talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Human Development Index - (HDI)

football forum

Has anyone ever looked into stats like this? I find this stuff interesting even if it's trying to rank something that I'm not sure you can accurate depict. 

From Wikipedia:

The Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite statistic (composite index) of life expectancy, education, and per capita income indicators, which are used to rank countries into four tiers of human development. A country scores higher HDI when the lifespan is higher, the education level is higher, and the GDP per capita is higher. The HDI was developed by Pakistani economist Mahbub ul Haq which was further used to measure the country's development by the United Nations Development Program(UNDP).[1][2]

The 2010 Human Development Report introduced an Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI). While the simple HDI remains useful, it stated that "the IHDI is the actual level of human development (accounting for inequality)", and "the HDI can be viewed as an index of 'potential' human development (or the maximum IHDI that could be achieved if there were no inequality)".

The index is based on the human development approach, developed by Ul Haq, often framed in terms of whether people are able to "be" and "do" desirable things in life. Examples include—Being: well fed, sheltered, healthy; Doings: work, education, voting, participating in community life. It must also be noted that the freedom of choice is central—someone choosing to be hungry (e.g. during a religious fast) is quite different to someone who is hungry because they cannot afford to buy food.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

Current Top 10 Countries -

1. Norway
2. Australia / Switzerland (TIE)
4. Germany
5. Denmark / Singapore (TIE)
7. Netherlands
8. Ireland
9. Iceland
10. Canada / USA (TIE)

Current Bottom 10 Countries - 

179. Eritrea / Sierra Leone (TIE)
181. Mozambique / South Sudan (TIE)
183. Guinea
184. Burundi
185. Burkina Faso
186. Chad
187. Niger
188. Central African Republic

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I look at it a lot. Chile have really evolved since Pinochet took over, before they were as bad as us and now they have overtaken Argentina.

We are in 87th at the moment, I find it surprising that we are above Colombia to be honest. The country is very capital centric as everywhere outside of Lima you win very little. Colombia has many cities even if Bogota is a huge city.

I also don't get how Australia is above Canada to be honest. I've been in both countries and Canada seemed more developed to me. I love oz but I wouldn't say they are second to be honest. Maybe its just the area I stayed in Sydney. Wooloomoolloo is a shithole. 

New Zealand also seems a bit high too. Its not underdeveloped at all but outside Auckland and Wellington they are just little towns that have buildings that seem outdated, which maybe doesn't represent "development".

• Subscriber

Inequality-adjusted Human Development (IHDI) offers a better insight as it accounts for inequality. Haven't checked the rankings, but I'm pretty sure the list looks completely different.

Archived