talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matteo Guendouzi Transfer to Arsenal Complete

Apparently this is really close and I've heard the French journalist who broke this is pretty reliable. 19 year old, French central midfielder who played a decent amount of games for Lorient in Ligue 2 last season.

Fee around 8m euros, so the club must be very high on him if it's true. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuinely can't believe the efficiency of our window so far. The new team had to contend with a World Cup summer and a shortened window and they have done fantastically well. Obviously we have to wait an see how the new guys do, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the new Arsenal.

Interesting no one has been sold yet, fully expect Ospina, Campbell, Jenkinson and a few others out the door.

• Administrator
Just now, Inverted said:

Worth €5 mil for the hair alone.

upping the amount of afros in the Premier League can only be a good thing, Off the top of my head (PUN INTENDED), these are the players who have afros in PL:

Fellaini
David Luiz (is he still a Chelsea player?)
Hamza Choudhury
Willian
Nathan Ake (kinda)

• The title was changed to Matteo Guendouzi Transfer to Arsenal Complete
5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Official. What is going on at Arsenal? 5 confirmed signings before we have even played a pre-season game...

None of which are names that make you think 'wow' though. You'll still do well to get back in to the top four.

7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

None of which are names that make you think 'wow' though. You'll still do well to get back in to the top four.

We needed smart signing's this summer and it's something we have need for a long time. Lichsteiner & Sokratis bring experience and a new stronger mentality. Leno and Torreira our young and still have massive upsides and Guendouzi is purely a potential signing with little risk.

Our team massively under-performed last season, we should never have finished so far off the top 4 like we did. I can see why people right off this team considering how it performed last season but it's easily a top 4 level team.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

We needed smart signing's this summer and it's something we have need for a long time. Lichsteiner & Sokratis bring experience and a new stronger mentality. Leno and Torreira our young and still have massive upsides and Guendouzi is purely a potential signing with little risk.

Our team massively under-performed last season, we should never have finished so far off the top 4 like we did. I can see why people right off this team considering how it performed last season but it's easily a top 4 level team.

Is it?

Who's it better than? I don't see it

13 minutes ago, Storts said:

Is it?

Who's it better than? I don't see it

I think we are pretty comparable to anyone on paper apart from City. It's all going to come down to how well Emery starts and if he gets the team playing again. Last season was the first time we wasn't anywhere near the top 4 in years and that was down to shocking management. I'm not saying we will 100% make the top 4 and obviously teams like Spurs, Liverpool and United are far more settled than us, but for me our team should be more than capable of breaking back in to it.

I think Arsenal have a good squad on paper and they did underperform for sure. But out of the current top 4, I don’t think they could/should have made it last year. Us/Spurs/United fans all had strong league seasons and there are probably more than a few matches that fans of all clubs will think they shot themselves in the foot with regards to how they’ve done (just as you are @Chaaay AFC & I don’t think you’re wrong that Arsenal massively underperformed with the players they have). 

But I do think there were major deficiencies in your defense also coupled with keeper issues (like we’ve got! Wahey, shite goalkeeper pals!!) that probably would have kept you behind the rest of the top 4.

If Arsenal and Chelsea do get their houses in order, although it looks like only Arsenal are doing that, that top 4 fight next year will be fucking brutal.

I think Arsenal are having a good window though. They’ve brought in solid and experienced players at the back - I think that’s key for them because Arsenal had some shocking moments at the back last season. And getting business done early is a good thing.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Arsenal have a good squad on paper and they did underperform for sure. But out of the current top 4, I don’t think they could/should have made it last year. Us/Spurs/United fans all had strong league seasons and there are probably more than a few matches that fans of all clubs will think they shot themselves in the foot with regards to how they’ve done (just as you are @Chaaay AFC & I don’t think you’re wrong that Arsenal massively underperformed with the players they have). 

But I do think there were major deficiencies in your defense also coupled with keeper issues (like we’ve got! Wahey, shite goalkeeper pals!!) that probably would have kept you behind the rest of the top 4.

If Arsenal and Chelsea do get their houses in order, although it looks like only Arsenal are doing that, that top 4 fight next year will be fucking brutal.

I think Arsenal are having a good window though. They’ve brought in solid and experienced players at the back - I think that’s key for them because Arsenal had some shocking moments at the back last season. And getting business done early is a good thing.

Great post mate. Yeah obviously you have done very solid business so far and Spurs are a very consistent team now, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the top 4 staying the same. I just believe the squad we have is more than capable of competing for top 4 and there should be no excuses why it shouldn't.

Unai Emery seems to think that's it for incoming players. Nothing wrong with getting your business done early as demonstrated by Man City and Cardiff last season, but is there other areas where Arsenal can improve? In a squad that lacks mental toughness I still think they have got a long way to go before they disband one of the top four.

On 09/07/2018 at 08:20, Chaaay AFC said:

Genuinely can't believe the efficiency of our window so far. The new team had to contend with a World Cup summer and a shortened window and they have done fantastically well. Obviously we have to wait an see how the new guys do, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the new Arsenal.

Interesting no one has been sold yet, fully expect Ospina, Campbell, Jenkinson and a few others out the door.

If next season goes well not gonna make Wenger look that good

Archived