talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ademola Lookman - Signs For RB Leipzig

Leipzig, despite all of their shite in terms of finances and their legal structure, are a progressive club where a young player can learn a lot and kick-on rapidly, and with Lookman specifically it was clear that they considered him an important player even on loan.

If Everton aren't serious about playing him then it's just pride and spite to hold onto him, and his career will suffer. They did well to sign him, but they've already messed him about for two years, and he's found a club where (in only half a season) he feels valued and he can actually fulfil his potential.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Leipzig, despite all of their shite in terms of finances and their legal structure, are a progressive club where a young player can learn a lot and kick-on rapidly, and with Lookman specifically it was clear that they considered him an important player even on loan.

If Everton aren't serious about playing him then it's just pride and spite to hold onto him, and his career will suffer. They did well to sign him, but they've already messed him about for two years, and he's found a club where (in only half a season) he feels valued and he can actually fulfil his potential.

Sign him? I thought he was an academy product? 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The damage Allardyce has as done at Everton is possibly irreversible. 

Eh in this instance yeah he's contributed to the situation but the real long term damage that created this mess for Brands to clean up was caused by Walsh and Koeman.

Last season's transfer window has been analysed in depth already but throw on top of that that those two were also responsible for signing Williams, Bolasie and Schneiderlin before that who are all stinking the place out now having cost us £50m+ in transfer fees in the last couple of years and are all still sitting on £80k-£100k a week each depending on who you believe. Allardyce has left his mark no doubt but nothing compared to those two.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Ademola Lookman has posted a picture on Instragram that includes aeroplane emojis and removed "Everton" from his Twitter bio. :o:o:o

I reckon he's leaving.

When I've seen him (which hasn't been loads) he seems more of a striker who gets the ball and just tries to leather it...I feel like maybe his game in general isn't what Silva wants in his team. It's got to be the only reason he's letting him go so cheaply as he's obviously good enough to be in the first team after what he done in Germany.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Do Everton fans really rate this guy? I've not seen enough of him but my mate's obsessed with him.

He's potentially a huge talent and should be on track to become at least the standard of a regular England international. For this reason and the fact he's an explosive type of player rather than a deep lying midfielder or a centre back, there's a minority of our fans who decided after his debut goal and impressive initial run in the side that he's going to be absolutely world class no matter what and don't seem to be flexible in that opinion despite the fact he's failed to nail down a first team spot or even feature semi regularly for the past year.

With the right guidance he could be a great player. I don't know about world class but certainly a first team player for a club at our current level or possibly good enough to get a move to the top few clubs (or hopefully still be good enough to keep his place for us if we can get in amongst them). If he stays at Everton I feel confident based on what I've seen so far that he can get that guidance from Marco Silva. However the best coach in the world couldn't develop a player with a poor attitude who spends his time sulking, which I'm certain he has because otherwise Silva would be getting him out on the pitch by now.

On the negative side, he's also very raw and makes poor decisions on the ball. He needs to work on his game, ultimately he's been at Everton for 18 months and yet he's done less for us in his Everton career than Richarlison has in two matches.

His time at Leipzig was also overrated from what I saw. He scored on his debut, then started the next six or so games and did fuck all, got dropped to the bench for a bit then had 3 or 4 good cameo appearances which led to a couple of starts which apparently went well. Not bad for a player of his age in a foreign league but not enough to make him a world beater.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 9 months later...
  • Subscriber

I swear I made a new thread on Lookman the other day? Anyway, here we go again:

After a very forgettable season from him and with 2 years left on his deal, sadly this doesn't look to be too far away from a good deal. The main reason I'd keep him now is just out of fear of how silly we'll look when he goes elsewhere and looks quality in a new environment but it just looks harder and harder for him to succeed with us. He came off injured in yesterday's friendly after 15 minutes, his Everton career is cursed I swear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Adiosemola.

Like him as a player but he seems to remain negative towards the club. Not like he's been a total little bitch at any point but his attitude does seem to have been questionable and when you have Koeman, Unsworth, Allardyce and Silva all look at him and not want to give him a first teamer's amount of game time then you have to look at the common denominator, which is Lookman himself.

Due to his talent there's every chance he'll go and make himself a success elsewhere and possibly even turn back up at a Premier League rival one day and make us look silly, but I don't think things can work out for him at Everton for whatever reason.

It's good money at the end of the day, covers most of the Andre Gomes fee, money can go towards a move for Malcom or someone else who can cut in from the right hand side.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

From Charlton to Leipzig within 2-3 years isn't bad going though either.

It would be more impressive if he'd played more than half a season of regular football in that time.

26 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It would be more impressive if he'd played more than half a season of regular football in that time.

I think in that regard it’s very good business for Everton. Like you said, he’s a player that’s failed to make it into the first team under several managers now despite being highly rated. And while he might be highly rated, we’ve all seen highly rated youth come and go without making a more serious impact on the club. Here at least you’re getting a healthy profit, even if his development didn’t lead to more first team looks for him.

I think this is one of those transfers where everyone involved can feel pretty good about the transaction.

• The title was changed to Ademola Lookman - Signs For RB Leipzig

Archived