talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fernando Hierro Steps Down From Spain Manager Role

football forum

• Administrator

also not returning to his former role in the heirarchy off the field.

wants 'to seek new horizons' and new challenges.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44757529

Fernando Hierro, who led Spain at the 2018 World Cup, has stepped down as coach and will not return to his former role as sporting director.

Hierro was placed in temporary charge of the team after Julen Lopetegui was sacked on the eve of the tournament.

However, the 2010 world champions were knocked out on penalties by hosts Russia in the last 16.

Hierro, 50, has decided to "seek new horizons", according to the Spanish football federation (RFEF).

A statement said the former Real Madrid player had "declined" to return to his previous role and has opted to "undertake new professional challenges".

Lopetegui was sacked two days before their opening World Cup match with Portugal after he was named Real Madrid boss.

Lopetegui became Spain manager in 2016 following Vicente del Bosque's retirement, and remained unbeaten through his reign.

In Russia, Spain topped Group B under Hierro. However, they conceded a late equaliser against Portugal and trailed Morocco 1-0 and 2-1 before scraping a draw in injury time.

After their surprise exit to Russia, Hierro said he accepted responsibility for the team's failure to advance any further.

"We all tried to give it our best but that's football," he said.

"I don't think you can talk about the team breaking down or collapsing. There's a fine line between winning and losing."

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

It was evident from the start that this was a situation involving a limited time. In Spain they've been betting on the next coach from the moment Lopetegui was correctly sacked.

who's in line to take over?

Just now, Stan said:

who's in line to take over?

Right now Luis Enrique is favourite in Spain. Although I have no idea what that's based on. 

If I were to choose, I'd have Quíque Setién from Betis all day... He's the answer!

22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It was evident from the start that this was a situation involving a limited time. In Spain they've been betting on the next coach from the moment Lopetegui was correctly sacked.

He may have been correctly sacked but its ultimately what cost Spain the title, lets be fair.

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

He may have been correctly sacked but its ultimately what cost Spain the title, lets be fair.

Like I said from the beginning of this fiasco mate, I don't want to be associated with crap like that. It has to be eradicated and both parties could've been transparent if they had wanted to. Real Madrid as also Barcelona don't work like that anymore and in that fashion I'd rather go out of the World Cup than have a traitor leading the pack.  I know what this Spain side were capable of and how good they are, I don't need the title to view things in that manner mate.

It's the same as your Perú... Were they really as bad as going out in the first round? Or even Germany!

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Like I said from the beginning of this fiasco mate, I don't want to be associated with crap like that. It has to be eradicated and both parties could've been transparent if they had wanted to. Real Madrid as also Barcelona don't work like that anymore and in that fashion I'd rather go out of the World Cup than have a traitor leading the pack.  I know what this Spain side were capable of and how good they are, I don't need the title to view things in that manner mate.

It's the same as your Perú... Were they really as bad as going out in the first round? Or even Germany!

I'll take your word for it because maybe Spain were the same before he got sacked. 

Yeah, we should have gotten past the first round :( 

28 minutes ago, Blue said:

right on !!!!     the spain we saw in the world cup was miles apart from the spain of the qualifying rounds.

spain gave us some of the most boring games in the world cup most notably the round of 16 against may-maderland rus-ya ....

Just now, Blue said:

I'll take your word for it because maybe Spain were the same before he got sacked. 

Yeah, we should have gotten past the first round :( 

I'm very intelligent mate. I don't need things to tell me what's what. I enjoy them for what they are and get involved in them, but I know what I see.  I understand full well the team were fully behind their mentor Lopetegui and that Hierro wasn't the same but I'm perfectly happy with people's innocent interpretation ( @bozziovai) seeing things as "horizontal passing" rather than domination. Every team has its deficiencies and that's where each individual coach has a job to make the most out of that issue which is what Lopetegui had done with the front line.  I have no doubts Lopetegui would've competed for the World Cup, but I don't want to win anything with an individual capable of that.

I could go on with this talking about other teams but right now what we have is what we have and they (the team's remaining) deserve that respect because they've risen above it all.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm very intelligent mate. I don't need things to tell me what's what. I enjoy them for what they are and get involved in them, but I know what I see.  I understand full well the team were fully behind their mentor Lopetegui and that Hierro wasn't the same but I'm perfectly happy with people's innocent interpretation ( @bozziovai) seeing things as "horizontal passing" rather than domination. Every team has its deficiencies and that's where each individual coach has a job to make the most out of that issue which is what Lopetegui had done with the front line.  I have no doubts Lopetegui would've competed for the World Cup, but I don't want to win anything with an individual capable of that.

I could go on with this talking about other teams but right now what we have is what we have and they (the team's remaining) deserve that respect because they've risen above it all.

thanks for that term innocent, that really fits me ....................   you are one of the guys here who see a football match in an intricate way, but me, the casual football fan that i am, i see it as naturally as i can.     what i see in that game was a tight russian defense and a spain who ran out of ideas.

4 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

thanks for that term innocent, that really fits me ....................   you are one of the guys here who see a football match in an intricate way, but me, the casual football fan that i am, i see it as naturally as i can.     what i see in that game was a tight russian defense and a spain who ran out of ideas.

Spain didn't run out of ideas, Spain had NO ideas mate.  Read Kowabunga's posts on Spain's World Cup from the moment Lopetegui was sacked.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Spain didn't run out of ideas, Spain had NO ideas mate.  Read Kowabunga's posts on Spain's World Cup from the moment Lopetegui was sacked.

in the second half, all i saw was ....     isco passing to a team mate and isco running forward, hoping for a successful 1-2.   that's all they had.

13 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

in the second half, all i saw was ....     isco passing to a team mate and isco running forward, hoping for a successful 1-2.   that's all they had.

I'll rephrase that for you mate...

You saw a team without ideas dominate every aspect of the game without knowing how to penetrate a well formed modern version of the Berlin Wall.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I'll rephrase that for you mate...

You saw a team without ideas dominate every aspect of the game without knowing how to penetrate a well formed modern version of the Berlin Wall.

haha.   don't remind me of the word WALL.   coz i was in the That Didn't Age Well thread when i posted an iron wall and then 3 seconds later portugal scored :D :D  

Spain was doing good with their first game against portugal, was lucky to grab a goal against Iran and dreadful in the last group match with Morocco.   and then, there's that ZzzzZZzzZzzz with mader-rus-ya.       anyhow,  Spain doesn't lack talent, they don't really have a problem in that department, i don't know what they need coz motivation to win something for your country should be strong.      in the del bosque era they were THE football side that everyone wants to see but sadly, they're now in rock bottom.    i don't care about fifa standings but what i meant is their whole structure, the drama, the politics that's destroying their football.

55 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

in the del bosque era they were THE football side that everyone wants to see but sadly, they're now in rock botto

WOW!

Thank the Lord for moderate thinking... Poor Germany! :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Rafa Benitez was wanted by Spain to take temporary charge for their World Cup games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44873968

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez was approached by the Spanish Football Federation about taking temporary charge of Spain at the World Cup, BBC Sport understands.

The RFEF wanted the 58-year-old after Julen Lopetegui was sackedtwo days before Spain's opening match.

Fernando Hierro took charge on an interim basis as they went on to lose on penalties to Russia in the last-16.

Ex-Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has now been appointed on a two-year contract.

Speaking to the Newcastle Chronicle, Benitez said: "There was maybe a chance, but still I am here and I am happy to be here. There was a chance. There were rumours about that."

Archived