• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JRRandall said:

England just needs a talented midfielder that can hold possession and create plays.  Guys on the same level of Modric or De Bruyne would help make this a complete and dangerous team.

That for me is their major underlying weakness. You just have to look at last night, the sheer domination Modric displayed, given the amount of minutes he played ahead of England. 

Are there really any upcoming English talents that can potentially display such qualities? 

57 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That for me is their major underlying weakness. You just have to look at last night, the sheer domination Modric displayed, given the amount of minutes he played ahead of England. 

Are there really any upcoming English talents that can potentially display such qualities? 

Should of took Wilshere:ph34r:

England regularly changed style to cautious when in the lead this tournament. Tunisia, Colombia, Croatia. It's not a coincidence, it was the approach. 

There are always fine margins in the majority of knockout games. For long spells neither Croatia or Colombia looked like they would be capable of scoring. You are always gambling when you change mentality at 1-0 instead of pushing through.

• Subscriber

Pretty funny seeing people taking the piss out of England fans. Imagine being stupid enough to go support your country in Russia, get excited over reaching the semi finals then look gutted when you lose in extra time. Truly a laughing stock.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Pretty funny seeing people taking the piss out of England fans. Imagine being stupid enough to go support your country in Russia, get excited over reaching the semi finals then look gutted when you lose in extra time. Truly a laughing stock.

Fucking sad that! Absolutely pathetic. 

Truly gutted, but what a journey. It will inspire a generation and Southgate deserves all the praise he is getting for that. There is nothing that unities the country like England doing well in a world cup does.

Really annoyed at the 'football violence' the media is bringing him and some on here, the media coverage it gets compared to other forms of violence is stunning. 

After the Sweden game there were 70 'football related arrests' compare this to over 300 arrests at Notting Hill Carnival or 71 arrests at glastonbury. Why aren't these big news and described as 'carnival related arrests' or 'music festival related arrests'

2 hours ago, JRRandall said:

England just needs a talented midfielder that can hold possession and create plays.  Guys on the same level of Modric or De Bruyne would help make this a complete and dangerous team.

I agree, but having a world class midfielder to call up is he first step for us. It’s a bit irritating that when we had 3 we didn’t have managers who could pick a side that played as a real team & just put out 11 individuals. And when I say a bit irritating I mean a bit more irritating than a bit irritating.

• Subscriber

After years of absolute rubbish, this has been overall, you'd have to say a breath of fresh air of a tournament.

England traditionally start tournaments awfully. We draw our opening game 1-1 so frequently it's beyond belief. The Tunisia game approaches its end and the score, of course, is 1-1 again. This time it's different and we get that winner. That's the first sign during the actual tournament that things may be going a bit differently.

The second game is another sign. Whether it was Panama just being an exceptional level of awful or if we were a lot more ruthless you decide for yourself, but in a type of fixture we so typically blow or scrape a win, we were 5 goals up by half time and absolutely smashed them to pieces. This again was different.

The final game of the group is a game you cannot read too much into. We're poor. Were we happy to lose? I think quite possibly. We know why.

The Colombia game is a tight affair, we probably deserve to win in 90 in all honesty, Colombia offer very little but of course, it's England in a knockout game, England just have to make it difficult for ourselves. We concede at the death. But the unthinkable happens - in a tournament of England being un-England, we do the most un-England thing you can imagine and win it on penalties.

We then do another very un-England thing and beat Sweden convincingly. We often struggle against Sweden.

Last night, unfortunately, felt like a return to the England we know. The truth of the matter is we just aren't really good enough to win the tournament. We came up with a system which we stuck to and we created the best dressing room, player to fan camaraderie I think I've seen us have at a tournament. Two big things that we often lack were there this time.

Unfortunately, it's the quality we fall short on, and seeing Luka Modric play like that against us is an eye-opener - we haven't got that quality in midfield. We as a nation do not produce midfielders who can control a game and that is what will prevent us doing better than this.

The most gutting thing about it is that it's a young team, that is likely to get better, and in four years time may have a side that is good enough to have possibly gone all the way this time around - yet I'll be amazed in four years time if Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, and don't forget Holland & Italy, are all this off-colour again.

I thank the players and manager for producing a tournament performance we can take some pride in, but last night we were given a footballing lesson by a simply better team with more quality, more experience, more success in it. We can have no complaints. Croatia over 120 minutes were the better team, comfortably.

There is undoubted progress, but there is a long way to go.

As for Croatia - absolutely fair play to all of them. I'll let their comments pass. They're a quality team with some superb players in it, and it would be one of the footballing stories of all time if they were to actually win the World Cup. Good luck to them.

Glad someone's made a video on this.

Henderson was the worst for it but he was the worst of a bad bunch. Nobody looked comfortable on the ball, players looked nervous and if this is a representation of English football, we have a long way to go. There are a lot of players in that team who are more than capable on the ball as well which was the biggest disappointment. The long balls also happened so much that they could have even been a tactic which perhaps says something about Southgate's shortcomings as well.

For me we abandoned our values and didn't show courage on the ball when we needed it most. 

I'm very proud of this team but that for me was the biggest disappointment. 

3 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

For me we abandoned our values and didn't show courage on the ball when we needed it most. 

Don't particularly think you lot currently have any midfielders capable of that. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

While I agree, loads of England fans were the same when Liverpool lost the Champions League final or when Wales lost in the Euro's. That's football fans for you, most are dickheads

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

While I agree, loads of England fans were the same when Liverpool lost the Champions League final or when Wales lost in the Euro's. That's football fans for you, most are dickheads

All it goes to show is that the people poking fun at Liverpool/England/Wales were that petrified of them actually winning the tournament and having to eat their words or put up with people they called deluded actually being vindicated. 

Banter is one thing which will always exist otherwise how boring would football support be? But taking the piss out of any fanbase for getting excited over a potential achievement that you see every 10, 20, 50 years for your club and country is just plain weird.

What I liked the most about this England campaign, from a personal perspective, was being on the same side as everyone else here in London. Celebrating closely and personally with everyone from Man Utd fans to Arsenal fans to Charlton fans to Oxford United fans. It's back to the normal routine now of sharing no sporting emotion with these people, living in isolation with just passing conversations on how each others team did at the weekend. It will be weird.

4 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

What I liked the most about this England campaign, from a personal perspective, was being on the same side as everyone else here in London. Celebrating closely and personally with everyone from Man Utd fans to Arsenal fans to Charlton fans to Oxford United fans. It's back to the normal routine now of sharing no sporting emotion with these people, living in isolation with just passing conversations on how each others team did at the weekend. It will be weird.

Yeah I haven't got any enthusiasm for club football at the moment. I loved the unity it was amazing 

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

All it goes to show is that the people poking fun at Liverpool/England/Wales were that petrified of them actually winning the tournament and having to eat their words or put up with people they called deluded actually being vindicated. 

Banter is one thing which will always exist otherwise how boring would football support be? But taking the piss out of any fanbase for getting excited over a potential achievement that you see every 10, 20, 50 years for your club and country is just plain weird.

Its a part of football though - rivals want you to lose. Trust me, I'm one who hates this as much as anyone, but I wouldn't call it "embarrassing". Its natural.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Glad someone's made a video on this.

Henderson was the worst for it but he was the worst of a bad bunch. Nobody looked comfortable on the ball, players looked nervous and if this is a representation of English football, we have a long way to go. There are a lot of players in that team who are more than capable on the ball as well which was the biggest disappointment. The long balls also happened so much that they could have even been a tactic which perhaps says something about Southgate's shortcomings as well.

I'm very proud of this team but that for me was the biggest disappointment. 

This video sums us up to a tee. Croatia pressed us and we panicked. Vrsaljko's comments are spot on.

18 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I haven't got any enthusiasm for club football at the moment. I loved the unity it was amazing 

Oh, I have. As much as I love the World Cup and especially this one, which has been the best one in years, I can't wait for the club season to kick back off personally!

15 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I'd happily stop the World Cup now and kick off the season tomorrow. Absolutely buzzing for our friendly against Valencia which says it all mate. 

Excited for La Liga again too, towards the end I lost a bit of interest with Barcelona being about 9,000 points ahead. Obviously fun to watch from a "fan" point of view but a bit dull.

The undefeated run kept it interesting to me, but it was quite a straight forward title win last season, it has to be said. I'd expect a better run in the Champs league from the team this season.

47 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm ready for club football to forget the defeat. I don't think I will even watch the final :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I'm ready for club football to forget the defeat. I don't think I will even watch the final :ph34r:

Watching the final will be like going to a funeral

Archived