talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Houses, Flats, Rent & Mortgages Thread

football forum

14 hours ago, Romesh said:

Didn't say you couldn't, but it probably comes at a heftier price. 

Not really, can often find furnished places at similar prices to non furnished, and even then having to buy a bed, sofa, table, to stand etc all adds up

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

In the process of buying my first house at the moment and by in the process I mean actually going out and looking at potential properties. I don't know if it's just the area that I live in but you can buy a shoe box and what feels like a mansion for the same price. It seems as though people literally put their houses on the market for whatever the feel like and you just have to spot the right property at the right time. 

Visited a house today and it was a right shambles, didn't even ask any questions just spent five minutes wandering around and then left.

You're far too polite. When I was house hunting if I didn't like a place I didn't muck about. If I didn't like it from the off I'd say so and leave.

I'm 29 and have owned my own home for 2 years with my partner after saving up by living with my parents and also we were lucky we had some short term financial backing from my parents. Its a 3 bedroom detached new build house in a good area, and a house we can stay in for 10 years and have a child and pet in. We are lucky we like in the north west outside of the big cities as prices are reasonable otherwise we wouldn't be in this position. We pay just over £500 mortgage and bills are fairly cheap as its a new build and just the two of us (in total around £900 a month all in bills and mortgage including sky TV, direct debits for furniture). We would be spending much more if we were renting, and wouldn't have as nice a house but you need the deposit for a house which takes years of sacrifices (living with parents, saving, budgeting, less nights out/expensive clothes etc). 

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Cannabis said:

In the process of buying my first house at the moment and by in the process I mean actually going out and looking at potential properties. I don't know if it's just the area that I live in but you can buy a shoe box and what feels like a mansion for the same price. It seems as though people literally put their houses on the market for whatever the feel like and you just have to spot the right property at the right time. 

Visited a house today and it was a right shambles, didn't even ask any questions just spent five minutes wandering around and then left.

the first house you view is very rarely the one you'll end up buying. Usually takes a few houses so you can know what you want and know what you don't like. 

You buying it with the mrs? 

Currently looking to buy. I have had bids for two houses unsuccessful so far. The first one I was proper gazumped. The other party interested had a 70% deposit ready to put down which blew me out the water. Bid wise, I don't think we were miles away from the asking price so I was close.

The other one I bid for wasn't long after the first bid for the other house, and whilst I liked it, I don't think I was in love with it as much as the first one. So when I was told for a third time that someone else had bid higher than me on this house, I pulled out. There get's to a point the house just isn't worth the price it's going for, especially if you don't want it enough.

Since then I kind of licked my wounds a bit and stopped looking for a while but in the past few months I've gone back to actively searching.

Just ridiculous though when you look at what you can get in say Leeds/Sheffield for the same price as Southampton. I'd have no problem buying something nice up North but my commitments are all down here.

• 1 month later...

I was looking to buy a house here and it was stressing me out. Then I got a job offer in the SF Bay Area and I'm probably going to take it - so that means I can scrap my home buying plans here.

And it also means I can scrap my house buying plans any time fucking soon, because there's no way I can afford a house in the bay area. The rent is going to be fuuuuuuucking miserable, I haven't even started looking. I wouldn't be starting til January, so I've got time to look but it's going to be depressing because it'll be more than a mortgage would have been here... and I still won't own it.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was looking to buy a house here and it was stressing me out. Then I got a job offer in the SF Bay Area and I'm probably going to take it - so that means I can scrap my home buying plans here.

And it also means I can scrap my house buying plans any time fucking soon, because there's no way I can afford a house in the bay area. The rent is going to be fuuuuuuucking miserable, I haven't even started looking. I wouldn't be starting til January, so I've got time to look but it's going to be depressing because it'll be more than a mortgage would have been here... and I still won't own it.

I love you. 

I'm hoping to have a mortgage by the end of next year.

Previously renting, the girlfriend and I are now staying at her parents house which is saving us an absolute fortune although not the ideal situation after experiencing the freedom of your own place for almost 2 years.

Journey time to work doubled although managed to get myself a diesel to keep fuel costs down as well.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rab said:

I'm hoping to have a mortgage by the end of next year.

Previously renting, the girlfriend and I are now staying at her parents house which is saving us an absolute fortune although not the ideal situation after experiencing the freedom of your own place for almost 2 years.

Journey time to work doubled although managed to get myself a diesel to keep fuel costs down as well.

how do you keep her quiet at night :ph34r: 

• 3 years later...
  • Subscriber

Was going to start a thread like this. Anyway, are any of you doing any renovations at the moment? At my Grandma's house she's currently having decorating done. I always do the prep work though, taking the paper off. Sometimes it can take a whole bloody day just to get it off one wall due to it being stuck tight, even with a steamer.

Do the rest of you do prep work to save money? Quite often I've taken plaster off the wall right down to the brick, this is hardcore lol.

What about style? Do you lot spend a lot on renovations? 

Not renovating but a lot has changed since my posts in 2017.

Had a mortgage since just before Christmas last year and it was sad to see our decent deposit disappear from my bank account and now be in debt for 30 years (depending on interest rates my aim is to pay it off in 25 - but twins too soooo).

Mortgage isn’t much a month considering we are both still earning good money ( in fact it is currently less than our old combined rent). We will be in a good spot in a few years when we are both working full time and that’s when I want to push harder on the repayments (depending on interest rates again as I keep hearing they’re gonna skyrocket here in a couple of years?!). 

Feels nice to own my own home though. It’s a well established house on 700m2 block. 4 by 2. Bit of work in the backyard to maintain it and a constant flow of little projects inside the house to get it to where we want it but it’s nice! 

Edited by Toinho
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MUFC said:

Was going to start a thread like this. Anyway, are any of you doing any renovations at the moment? At my Grandma's house she's currently having decorating done. I always do the prep work though, taking the paper off. Sometimes it can take a whole bloody day just to get it off one wall due to it being stuck tight, even with a steamer.

Do the rest of you do prep work to save money? Quite often I've taken plaster off the wall right down to the brick, this is hardcore lol.

Any pics?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, MUFC said:

I got a new window put in because something hit my window and cracked it. Does that count?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Saving to buy. 

I moved back in with my parents after graduating, thinking I'd soon be moving to Edinburgh for work when I began my 2 year training contract in September 2020. Then, lockdown and WFH happened, so Im still here. 

I pay "rent" to my parents but it's half what I'd be paying in actual rent. They kinda need the help to keep up with bills etc but they also are obsessed with me owning my own place so they refuse to take more. Otherwise I am also spending a fraction of what I would in normal life, so I have managed to build up a pretty good lump of savings. 

I have more than enough to probably put down a 10% deposit on a decent one bedroom flat. My salary however is terrible and I have no job security past September 2022, so I will not be able to buy until after then.

I am desperate to get my own place again, but it would feel like a waste to rent now when I just need to put up with living here for one more year.

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 1

Look at you lot buying houses and that, mavericks.

Moved to north London just after Christmas, renting a flat. Excruciatingly expensive, but I've got a tube stop at the end of my road, 2 other lines within walking distance, couple of "hubs" within walking distance, loads of restaurants, bars, things to do. Trading cheap rent in a boring area and savings for expensive rent, fun lifestyle and no savings.

Would love to have my own house one day even if just so I could have free reign to do what I want to the garden and the house, but otherwise not overly bothered with buying right now.

• Upvote 1

Trying to get on the market now. 

Have a good enough deposit (been saving for a little while) and job security is fine so not worried about that. However, my salary has never been good enough to take out a good mortgage as a single buyer. July is the time I should have a decent salary to try and get on the property ladder but even then, the house prices are still ridiculous.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MUFC said:

Weird that because I will literally talking about this with my mum and dad last night and actually thought they were taking the piss. 

They are looking to buy in North Wales and have said it's like hitting your head against a brick wall. People must know the time new properties are being upload on to the site because my mum said she see's a new property and asks for a viewing only to be told they've already accepted an offer. 

The housing market is crazy these days, I'm pretty lucky I live in a good postcode and am literally 5 minutes from the airport. I've sold two houses in the last 5 years and both have sold within two days of them being placed on the market. My first house had four viewings on the first day and we had two solid offers and my second house sold off a viewing on the second day. 

My wife has set up camp in the current house, I'm all for moving again as the house prices are climbing all the time in my area. 

• Thanks 1