talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Supercopa de España 2018: FC BARCELONA 2-1 SEVILLA FC

football forum

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ter Stegen, Semedo, Piqué, Lenglet, Jordi Alba, Dembélé, Arthur, Busquest, Rafinha, Messi y Luis Suárez. 

Subs: Cillessen, I. Rakitic, Coutinho, Munir, Vidal, Umtiti y Miranda

(It was Marca who spelt it Busquest and not me, the spaks..)

It looks like more of a 4-3-3 than 4-4-2 this evening, but as myself and @SirBalon have discussed before, I think Valverde's idea was always utilising a more 4-3-3 formation and mixing it up(by using a 4-4-2 in certain games) last season, before he then lost Neymar followed by his replacement Dembele, to injury. He pretty much had no choice in changing formation due to what was available to him. Now he has more strength in depth and more attacking players at his disposal, I think he will play that formation regularly.

The midfield of Arthur, Busquets and Rafinha is also a very interesting one. Rafinha looks to be staying which brings up the question. Why is there links to more midfielders? None are required at all now. Just look at the bench for options in that area:- Rakitic, Vidal and Coutinho, without mentioning Aleña, who will likely join up with the first team when back from injury, Denis Suarez and Sergi Roberto, who could be utilised there as well as right-back.

18 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Ter Stegen, Semedo, Piqué, Lenglet, Jordi Alba, Dembélé, Arthur, Busquest, Rafinha, Messi y Luis Suárez. 

Subs: Cillessen, I. Rakitic, Coutinho, Munir, Vidal, Umtiti y Miranda

(It was Marca who spelt it Busquest and not me, the spaks..)

It looks like more of a 4-3-3 than 4-4-2 this evening, but as myself and @SirBalon have discussed before, I think Valverde's idea was always utilising a more 4-3-3 formation and mixing it up(by using a 4-4-2 in certain games) last season, before he then lost Neymar followed by his replacement Dembele, to injury. He pretty much had no choice in changing formation due to what was available to him. Now he has more strength in depth and more attacking players at his disposal, I think he will play that formation regularly.

The midfield of Arthur, Busquets and Rafinha is also a very interesting one. Rafinha looks to be staying which brings up the question. Why is there links to more midfielders? None are required at all now. Just look at the bench for options in that area:- Rakitic, Vidal and Coutinho, without mentioning Aleña, who will likely join up with the first team when back from injury, Denis Suarez and Sergi Roberto, who could be utilised there as well as right-back.

Don’t forget Riqui Puig who’s been phenomenal in pre season mate. 

It's a good start to the season with this victory. Sevilla gave a good fight but the only team looking to attack and okay in the other's half was always Barça while Sevilla were speculating most of the time.  Dembélé was man of the match and that screamer of a goal caps a great performance from him. That's exactly what's needed and smiling wouldn't go a miss before he turns into Anelka.

I am still bemused as to the reasoning behind Joachim Löw's selection of Manuel Neuer over Marc-André ter Stegen for Germany during the World Cup.

Not that Neuer had a terrible World Cup because he didn't.  But what was the selection for the first team based on?  Neuer was out for most of the season and as I said at the time, Ter Stegen had performed incredibly well during last season with various games where he pulled off some miraculous saves.

Who!s to say that in the form he was on that he may have pulled something out of the bag for the goals conceded that saw Germany eventually eliminated in the first round as defending World Champions?

Anyway... Not just for the penalty save in the final minute of the game yesterday, but also for his alround performance which had leadership qualities written all over it.

Nice goal by Dembele. It was like a mirror image of the goal he scored against Chelsea in terms of the finish, but from further out.

He had a good game allround. He still needs to work on his end product overall, but that always comes with age and experience. He looks really up for it this season though and has been very impressive in training from what I have seen on Barça.tv.

Messi's passing last night was another level. He must have picked out a good 10 passes which were worthy of a highlight reel. He looks sharp and in a few games time I can see him being right at his best.

The main concern was Suarez for me. He looked poor and off the pace, just like he did for 3 months of last season. Hopefully it's just a case of him getting back into his stride after not playing since the World Cup as him performing at his best will be vital this season.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived