• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Yeah well I'm just trying to say that it's not unprecedented for Croatia to produce a group of top-class players at the same time. Most countries of that size are normally pleased to have a few players at that level in their whole history.

This generation also has the likes of Strinic (Sampdoria), Rebic (Frankfurt), Vida (Kyiv) starting for them so it's not like they're stacked head to toe with world class players. 

I never argued that point. Realistically they will have another generation of class players in fifthteen or so years.

The point of Rebic and Strinic is pretty dead. Teams have traditionally won the World Cup with a core of class players and made up of players of a similar ilk.

4 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

Does Modric hold any chance for the Ballon d'Or if Croatia wins the WC?

If it was remotely related to football then yes ofc the best player in the Champions League and World Cup winning sides would have to be one of the best candidates to win it.

But it's not.

Population doesn't equate to success, resources should but population shouldn't.

New Zealand is a country if just shy of 5 million people, yet bulldoze anyone else in the Rugby. Obviously Rugby isn't comparable to football internationally because of the amount of countries that play Football at a high level, but from the time I've spent in New Zealand they live and breathe Rugby. Kids play it nearly every day, in the middle of Auckland city is a park called the Domain which has about 5-6 full size Rugby pitches on it, it's used most weeks by schools and then you get full blown tournaments on it across age groups. In the middle of the City, imagine if Hyde Park for example was used that extensively for grass roots football.

The pitches in England are shit and are constantly flooded or just massive mud pits you can't get a foot out of. The participation on football is there in England, but the quality of pitches are not. Even a dried up, carpet burner of solid mud throughout the year is better than that 2-3 month weather delay.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I never argued that point. Realistically they will have another generation of class players in fifthteen or so years.

The point of Rebic and Strinic is pretty dead. Teams have traditionally won the World Cup with a core of class players and made up of players of a similar ilk.

I just don't think a class generation every 15 years is that rare in terms of international football. That's basically one great generation out of every 2 or 3.

As an American who was rooting for England I could not understand why lingard  was in the whole time,  in my  humble opinion he is vastly over-rated player. Sterling is a much superior footboller yet he was subsituted for no good reason. Rashford was not much better. I'll put this on coaches.

Having said that, this young and talented England team now that they learned some valuable experience will get better with time.

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

I just don't think a class generation every 15 years is that rare in terms of international football. That's basically one great generation out of every 2 or 3.

It's good for Croatia. For a nation like Brazil, France, Italy, Germany etc not so much. I'd chuck England in that category too just because of the expectation with core players doing well most of the time domestically.

35 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He’s not been away this year, been strength & conditioning all summer not drinking. He’s going Spurs and I know he was close to a call up, once he moves I’ll fill you in on the whole deal etc. 

Spurs are getting the one of the best attacking midfielders England have produced in a generation for a knock down price, it’s absolutely scandalous from Villa but we’re 20 years into a decline that won’t be reversed now. You can quote me on this in 18 months he’s going to be world class

If you’re really suggesting that a kid that played 27 games (and scored just three goals and assisted six) in the fourth best team in the Championship this season was close to an England call-up ahead of the World Cup, it’s really time for you to stop pouring special brew on your Coco Pops in the morning. 

I've not read the thread, but I'll just say this. I'm amazed he took Sterling off. He was England's best player tonight and it changed when he came off. The cheers when Sterling came off in the pub were bizarre. Just shows that nobheads who know nothing about football and read the Sun and the Mail start clinging on in these situations. If you're bringing him off, at least bring Vardy on who will stretch them.

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I've not read the thread, but I'll just say this. I'm amazed he took Sterling off. He was England's best player tonight and it changed when he came off. The cheers when Sterling came off in the pub were bizarre. Just shows that nobheads who know nothing about football and read the Sun and the Mail start clinging on in these situations. If you're bringing him off, at least bring Vardy on who will stretch them.

People judge him on his end product which, to be fair, has been terrible but very few seem to give him credit for everything before that. Was probably our best attacking player today.

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

This. 

Had loads of people having a go at him pre, during and post match where I was because of his end product, completely missing his contribution to the side. 

I’m glad it’s been highlighted in the media and amongst fans about his contribution in this tournemant because he’s been good for England, though some only see the misses in front of goal and not the less glamourous stuff like running the Swedish defence ragged off the ball or how his pace caused no end of problem. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, 6666 said:

"United England" is over. Exit means exit.

An entire fight involving a shocking 12 people in a beer garden. Can't wait to hear tomorrow morning about how the country's going to the dogs or whatever the line is these days xD.

So I will jump in although I know that a lot of you all are probably feeling all sorts of negative emotions after being so close, and losing it so late. 

Kudos to both teams tonight. England were absolutely on fire in the first half, while Croatia controlled the second half completely. Exciting football and a wonderful match to watch. No boring goals, and a lot of tense that led to little ole Croatia making it to their first ever final. 

I will watch the World Cup final alone, as preferred. I have fallen in love with this young and talented French side, however now I find myself just wanting football to be this year's world cup champion. How blessed are we to have been able to experience a World Cup like this? From the crazy 3-3 game between Portugal and Spain, to watching the Mexicans celebrate like crazy despite having just lost 3-0 to Sweden because somehow the Koreans were able to beat Germany 2-0, and eliminating them. 

To having NO matches in the knockout stage that had zero tension. Each game was exciting and brought moments of brilliance. To tonight's match where we got to witness an England team usually full of pompous ass hats who said, 'Fuck you', to the label they've been given and played lights all almost all tournament, and brought THE footballing nation all together behind a team they didn't seem to initially like, and respect a coach most didn't seem to want. 

To Croatia...Fucking, little Croatia. Making the final for the first time ever. To France, a team full of children who have beaten teams much more experienced than them, playing in a Final where you have no stereotypical winner.  

Fuck man, I hate it for you English, I do, but I hope in a weeks/months time, you'll realize how damn blessed we are all for this World Cup. 

10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The best two teams over the whole tournament are in the final. 

England have accomplished a feat I never expected. They've reunited the people with the football team. It's been massive progress. Let's be grateful.

Let's enjoy the final but be happy with our outstanding effort.

For me the best 2 have been France and Belgium. Croatia, even after having the "easy" side of the draw didn't win a single knock out in normal time, while France and Belgium won all theirs in 90(well Belgium did until elimination) and for me they have been the most impressive 2 sides overall.

What Croatia do have though are the best 2 midfielders in the tournament, especially Modric, who has been absolutely brilliant. Player of the tournament whether Croatia win the final or not. They work well as a team once they get going as well.

It has to be said though that they looked poor in the first half tonight and England were the much better side, but you have to take your chances. The one which fell to Kane especially, although you can't really blame him too much as he barely had clear cut chances like that all tournament, or he would have surely been burying them. Either way, that was England's best period in the tournament and everything pointed to a final in that first half.

Losing a semi can be shite for a players moral, although I think it'll be the opposite in this case as this will be a learning curve and experience from a team that nobody expect much of going into it. This World cup has made even the least patriotic Englishmen get behind the side and show passion like you never see these days.

Once Croatia scored it was always inevitable what was going to happen. After that they grew into the game and were the much better team.

Maybe the next Euros can see another good run for England? Maybe even a final? As said, this tournament will have helped gain experience. It's a likeable bunch of lads as well. We can talk about how talented the 2006 side was, but at the same time it was a harder set of players to get behind as they were largely a bunch of cunts.

17 minutes ago, Eco said:

Fuck man, I hate it for you English, I do, but I hope in a weeks/months time, you'll realize how damn blessed we are all for this World Cup. 

Honestly, I'm probably going to forget all about it until the next international tournament (if we qualify). Utterly disappointed despite the fact that this was the first England side I could actually get excited about in 20 years (France 98 is my favourite World Cup for so many reasons).

Maybe it's because I had 0 hope whatsoever in this England side in the weeks before the tournament. And then with each match I got more and more hopeful and before we knew it we're in the semi-finals. And it's the hope that breaks your heart, having the lead in the semi-finals and looking really good in the first half... to an utter collapse and an extra time loss. Truly heartbreaking.

As soon as I get home I'm getting as drunk as I can physically get. And then once Friday kicks around I'll be shitfaced all weekend. I'll watch the final sure, at 8AM here, and I'll be getting hammered while I watch it, but I doubt I'll particularly enjoy it. Between this and losing the CL final not that long ago, I sort of fucking hate that I like football.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Who remembers Portugal's draw in 2016? Nobody. Football remembers the winners, the facts. I'd rather win the final against Afghanistan than lose against a top team like Brazil. 

This squad has achieved on par (if not more than what other English teams have) and they're all babies. 

I remember Portugals route to the final.  They only won one game in a 90 minute match.  They got of the group comprising of Hungary Iceland and Austria and tied each one.  They finished 3rd and in the old format would've been eliminated at that stage. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Modric is incredible. Played nearly 2 hours more than this English side and dominated both Alli and Henderson 

No actually Croatia played 30 minutes more. 

Both teams play extra time in round of 16. 

Croatia played extra time vs Russia in QF while England dusted Sweden in 90. 

Perhaps extra time in the final vs France too lol. 

Hope it will be an exciting final for neutrals watching. 

Cheering for Croatia to avenge their '98 loss to France 

Also got a good third place match to look forward to as well. 

This could be Englands first podium finish since 1966

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think Sterling should have come off, but I will say that it wasn't the breaking point.  It had already changed completely at the half, but especially after conceding the tying goal.  It's as if England realized they were 45 minutes away from playing in the title match and then they puckered up and choked it away.  That's a simpleton take, and not giving Croatia their credit for an excellent half of football, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived