• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Literally the first thing I've posted that's remotely detrimental to England in any sincere way. 

The moment you grab a man in the box it's a penalty. It's soft, but this world cup has been all about pretty stringent calls from refs. England have been the victims of grappling all tournament and rightly given the pens for it, but it's a shame that in the rare instance an England player did it, it went under the radar. 

To be fair, we've also been victim to a lot of grappling that's gone unpunished.

Croatia the first team to high press us. For the first half of the first half we were beating their first wave of press well which allowed us to find some decent space. When under pressure in play from a high press,  Pickford has looked for the right hand side as an out-ball (exact same as Chelsea do) where we've done very well to pick up the first and second balls which is allowing us to get this space. As the half went on though, England looked more and more nervous under this pressure, this is the time where the centre backs and goalkeeper need to demand the ball even more and be brave. What we've also done well is stretched Croatia the other way which has helped to relieve pressure and stop the ball coming back and back, this has been through Sterling's pace and Kane's hold up play.

Need to play with personality here and be brave particularly the back six (wing backs, central defenders and goalkeeper), don't take massive risks but keep wanting the ball and trying to play. That one two Stones did in the first half is something I thought I'd never see an England defender do, we need more of that whilst being sensible at the same time. This is the first time I've seen that back six look a bit nervous, it's a big half for them. The second half is going to be a test of whether England can keep relieving the pressure and stop the wave and wave of Croatia attacks.

A random one as well but Young has looked a bit slow in his reactions at times, on and off the ball. Something to keep an eye on.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

"Shame it went under the radar" 

Should be supporting your master race.

If I were any other nationality it'd be totally normal for me to be rooting for the underdog. But yeah because I'm Scottish I've got an obligation to shut my mouth when it's anything to do with England.

Who's the one showing the typical attitude here, me or you?

It's weird that Rakitic and Modric dropped so deep and wide to dictate things against Russia, and today they've done the opposite and driven right into the middle of England's 3 centre backs and 3 centre-mids where it's completely impossible to find them. 

Strinic is the man left most open by England's formation and he's their worst player. 

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Score from a set piece. Sit back, invite pressure. Concede.

Weird seeing this group fall into the old stupid trap after so long. 

Don't think that was the intention, although it is somewhat inevitable. Croatia have just changed things up massively and are dominating.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Don't think that was the intention, although it is somewhat inevitable. Croatia have just changed things up massively and are dominating.

I mean with the way the formations have matched up from the start, the Croatian fullbacks are the free men. That's what lead to the goal. When England were high up the pitch it was working perfectly but deep down they were just inviting too many crosses.

I think it was more a general shift in how aggressively England were defending than Croatia swapping their wingers.

England are panicking. They are playing way too fast. They need to slow the pace down a bit and calm down or else Croatia will score again.

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived