talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xherdan Shaqiri - Liverpool Transfer Complete

3 hours ago, Stan said:

yep. it's good stats considering he would have been relied on for all kinds of creativity and given that they'd have lost Arnautovic who was probably the closest to being level to his abilities. 

I expect him to get double figures for goals and/or assists next season in a far better team than the mighty Stoke.

Assuming he gets enough minutes. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

No. I'm saying that us still looking out for more attacking players like Fekir even though we just signed shaqiri is us being wise to the chance of losing Salah next season.... 

I'm hoping it's us realising that there's not enough quality after the current front three and the need to be able to rotate or be more flexible.

Get another attacker and keeper and you couldn't complain with the summer dealings. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Assuming he gets enough minutes. 

I reckon he would. Certainly enough to make an impact. I doubt he'd have wanted to move at mid 20s and just be on the bench. 

On 13/07/2018 at 15:12, LFCMadLad said:

I really don't get how people can't see that we need strengthening in attacking areas when last season our options off the bench were Ings and Solanke. Compared to the teams around us that is absolutely dire. 

What do you reckon is in store for Solanke this season? He looks like he needs a lot more games but hes not of the quality to get that at Liverpool 

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

What do you reckon is in store for Solanke this season? He looks like he needs a lot more games but hes not of the quality to get that at Liverpool 

I want him to go on loan to the championship or with Stevie at Rangers to get more experience. He’s raw as fuck, there’s quality there he’s shown glimpses of but he needs experience.

To be honest, other than his goal on the last day of the season I've not seen anything from Solanke to suggest he'll ever make it here. Hopefully his first goal on the last day changes things for him but prior to that he looked lost

32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I want him to go on loan to the championship or with Stevie at Rangers to get more experience. He’s raw as fuck, there’s quality there he’s shown glimpses of but he needs experience.

Rangers is a great shout. A league where he will get plenty of first team opportunities in front of a big crowd that has high expectations. That would be great for him.

I wanted Solanke to succeed so bad because he clearly works hard whenever he gets his chance in the team he's just not ready for the top level yet. Rangers would be a great move for him but I'd rather he stayed in the premier league.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Solanke must have something about him if he was on a par with Lookman, Dowell, Kenny and Calvert-Lewin in that tournament winning side.

Other than Lookman who got a chance in Germany, Solanke's biggest issue is that he's an expected first teamer where as those players are on the brink of the first team/academy/loan system.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Other than Lookman who got a chance in Germany, Solanke's biggest issue is that he's an expected first teamer where as those players are on the brink of the first team/academy/loan system.

He shouldn't be an expected first teamer/sub though. I know Chelsea and youth players are a special case but he was nowhere near their first team so he shouldn't have been brought in to contribute to Liverpool's first team.

He should have been loaned out or been playing for the under 23s if Klopp wanted him around the club so he could coach him. This takes it back to the issue of him needing to sit on the bench due to their lack of depth though.

The constant shouts for young Liverpool players to be loaned to Rangers are a bit odd for me though. I know there's the Gerrard link, but does he actually have a track record of developing young players into Premier League quality talent? A genuine question, I know he's worked with the youth team and apparently done a decent job, is he supposed to have had a decent hand in developing Alexander-Arnold? Can't think of many others off the top of my head that have broken through lately.

27 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Solanke must have something about him if he was on a par with Lookman, Dowell, Kenny and Calvert-Lewin in that tournament winning side.

Very different level of football, I think people do overestimate the worth of winning youth trophies. A lot of the better young players are already involved with a higher level of football by that stage, some are even playing for their full national sides. 

23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

He shouldn't be an expected first teamer/sub though. I know Chelsea and youth players are a special case but he was nowhere near their first team so he shouldn't have been brought in to contribute to Liverpool's first team.

He should have been loaned out or been playing for the under 23s if Klopp wanted him around the club so he could coach him. This takes it back to the issue of him needing to sit on the bench due to their lack of depth though.

The constant shouts for young Liverpool players to be loaned to Rangers are a bit odd for me though. I know there's the Gerrard link, but does he actually have a track record of developing young players into Premier League quality talent? A genuine question, I know he's worked with the youth team and apparently done a decent job, is he supposed to have had a decent hand in developing Alexander-Arnold? Can't think of many others off the top of my head that have broken through lately.

It’s cos he was our youth manager and it’s a club that’s roughly championship level but with great expectations. And he’s probably going to have LFCs interests in mind too because of who he is.

New Liverpool signing Xherdan Shaqiri "never turned up" for Stoke in important moments, according to former team-mate Charlie Adam.

Shaqiri, currently on holiday after representing Switzerland at the World Cup in Russia, declared his ambition to win titles after joining Liverpool earlier this month for £13.5m, saying he wanted to play on "the biggest stage in football".

He revealed he had wanted to sign for the club years before.

Xherdan Shaqiri has joined Liverpool from Stoke - we've taken a look at some of his best moments from last season.

The 27-year-old was part of the Stoke squad which Adam said had been "getting away with murder" before their relegation to the Sky Bet Championship in May.

Shaqiri announced his desire to leave Stoke shortly after their Premier League exit was confirmed, but Adam identified the Swiss midfielder as one of the 'so-called big players' his criticism had been aimed at.

"Was he one of them? Oh, definitely," Adam, who played for Liverpool between 2011 and 2012, told TalkSPORT.

"When the chips are down you look at your big players, you want your big players to bring magic in one moment in the season, and at times we felt like the so-called big players in the squad never turned up for us and never performed.

"Yeah, everybody else could help, but for all the plaudits to so-called bigger players we getting from certain members of the management staff last season - they weren't producing."

Excellent signing for a bargain price. Even if he doesn't do a good job or flops they can easily return the invested money. Great option to have from the bench or to start if any of the top forwards/wingers need a rest. 

• Administrator

'never turned up'? Is Charlie Adam having a laugh?

Shaqiri is one of few players who would turn up. It's the dross he was playing with (like Adam himself) which made it increasingly difficult for him to consistently perform.

As for Shaqiri declaring his ambition to win titles, why would you join Liverpool :ph34r: ?

Have to say it's been a good window so far for Liverpool. 

Alisson. 1st choice GK

Keita and Fabinho. Likely 1st choice CMs

Shaqiri. Great cover option for depth in the attack. 

It feels like the first summer we are really shopping from the top table again since the early benitez era.

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Have to say it's been a good window so far for Liverpool. 

Alisson. 1st choice GK

Keita and Fabinho. Likely 1st choice CMs

Shaqiri. Great cover option for depth in the attack. 

It feels like the first summer we are really shopping from the top table again since the early benitez era.

It's been longer than that, mate. The only signing of that sort we made in the Benitez era was Torres. We signed some other top players obviously, but they weren't particularly highly regarded at the time.

43 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It's been longer than that, mate. The only signing of that sort we made in the Benitez era was Torres. We signed some other top players obviously, but they weren't particularly highly regarded at the time.

Alonso was highly thought off when we signed him but I get your point. 

Archived