talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

xDxD

Roy keanes a prick. Why can't we get exited. Glad someone finally told him to shut up

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Don't particularly think you lot currently have any midfielders capable of that. 

Well yeah mate, it wasn't only Henderson though. For me the whole defence hid a bit in that regard despite being capable of playing, Stones was the only one I saw play with some personality in this area. One of the problems is that fear is installed into English players from a young age, from the pressure from the sidelines and the concentration on what could go wrong. Went to play a match for some of my mates' local team last year and we still have a running joke about how their team used to scream 'get it out', 'clear the lines' when you'd have no opposition player near you. There's this fear  (slowly changing mind) that exists in English football, combined with the ruthless necessity of winning at all costs at youth level. I've gone from Sunday league to a World Cup semi final but I believe we have this problem and fear in British football and last night's game was an extension of that. I felt like I was watching a Sunday League match as daft as that sounds and a lot of these players have been bombarded with these pressures of winning ever since they were younger. This environment of pressures and way of looking at football needs to change still, a lot has been done to change it but it still ultimately exists. 

I saw a nice quote the other day and ironically it comes from a Croatian player:

"I played my least enjoyable football growing up when I was put under pressure from my parents or coaches. For young footballers it should be just fun".  When people enjoy something, they naturally want to improve at it.

It's silly to talk about easier or harder paths. You play what's put in front of you. England deserved to get to the semis because they beat their opponents, regardless of the fact if they were or not big names.

The same with us in 2016. 'Fucking Portugal, had one of the easier paths I can remember.' Yeah, fuck off. You can face teams with an emptier CV than Germany or Italy, but that doesn't necessarily mean you've already won. Just look at Belgium in 2016 and Spain in this WC.

12 minutes ago, ASF said:

It's silly to talk about easier or harder paths. You play what's put in front of you. England deserved to get to the semis because they beat their opponents, regardless of the fact if they were or not big names.

The same with us in 2016. 'Fucking Portugal, had one of the easier paths I can remember.' Yeah, fuck off. You can face teams with an emptier CV than Germany or Italy, but that doesn't necessarily mean you've already won. Just look at Belgium in 2016 and Spain in this WC.

So then why do you rate the Champions League more difficult than the league title? 

34 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So then why do you rate the Champions League more difficult than the league title? 

You're comparing two different things.

When people diminish a team's achievement, because the opposition they played, it's bollocks.

Saying the CL is more difficult than winning the league is a different subject, as well as the reasoning behind that debate.

9 minutes ago, ASF said:

You're comparing two different things.

When people diminish a team's achievement, because the opposition they played, it's bollocks.

Saying the CL is more difficult than winning the league is a different subject, as well as the reasoning behind that debate.

On what basis? Both the World Cup and Champions League are cup competitions, and you just claimed you can win it by not facing the toughest opponents. Yet with the latter, you previously stated it is harder than the league. 

Do you not see that contradiction? 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

On what basis? Both the world cup and Champions League are cup competitions, and you just claimed you can win it by not facing the toughest opponents. Yet with the latter, you previously stated it is harder than the league. 

Do you not see that contradiction? 

I did no such thing. I stated that belittling a team's achievement is nonsense, because you can only beat what's put in front of you. My main point in that is the putting down some people do, to a team's achievement.

No contradiction at all. Honestly, weird discussion you're trying to have here.

4 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Glad someone's made a video on this.

Henderson was the worst for it but he was the worst of a bad bunch. Nobody looked comfortable on the ball, players looked nervous and if this is a representation of English football, we have a long way to go. There are a lot of players in that team who are more than capable on the ball as well which was the biggest disappointment. The long balls also happened so much that they could have even been a tactic which perhaps says something about Southgate's shortcomings as well.

For me we abandoned our values and didn't show courage on the ball when we needed it most. 

I'm very proud of this team but that for me was the biggest disappointment. 

Execution was incorrect but the attempt was right, we weren't breaking Croatia down through the middle but were getting the better of them outwide. Most of those attempts from Henderson we shouldn't have tried to keep the ball for much longer in that area of the pitch, but definitely should have showed more composure in delivering the ball into the channels.

2 minutes ago, ASF said:

I did no such thing. I stated that belittling a team's achievement is nonsense, because you can only beat what's put in front of you. My main point in that is the putting down some people do, to a team's achievement.

No contradiction at all. Honestly, weird discussion you're trying to have here.

Do I seriously have to go back and find your comments in the champions league thread and your reasoning as to why you rate the CL more difficult than the league? 

You've just mentioned that you have to beat what's in front of you, no matter the quality to get to the final. Is that not the same as the champions league? So on that basis, how can that be more difficult than winning the league? 

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Do I seriously have to go back and find your comments in the champions league thread and your reasoning as to why you rate the CL more difficult than the league? 

You've just mentioned that you have to beat what's in front of you, no matter the quality to get to the final. Is that not the same as the champions league? So on that basis, how can that be more difficult than winning the league? 

Do it.

You're comparing a cup competition, that is played throughout the entire season (at the same time that the league is played), with a cup competition that is played at the end of a 9/10 months season, when the top players/players from top leagues are exhausted after so much time playing football.

I'm certain you can see the differences between both. 

Breaking news.

Croatia fielded an ineligible player and could be chucked out the tournament and england put in the final.

Carlsberg don't do news bulletins but if they did they would probably be the best news bulletins in the world 

16 minutes ago, ASF said:

Do it.

You're comparing a cup competition, that is played throughout the entire season (at the same time that the league is played), with a cup competition that is played at the end of a 9/10 months season, when the top players/players from top leagues are exhausted after so much time playing football.

I'm certain you can see the differences between both. 

And I'm certain you can see that you cant win the league by not facing the top clubs 

Just now, Cicero said:

And I'm certain you can see that you cant win the league by not facing the top clubs 

I never said otherwise?

Mate, I like you. But you seem to be onto something here. Seems like proving that the league is harder to win than the CL, is vital to you. Give it a rest. That wasn't even the point I was making, with my first post in this thread, tonight.

39 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Kind of want Luka to win the World Cup so after three Champions Leagues and a World Cup this Fifa Fucklove generation with Ronaldo and Messi ends.

What about Iniesta? World Cup, 2 euros, 4 Champions leagues, 9 leagues and a bunch of other domestic trophies. For me there are a fair few greats from the last decade or so and it's not just about those 2. We have lived a better last 10 or years for talent than we might give it credit for and we will realise more in the future mate. 

Modric is  a ridiculous player for the record. He always has been, but in the last 3-4 years especially, he's grown into one of the best of his generation and will be remembered as such whether Croatia win or not. 

I don't think people are giving Rakitic enough credit in this tournament though as he's been immense himself. He's really grown into the tournament and does alot that goes unnoticed. 

30 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

What about Iniesta? World Cup, 2 euros, 4 Champions leagues, 9 leagues and a bunch of other domestic trophies. For me there are a fair few greats from the last decade or so and it's not just about those 2. We have lived a better last 10 or years for talent than we might give it credit for and we will realise more in the future mate. 

Modric is  a ridiculous player for the record. He always has been, but in the last 3-4 years especially, he's grown into one of the best of his generation and will be remembered as such whether Croatia win or not. 

I don't think people are giving Rakitic enough credit in this tournament though as he's been immense himself. He's really grown into the tournament and does alot that goes unnoticed. 

Iniesta not winning the Ballon D'or in 2010 was an absolute travesty. Seeing his rise from being told in 2005 he needed to adapt or perish at Barca to being the driving force behind Spain's World Cup victory was quite frankly phenomenal. Over the years I think himself and Neuer in 2014 have really been fucked over by the Fifa fuckboy generation. Strong claims that other Barcelona players should have got more recognition in 2011 and possibly Robben at his peak in 2013 also. 

5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Iniesta not winning the Ballon D'or in 2010 was an absolute travesty. Seeing his rise from being told in 2005 he needed to adapt or perish at Barca to being the driving force behind Spain's World Cup victory was quite frankly phenomenal. Over the years I think himself and Neuer in 2014 have really been fucked over by the Fifa fuckboy generation. Strong claims that other Barcelona players should have got more recognition in 2011 and possibly Robben at his peak in 2013 also. 

How? He was injured like 3/4th of that season? 

14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Think Iniesta deserved it more in 2012.

But agreed. A Spanish player not winning it either in 2010 or 2012 was ridiculous.

• Subscriber

Perisic I thought was excellent the other night as well. He's a quality player. Can't believe he's 28, he's gone well under the radar for most of that.

Archived