talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Transfer Complete

Xherdan Shaqiri will be spearheading Switzerland's World Cup campaign this summer, but he was powerless to prevent Stoke City from dropping out of the Premier League.

Arguably the club's most high-profile player, the odds overwhelmingly suggest he is set to leave the Potters in search of pastures new, while earlier in May he confirmed he will hold talks with Stoke over his future after the end of the season.

Everton have emerged as favourites to sign the 26-year-old - whose contract at Stoke runs until 2020 - with a return to Inter Milan deemed the most likely destination should he favour a move abroad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Definitely Leaving Stoke
3 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Thought be as about 30 O.o

Same, shocked he's only 26. Been round fucking ages. If you can get him motivated, he can be a valuable player. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Can see him at Leicester to replace Mahrez.

I can see that too. 

Shaqiri is very hot and cold though whenever I've seen him. Less consistent than Mahrez but then again it was Stoke he was playing for. 

46 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I don't know why trousers are unzipped at the sound of Shaqiri, he's pretty shite. 

You don't half exaggerate 😂 

I'm saying he can be valuable if you get him focused and motivated. Hardly wanking him off.

He's clearly got a lot of talent, just hasn't had the mentality to take advantage of it. 

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Good depth option. 8 goals for a relegation side. Imagine how many he'd get playing under Klopps style. 

Yeah, the article that says we're in for him is Dave Maddock - who over the last few seasons has been increasingly reliable with LFC transfer rumours - also says Everton and Roma are interested. But we're looking to snag him for £12m (which isn't a lot in this day and age) so we have a cheap signing for depth on the wings while our main priority remains Fekir & a goalkeeper.

I imagine the only reason he'd choose either of the other is for game time. But if he wants one last shot at a big club, we've been progressing well and we do need depth pretty badly. Especially out wide.

• Subscriber

Don't think he's entirely the type of character you want around the squad really so for us it's a big nono as we've already got enough shitehawks ourselves.

Liverpool would be a better fit as the squad there seems to have a good chemistry and they'd be more likely to turn Shaqiri good than him disrupt the existing dressing room.

Don't think he's as good on the pitch as his reputation suggests though anyway.

• 1 month later...

I initially didn't want him. Seemed to be a weird signing, considering he didn't exactly pull up any trees at Stoke. But then I looked at his stats from Mane's last season at Southampton and compared them - Shaqiri was better than Mane that year. He's had a rough time at Stoke this year though, but his performances in this World Cup indicated he's better when he's around better players rather than playing that turgid shite Stoke have been treating us to for years (thank god they were relegated).

As a depth signing, I think this is a good option for us. He's familiar with the league. He's got pace and gets into dangerous positions. He's not the best crosser, but he's certainly not the worst crosser. He's not the best at shooting, but again.... he's not bad at it either. Considering that last year when we had to pull Salah or Mane we'd have to go with Lallana, who was unfit and doesn't have anywhere near as much pace, or Solanke, who's just raw. And in recent years we haven't had much in the way of depth, so I'm not going to say no to someone like Shaqiri who's looked like one of the better wingers in this World Cup. Granted, I hate buying players off the back of a good tournament... but it's not like Shaqiri is some unknown player. And the price makes the risk miniscule.

This is the signing that seems weird on first glance but when you think about it makes total sense. Liverpool's big problem last season was evident in the final when you looked at their bench and realised there wasn't much depth in the squad at all. Here is an experienced player whose quick and skillfull enough to compliment Liverpools attacking outlets at a relatively cheap price. As a squad player you can't really have any complaints.

Be a good option on the bench for us. He's a good player with potential to be an excellent player under the right manager, hopefully Klopp is that man. You can't argue at 13m really.

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Found his level at Stoke, poor from Klopp this.

Tbf he has done pretty well with signing relegated players and getting them to perform for us. Robertson and Gini have been absolute bargains, especially Robertson - it’s actually mental we got him so cheap.

I would certainly rather throw Shaqiri into a match off the bench to replace Salah or Mane than any other options we had.

And if we aren’t signing a goalkeeper, we basically need depth up front more than anything. I mean I think we need a goalkeeper more, but there’s no doubt we need depth if we want to be competing at the top of our league and in the CL.

• Subscriber

A good move for all parties I think. He's a bit of a melt but you'd expect Klopp and Liverpool's tight knit squad to avoid being disrupted by his bullshit and instead have a positive influence on him and get the best football out of him on the pitch. You don't get many players with his output for £13m these days even if he is inconsistent and unreliable. Hopefully it turns out to be a horrible move for them though.

Amazing how £13m is now a snip these days. Think for that price you can't really go wrong, he has the ability to play for a top side I just think it's always been his mentality/choices which have let him down. I think he would be a cracking signing for Liverpool, he could flourish under the positivity of Klopp's management.

• The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Transfer Complete

Archived