Croatia's superior midfield and find the most effective manner to win and participate in a World Cup Final.

So how do you think we should try to win? Do we go for a high intensity pressing game or  concede possession and try to counter attack? Or a bit of both? (Almost sounded like I know what I'm on about then xD)

6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So how do you think we should try to win? Do we go for a high intensity pressing game or  concede possession and try to counter attack? Or a bit of both? (Almost sounded like I know what I'm on about then xD)

I have no idea which is why I'm not a football manager. xD  I use hindsight like Gary Neville.  Which means that I'll have things a lot more clearer as to what was needed if we lose or what we done well if we in... All of this after the game. Hahaha

What's for sure is that Southgate will know and hopefully it comes off.

On 7/8/2018 at 13:21, SirBalon said:

When you a have President like theirs why wouldn't you be :x I heard she went to the locker room and gave everyone a hug even the top less ones.

On the other hand England have Theresa May :thumbdown: 

4 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

When you a have President like theirs why wouldn't you be :x I heard she went to the locker room and gave everyone a hug even the top less ones.

On the other hand England have Theresa May :thumbdown: 

Just a hug? :ph34r:

• Subscriber

We’re playint Croatia for a place in the final. Fucking come on. I can’t wait. 

Yes they’re good and yes they have Modric and Rakitic but they also have Lovren at the back. 

If someone said before the tournament we play Croatia for a place in the final....

Come on. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

What's with Vida with Croatia ? Heard he might not play after his after match comments

He said 'Glory to Ukraine' in a photo posted on social media and now Russian fans want England to win. 

Don't get why that would mean Croatia would drop him.

On 08/07/2018 at 09:21, SirBalon said:

I don't know a great deal about Croatia. But if you take rakitic and modric out is there midfield much better? 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't know a great deal about Croatia. But if you take rakitic and modric out is there midfield much better? 

Kovačić too mate.

But it’s ridiculous to say... “If you take Modrić and Rakitić out of the team, are they better?”

They ARE in that team.

It reminds me of Monty Python’s Life Of Brian and the “What have the Romans ever done for us” xD

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Kovačić too mate.

But it’s ridiculous to say... “If you take Modrić and Rakitić out of the team, are they better?”

They ARE in that team.

It reminds me of Monty Python’s Life Of Brian and the “What have the Romans ever done for us” xD

I've always thought it was funny when people say "well if you take out some of their best players they aren't as good as a team" - well obviously, you've taken out their best players. They aren't going to be as good. Imagine if we took Kane out of this England side.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived