talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Transfer Complete

On 06/06/2018 at 21:03, RandoEFC said:

Don't think he's entirely the type of character you want around the squad really so for us it's a big nono as we've already got enough shitehawks ourselves.

Liverpool would be a better fit as the squad there seems to have a good chemistry and they'd be more likely to turn Shaqiri good than him disrupt the existing dressing room.

Don't think he's as good on the pitch as his reputation suggests though anyway.

I believe the consensus in the scientific community is that the opposite generally happens when you introduce a bad apple to a good bunch. I'm doubly concerned about this because having the team gel so well as a unit is crucial to our success moreso than for most other teams and if Shaqiri doesn't get a lot of minutes (which should be the case) you'd expect his attitude to go south quicker than it would otherwise.

However, I simply don't think Klopp would take the risk on Shaqiri if he was genuinely a difficult character, or at least if he was as difficult as some are suggesting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I think its a good signing for you guys, as you mentioned and what was most evident from the outside was lack of depth on the wings. He was a quality bench player for us years ago, however when he was handed starts he rarely impressed; his time at Bayen was overall fairly inconsistent. Mind you I havent watched him at Stoke since. 

2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I think its a good signing for you guys, as you mentioned and what was most evident from the outside was lack of depth on the wings. He was a quality bench player for us years ago, however when he was handed starts he rarely impressed; his time at Bayen was overall fairly inconsistent. Mind you I havent watched him at Stoke since. 

He hasn't been great at Stoke, but he's basically been the only creative midfielder there and the best striker they had with him playing at the club is a very old Peter Crouch, so I'm not too surprised he's been underwhelming. But I think his whole career has been marked by inconsistency - but I'd still rather bring him off the bench than some/most of the players we've been able to throw into a match.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He hasn't been great at Stoke, but he's basically been the only creative midfielder there and the best striker they had with him playing at the club is a very old Peter Crouch, so I'm not too surprised he's been underwhelming. But I think his whole career has been marked by inconsistency - but I'd still rather bring him off the bench than some/most of the players we've been able to throw into a match.

Yeah that makes alot of sense. We know what he is at this point and hes a fine squad player to add If youre able to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Does this mean the move for Fekir is completely dead?

Apparently not. All our reliables are saying it's done already but Lyon have postponed any announcement until they have a replacement. Others are saying we are trying to re-structure the payments of the deal. 

By all accounts Shaqiri is purely a cheap, low risk depth signing. 

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why would it? They don't play the same position so they?

It's another attacking midfielder - they do play similar positions - certainly seems like overkill to get both for me.

59 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Apparently not. All our reliables are saying it's done already but Lyon have postponed any announcement until they have a replacement. Others are saying we are trying to re-structure the payments of the deal. 

By all accounts Shaqiri is purely a cheap, low risk depth signing. 

Interesting - guess we will wait and see then. Can't see Shaqiri getting many opportunities though if Fekir also comes in.

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

It's another attacking midfielder - they do play similar positions - certainly seems like overkill to get both for me.

Interesting - guess we will wait and see then. Can't see Shaqiri getting many opportunities though if Fekir also comes in.

Given our options off the bench or inability to rotate in attacking positions last season, it certainly wouldn't be overkill. I'd hope we can get Shaqiri and one other. The drop off in quality when one of the front three were rested was huge

• The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Transfer Complete

Xherdan Shaqiri's mix of ability, attitude and potential ensured his signing made perfect sense for Liverpool, explained Jürgen Klopp.

The Switzerland international became the club’s third new arrival of the summer today when he completed a medical and penned a long-term contract at Melwood.

Shaqiri joins the Reds after three years in the Premier League with Stoke City that included 84 appearances and a total of 30 goals and assists, following spells with Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and FC Basel.

Klopp has admired the attacker’s versatility, skillset and personality for some time and feels the opportunity to recruit the 26-year-old came at the perfect moment for both parties.

“I think the English phrase to explain the decision to sign Xherdan is a ‘no-brainer’. When someone like him becomes available in this way you have to react if you are smart – and we have,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.

“He has speed and ability, has the right amount of arrogance on the football pitch, real bravery to want the ball and influence things. To play for us these are mandatory requirements.

“We are the perfect move for him in this moment as well I think, because he needs to push himself and challenge himself and our environment encourages that. We will want him to express himself but also learn and improve the areas of his game where he can still make progression.

“From our perspective, he is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system. He gives us greater flexibility in how we can use our current players also. This is cool.

“I know him well from his time in Switzerland and especially Germany – I have been a long-time admirer. But the added bonus now is that he knows the Premier League and what it takes to perform in this uniquely intense environment. He also did really well at the World Cup – so he comes to us full of belief and confidence.

“Finally, Xherdan the person will fit in perfectly at Liverpool I believe. He has personality and drive – he is someone who will feed off the positive emotion of our crowd. He joins a dressing room of really good lads and I know they will welcome him with open arms and help him settle and integrate quickly.”

14 hours ago, Storts said:

I think we’re bracing to lose Salah next year and looking to get the one up signing in early so we don’t find other clubs doubling the asking price when PSG/Barca/RM fork out 200M for Salah.

The Keita move or some variation of it, which fills the position they knew would be vacated by Coutinho..

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I think we’re bracing to lose Salah next year and looking to get the one up signing in early so we don’t find other clubs doubling the asking price when PSG/Barca/RM fork out 200M for Salah.

The Keita move or some variation of it, which fills the position they knew would be vacated by Coutinho..

Are you saying you think Shaqiri is Salah's replacement? I don't think you're right but if you are then we're a club that's never going to move forward

• Administrator

Absolute bargain at that price. He was hit and miss a bit but I think that's because he was playing with shite around him at Stoke. 

I think he'll flourish at Liverpool. Good move. Could be bargain of the summer if it works out in his first season. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Absolute bargain at that price. He was hit and miss a bit but I think that's because he was playing with shite around him at Stoke. 

I think he'll flourish at Liverpool. Good move. Could be bargain of the summer if it works out in his first season. 

Good point regarding him at Stoke. I didn't realise until recently that he notched 9 goals and 8 assists from the wing last season which for a relegated team isn't too shabby. 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Good point regarding him at Stoke. I didn't realise until recently that he notched 9 goals and 8 assists from the wing last season which for a relegated team isn't too shabby. 

yep. it's good stats considering he would have been relied on for all kinds of creativity and given that they'd have lost Arnautovic who was probably the closest to being level to his abilities. 

I expect him to get double figures for goals and/or assists next season in a far better team than the mighty Stoke.

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Are you saying you think Shaqiri is Salah's replacement? I don't think you're right but if you are then we're a club that's never going to move forward

No. I'm saying that us still looking out for more attacking players like Fekir even though we just signed shaqiri is us being wise to the chance of losing Salah next season.... 

Archived