talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pep Guardiola Is To Thank For England Success

Paul Scholes has hailed the influence Pep Guardiola's approach has had on the success of the England national team in this World Cup.

After beating Sweden 2-0 in Samara on Saturday, England have now reached the World Cup semi-final stage for the first time in 28 years and played some quite brilliant football under Gareth Southgate - easily the most attractive and enjoyable in years.

"I think he is definitely [an influence]. Especially with the way the back three and the way they've got the goalkeeper playing as well," Scholes said during his stint as a pundit for beIN Sports.

"I don't think Gareth has made any secret of that. I think he's been to see Pep and he's picked his brain and he wants to know how he produces that type of football.

"For an England fan and an ex-England player, we want to see the best kind of football. We do. Spain play the best football. Manchester City, last year, played the best football. Why not try to copy that kind of play?"

It's been refreshing to see an England team being so brave on the ball, placing emphasis on building up from the goalkeeper and defenders, and ultimately seeing results.

Kyle Walker, John Stones, Fabian Delph and Raheem Sterling will have been key in getting those principles across to the rest of the squad, but Southgate himself believes Guardiola's impact on English football is already evident from the ground up.

"The impact of seeing that Barcelona team five to seven years ago was enormous," he is quoted as saying prior to the World Cup.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-paul-scholes-gives-credit-to-pep-guardiola-for-england-success-20180708

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

why's he acting like he's the first manager to be successful with a '3 at the back' formation :/ ?

Almost as if it's only Man City players who have got us here. 

To give credit to Pep and not more to Southgate is criminal, in my mind. It's not just the tactics. It's the way the media has been handled, the way the group has been galvanised with calmness and that starts with Southgate. Takes the pressure off the players. Let's them play with freedom and fearlessness and enjoyment. 

To say Pep is to 'thank for England success' is misguided praise. Yeah he's an influence. But he's not the primary one. Southgate deserves so much more credit for getting us here so far and possibly taking us further.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

why's he acting like he's the first manager to be successful with a '3 at the back' formation :/ ?

To give credit to Pep and not more to Southgate is criminal, in my mind. It's not just the tactics. It's the way the media has been handled, the way the group has been galvanised with calmness and that starts with Southgate. Takes the pressure off the players. Let's them play with freedom and fearlessness and enjoyment. 

To say Pep is to 'thank for England success' is misguided praise. Yeah he's an influence. But he's not the primary one. Southgate deserves so much more credit for getting us here so far and possibly taking us further.

There is definitely an international mindset that Guardiola is a football guru and that he has been brave enough during the mid-2000s to change the way football is played. Looking at it from the basis of 3 at the back is very simplistic because it's been played since the 70s. What Pep done was to put emphasis on attack and outscore. To defend WITH the ball and not build a wall.

Whats for sure though is that the present English future outlook in football was based on Spain's football revolution in the late 90s as is well documented. Germany started it first though and is self evident.

what the fuck ....  pep isn't the coach of the england national team.    i pity southgate, with all his triumphs with this england squad but still no one has gave him the credit he well deserves

and for fack's sake why would paul scholes say that Spain plays the best football, did he ever watch that game with russia where spain just did a million HORIZONTAL passes.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Southgate had 2 weeks of coaching from Pep early this summer   ...and City play with a back 2 :ph34r:

Funnily enough, everyone sees Guardiola as being the founder of Tiki Taka, but if you watch old South American World Cup games, we played like that long before Pep was even born.

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I feel like if there is a club coach english fans should thank for England´s success in the World Cup, more than Pep, it is Mauricio Pochettino.

Yeah but Southgate didn't spend hours with Pochettino and did with Pep.  Southgate selected a team and that team had some Spurs players...

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Funnily enough, everyone sees Guardiola as being the founder of Tiki Taka, but if you watch old South American World Cup games, we played like that long before Pep was even born.

Guardiola hates the "tiki-taka" reference.  It's based on Cruyff's vision alone, nothing else.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Guardiola hates the "tiki-taka" reference.  It's based on Cruyff's vision alone, nothing else.

Yep, the Barça style is based on Cruyff´s vision. But one thing I love about Pep is the respect and the reverence he shows for Bielsa, and for Telê Santana and our 1982 squad.

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Yep, the Barça style is based on Cruyff´s vision. But one thing I love about Pep is the respect and the reverence he shows for Bielsa, and for Telê Santana and our 1982 squad.

Guardiola is diverse... Few people it seems know what he's about. There are many aspects about his character that I can't swallow and he's not this perfect being many make him out to be.  But he is a student of the purity that is football and he lives and dies by this belief which is something I respect massively.  Yeah... The stories of him, Bielsa, Menotti and some others spending hours and hours until the break of dawn with bottles of wine are folklore. ;)

I was thinking Happy Blue has been quiet for the first couple of weeks during the World Cup. Really dissapointing to see that his posting stance is so one dimensional it prevents him from properly interacting in the greatest tournament in our life time properly.

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I stopped reading when he said Spain play the best football xD

They just played the worst football of any top seed at the world cup and Russia were a top seed.

I stopped reading at the headline :ph34r:

It's true but not only Guardiola should be thanked. This is the work of foreign managers in the PL in recent years as well. England are scoring a few from set pieces but the actual open play is more "continental" than ever. It's that added to the work being done at the youth level.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah but Southgate didn't spend hours with Pochettino and did with Pep.  Southgate selected a team and that team had some Spurs players...

I think you are underestimating the impact of Pochettino in the career of some of those english players. 

• Subscriber

Pochettino does deserve big credit. He's worked with as many players who've gone on to play for England as anyone recently. Both at Southampton and Tottenham.

2 hours ago, Machado said:

It's true but not only Guardiola should be thanked. This is the work of foreign managers in the PL in recent years as well. England are scoring a few from set pieces but the actual open play is more "continental" than ever. It's that added to the work being done at the youth level.

Great post. The whole English long ball is beginning to diminish with all these foreign managers. Some could say its killing the "football tradition" in the country, but realistically the long ball was only ever played before because on the ground play was difficult in the 60's with all the shite waterlogged pitches that were out of control. That's the way I see it. The ball used was also really shit until 1970 introduced the Tango in the world cup. They aren't the only ones guilty, Uruguay is similarly primitive but I'm not sure if its for the same motives.

12 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I think you are underestimating the impact of Pochettino in the career of some of those english players. 

Mate... I'm not underestimating Pochettino at all.  Remember I follow La Liga avidly.

I know how good he is upto a certain level because the final level hasn't been witnessed yet.

With young players I have four coaches that I love which are obviously Guardiola due to what he's achieved in that aspect bringing in youth at Barça, Mauricio Pochettino at Espanyol and Southampton...Then I really love both Eduardo Berizzo and Quíque Setién.

Archived