talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

Disappointing end to a wild ride.  Felt England sat back and defended too deep after half time.   Letting Croatia come at you, defending a 1-0 lead for 75 minutes was a mistake.  No surprise Croatia went on to win it.   Honestly believe they should have beaten Croatia today, though beating France would have been a bridge too far.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

If you’re really suggesting that a kid that played 27 games (and scored just three goals and assisted six) in the fourth best team in the Championship this season was close to an England call-up ahead of the World Cup, it’s really time for you to stop pouring special brew on your Coco Pops in the morning. 

Yes I know someone close to him, he had a call from Southgate post playoff final and was told impressed with him & very much in long term plans but needs PL football to warrant selection.  I know every club that bid for him and what they offered Spurs is his choice, he’s been offered more elsewhere by some big clubs. He’s rated within the game, he’s young so consistency is coming but our midfield was crying out for him second half. Mark my words he’ll be there in 18 months time. 

I found myself in a weird position at 1-0 last night where I was very composed about everything. It kind of dawned on me that I was a lot more estatic when Palace went one up in a semi final than England. I couldnt pick out a reason why at the time. The reason became pretty evident at full time.

I looked at people in Hyde Park with a bit of envy that they're in a position where they could be there, and I was a bit annoyed as the tournament progreesed I wasn't in a position to go back home and watch it with my friends. That partly, was possibly a reason why I couldn't get in to it.

Then at full time I hear that some twat at home had ran out the pub and threw his pint glass at my mates car. That's when I realised why I couldn't get behind England. Because of twats like him. The irony is my mate is a Chelsea season ticket holder and probably cares a lot more about football than him.

He's in the class of people that make it hard for me to get romantically passionate about England in the same way that I do about Palace. Just like the people dressed for a festival that trampled on that ambulance car, and the fat bastard that fell through the bus shelter. Then you have the football lads alliance which is another issue in itself.

If we had won I genuinely would have felt real empathy for those on the clean up operation as everybody treats London like a large festival sight. 90%+ of people would no doubt be great, theyd have a real understanding that this may not happen again in their life time and treat the occassion how it should be. Its those that dont particulary like football but jump on the bandwagon or can't handle their drink which really make it difficult for me to feel for England like I do for Palace.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I found myself in a weird position at 1-0 last night where I was very composed about everything. It kind of dawned on me that I was a lot more estatic when Palace went one up in a semi final than England. I couldnt pick out a reason why at the time. The reason became pretty evident at full time.

I looked at people in Hyde Park with a bit of envy that they're in a position where they could be there, and I was a bit annoyed as the tournament progreesed I wasn't in a position to go back home and watch it with my friends. That partly, was possibly a reason why I couldn't get in to it.

Then at full time I hear that some twat at home had ran out the pub and threw his pint glass at my mates car. That's when I realised why I couldn't get behind England. Because of twats like him. The irony is my mate is a Chelsea season ticket holder and probably cares a lot more about football than him.

He's in the class of people that make it hard for me to get romantically passionate about England in the same way that I do about Palace. Just like the people dressed for a festival that trampled on that ambulance car, and the fat bastard that fell through the bus shelter. Then you have the football lads alliance which is another issue in itself.

If we had won I genuinely would have felt real empathy for those on the clean up operation as everybody treats London like a large festival sight. 90%+ of people would no doubt be great, theyd have a real understanding that this may mot happen again in their life time and treat the occassiom how it should be. Its those that dont particulary like football but jump on the bandwagon or can't handle their drink which really make it difficult for me to feel for England like I do for Palace.

I also thought Wright mocking Keane’s accent when Keane tried being a bit objective about England was very typical.

Most England fans behave fine most of the time but every Scottish, Irish, and Welsh person that has had any exposure to them has at least a couple of experiences of being mocked or threatened.

When me and a couple of pals on holiday found ourselves near a couple of men in England shirts watching the Russia game in 2016 who had heard our accents and made a tense little joke or two about Scotland not qualifying, we already knew to clear out near the end in case Russia equalised.

That’s just the reality foreign fans live with when it comes to England. And all the same, we’re told incessantly by people with no idea about the reality that we should get behind England a bit, when even more reasonable people like yourself find it hard to ignore the negative aspects of the culture around the national team.

For every knob trashing a bus stop pissed up, there were at least 3-4 families sat in back gardens with the tv wheeled outside and the BBQ on. Kids in face paint and splashing in the paddling pool while they laugh their little heads off. 50 thousand people in a dozen fan parks isn’t the country, at least 20million were having a peaceful good time watching it amongst loved ones. 

I’m 33 now I preferred being at home with my little girl who says everyone with a flag knows “it’s coming home”. 

I went out for Panama, it was ok but most of the folks out we’re early 20’s and there’s an arrogance to youths who think the world owes them something so I fucked off pretty quick at full time. I’m not interested in lager swilling lads disappear for a line every 15 mins in the toilets. I was once those lads when I think back to the kid I was a decade ago I’m a world away, young people do stupid shit. (Like vote for Corbyn WW 😉) 

I’m like Harv really it wasn’t for me that I wanted them to win it, it was older blokes late 50’s & early 60’s who kept saying after week 1, “we’ve got a chance here, I’d like to see them do it just once in my life I was too young in 66”. It reignited their passion for a game that’s been eroded away but money and distance from the reality of its fan base. 

I ersonally enjoyed our run, it’s probably the worst England squad we’ve taken to a tournament however it needs 3-4 genuine quality players in the attacking department and we’re going to have a shout in the euros. 

A lot of sentimentality about this 'nice bunch of lads' this morning. Right not to crucify them but let's have some honesty, first decent side and they went out. A side reliant on set pieces and without a good midfield is reliant on a good draw but you can't go forever. Much work to be done and we shouldn't let the goodwill that they, rightfully generated, cloud that.

10 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I also thought Wright mocking Keane’s accent when Keane tried being a bit objective about England was very typical.

Most England fans behave fine most of the time but every Scottish, Irish, and Welsh person that has had any exposure to them has at least a couple of experiences of being mocked or threatened.

When me and a couple of pals on holiday found ourselves near a couple of men in England shirts watching the Russia game in 2016 who had heard our accents and made a tense little joke about Scotland not qualifying, we already knew to clear out near the end in case Russia equalised.

That’s just the reality foreign fans live with when it comes to England. And all the same, we’re told incessantly by people with no idea about the reality that we should get behind England a bit, when even more reasonable people like yourself find it hard to ignore the negative aspects of the culture around the national team.

It’s a two way street mate. You only have to look at social media and the gloating from other home nations. Does it have something to do with culture? Absolutely, but I’d hazard a guess that when you throw jealousy and chip on shoulder syndrome into the mix, it’s just as potent. For every ‘It’s coming home’ comment, there’s a ‘ya da sells Avon’ or ‘Iceland 2016 megalolz’. It’s just human nature in general and what we’ve turned into as a society. Palace Fan is absolutely bang on about the bandwagoners though. My best mate doesn’t watch football but was out getting bladdered with his brother (also not a football fan) in town because of the game, acting like a superfan. It’s the whole reason I stay in and watch games at home now. Too many bellends. Don’t tell me it wouldn’t happen if Scotland had a decent run though. It happened with Wales in 2016. A Welsh mate told me it was fucking unbearable at some pubs watching games due to the fair weather fans. We’ve just got a bigger population, ergo more nobheads.

8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It’s a two way street mate. You only have to look at social media and the gloating from other home nations. Does it have something to do with culture? Absolutely, but I’d hazard a guess that when you throw jealousy and chip on shoulder syndrome into the mix, it’s just as potent. For every ‘It’s coming home’ comment, there’s a ‘ya da sells Avon’ or ‘Iceland 2016 megalolz’. It’s just human nature in general and what we’ve turned into as a society. Palace Fan is absolutely bang on about the bandwagoners though. My best mate doesn’t watch football but was out getting bladdered with his brother (also not a football fan) in town because of the game, acting like a superfan. It’s the whole reason I stay in and watch games at home now. Too many bellends. Don’t tell me it wouldn’t happen if Scotland had a decent run though. It happened with Wales in 2016. Another mate told me it was fucking unbearable at some pubs watching games due to the fair weather fans. We’ve just got a bigger population, ergo more nobheads.

What jealousy? Nobody in the British Isles under the age of 60 or whatever can remember seeing their national team win anything. If anything I'm jealous of the Welsh and Irish for overperforming relative to their size. If Scotland even got to a tournament we'd be far to happy to just be there for anyone to do anything except enjoy the moment.

Its England's blend of past glory and recent underperformance that adds this little nasty streak for some fans where every win doesn't just bring joy in its own right, but also involves getting one over on the other country, or proving something to the doubters. Hence some idiots trashing IKEAs after the Sweden game rather than just bloody enjoying a great win. 

When you have literally zero expectations it's hard for the fans to get mad or aggressive because literally anything is worth celebrating. If Scotland finished bottom of a group at the World Cup having scored one goal and conceded 10, we'd probably just be thinking about how great it was that we actually got to a World Cup and scored a fucking goal. 

It's when you feel like you have a bit of pride at stake in your team winning or losing that supporting your country becomes an aggressive thing.

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

What jealousy? Nobody in the British Isles under the age of 60 or whatever can remember seeing their national team win anything. If anything I'm jealous of the Welsh and Irish for overperforming relative to their size. If Scotland even got to a tournament we'd be far to happy to just be there for anyone to do anything except enjoy the moment.

You’re telling me that there’s absolutely no jealousy from other home nations that England are at the World Cup finals, whilst their teams aren’t? I was when Wales were playing in the Euros after we got knocked out. I’m not talking about success, just the ability to actually be there and play.

18 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Colombia aren't decent then?

I think without James Rodriguez they were decidedly average but I'll let you have that. It's not to slag them but we need realism, the football they played was retrograde at times and startlingly lacking in creativity and they ended up outclased. If they come home content with things then I don't see them getting this far in the near future. Being good at set pieces is one thing, being a set piece team is another. Saw a stat on twitter that Saudi Arabia had as many shots on target from open play as England throughout the tournament. We are starved of ability in midfield.

If you are limited in ability then you need a very smart manager and Southgate was ineffective when it came to changing a game. Not suggesting he goes, he has produced an atmosphere to be proud of but those things do not win tournaments by themselves. 

Croatia with a very deserved victory. They were brilliant in second half and england never looked to do anything in match but maintain the early lead. Every croatian player was fantastic but esp Mandzukic and Perisic. Mandzukic took so many fucking hits, seemed to tear something and get ten cramps but kept firm and smashed the ball in so cleanly. Perisic was amazing all night and his goal was phenomenal.

The mental strength this team displays is something else. They are so humble, yet so confident and assured in their own abilities as individuals and as a team. When iranian forwards dont score for a few matches, as they dont have experience to pressure of higher leagues and clubs and competitions, they may keep running, but they lose their confidence in front of goal. Mandzukic didnt score at all in group stage, but it didnt phase him one bit. He kept calm and confident in his own abilities, and even while suffering through so many cramps and injuries delivered the crucial goal vs denmark and the tonights fantastic finish. 

14 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

You’re telling me that there’s absolutely no jealousy from other home nations that England are at the World Cup finals, whilst their teams aren’t? I was when Wales were playing in the Euros after we got knocked out. I’m not talking about success, just the ability to actually be there and play.

Of course I'd like for Scotland to be at major tournaments but ulimately we're a small country that produces a couple of quality players every decade - at best - so I don't have any burning need for us to consistently get to finals, because it's just not a realistic thing to want. I'm not jealous of Kylie Jenner for having 900 million dollars, but I am a bit jealous of a friend of mine who gets slightly better grades than I do. That's what I mean when I say I'm jealous of Northern Ireland, Ireland and Wales, but not England.

It's just not possible for us to do what England do as it stands, but we could conceivably do what the other Home Nations do with a bit more intelligence.

You know, it's nice that we've got to a semi final but I agree with Dodger. We have beaten who we should have beat to get there. We played two teams that are more challenging in Belgium & Croatia, and we lost to both. 

Cannot knock the effort, but I'm glad this whole "it's coming home" bollocks is over. I've hated the spaccamongs that came out and talked shit about how we were going to win. Just imagine if we had scraped through last and played this France side in the final, they'd have made us look silly as fuck. 

The lads done well, but let's just get on with it and calm the fuck down. 

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

A lot of sentimentality about this 'nice bunch of lads' this morning. Right not to crucify them but let's have some honesty, first decent side and they went out. A side reliant on set pieces and without a good midfield is reliant on a good draw but you can't go forever. Much work to be done and we shouldn't let the goodwill that they, rightfully generated, cloud that.

Actual agree, I hope we don’t think ah they did well. Ruthless appraisal will lead to progression, there’s some positives but we need to be honest some areas are in need of serious improvement 

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

An entire fight involving a shocking 12 people in a beer garden. Can't wait to hear tomorrow morning about how the country's going to the dogs or whatever the line is these days xD.

That fight was from last week after 

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

"United England" is over. Exit means exit.

That fight was from last week after the Colombia game...

I think England overall have played poor in the World Cup, the hype came after the 6-1 win after Panama, who were the worst side in the tournament by a country mile.  England do not keep the ball well at all, they have no midfielder who have a calmness on the ball, all they do is get it and quickly get rid of it or try to go on a run.  England also didn't really create many goal scoring chances in the whole tournament apart from relying on set pieces which have lead to goals or a penalty.  Kyle Walker, Alli, Sterling have had a poor tournament, Pickford, Trippier and Maguire are the surprise players who have been Englands best players.

Anyway was good to get to the semis but it will feel like this is probably the best chance England has had to get to a final by the route they had. 

14 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I reckon 2030 is ours to host. Fingers crossed your father makes it mate. 

I agree. Fifa has got to be smart enough to realise how great a world cup that would be. 

13 hours ago, 6666 said:

People judge him on his end product which, to be fair, has been terrible but very few seem to give him credit for everything before that. Was probably our best attacking player today.

I like Sterling but he needs to work Ronaldo-level hard on his finishing and in building up the power in his shots...

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If we had won I genuinely would have felt real empathy for those on the clean up operation as everybody treats London like a large festival sight. 90%+ of people would no doubt be great, theyd have a real understanding that this may not happen again in their life time and treat the occassion how it should be. Its those that dont particulary like football but jump on the bandwagon or can't handle their drink which really make it difficult for me to feel for England like I do for Palace.

I kind of feel like your buying into the media narrative there mate. Just like many were with Sterling. 

There are wankers everywhere and they are no more prevalent in England or amongst the England supporters than anyone else. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Colombia aren't decent then?

Colombia without comfortably heir best player is significant.

I've got real mixed feelings on things today. I'll go into depth later but it's a mix of happiness that we got people interested again, but ultimately we've been shown up as pretty ordinary I'm afraid.

I think it's slightly worrying that the primary issue with England's tournament was a lack of control and composure in midfield, and thus massive issues with sides like Croatia and Belgium who have such players in the middle of pitch. England didn't particularly need real playmakers at CM to unlock sides like Tunisia and Panama because they were so good at opening he game up with set pieces, but against two teams who were determined to take control of the game, England found themselves outclassed and forced back into a deep block, playing hopeful balls into the channels.

And for as much as this tournament has been talked about as a turning point, that's been a major talking point as the main weakness of English football for as long as any of us can remember. 

Archived