talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Yerry Mina - Signs for Everton

Man Utd's interest in Leicester City centre-back Harry Maguire has cooled, SSN has been told, and instead Barcelona defender Yerry Mina has become a key transfer target for Jose Mourinho. 

It’s thought United could do a deal with the Catalans for as little as £30m - he cost just £10m when he signed from Palmeiras in January, but has been frustrated by a lack of La Liga appearances (4).

Leicester were adamant in telling United that Maguire is not for sale - Mourinho was prepared to pay £65m for the 25-year old.

It now looks like Maguire will stay at King Power Stadium and SSN expects Leicester to open talks on an improved contract for the England international in the coming weeks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Going off this one as it sounds as if he's more interested in playing for a Champions League club than playing regular football. We're desperate in that position so I'll have him and I want to avoid cliches but I would rather us go for someone who actually wants to be at Everton and believes in the future of the club.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Seen yet more stories today about how Mina is decent on the ball and a good aerial threat but not actually a good defender.

@SirBalon @The Rebel CRS @Stan @Cannabis @Paulo Dybala what do you think? I've never seen him play besides the World Cup.

I actually think he’s more than decent as a defender and a lot depends on the system that’s played. As you know Barça play very open and that means a lot of concentration and recovering one’s position. That’s where he’s got to brush up on and also his passing isn’t good enough at least for Barça.

But in the air he’s a monster that can compete with Sergio Ramos or John Stones. 

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I actually think he’s more than decent as a defender and a lot depends on the system that’s played. As you know Barça play very open and that means a lot of concentration and recovering one’s position. That’s where he’s got to brush up on and also his passing isn’t good enough at least for Barça.

But in the air he’s a monster that can compete with Sergio Ramos or John Stones. 

Huh? 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Seen yet more stories today about how Mina is decent on the ball and a good aerial threat but not actually a good defender.

@SirBalon @The Rebel CRS @Stan @Cannabis @Paulo Dybala what do you think? I've never seen him play besides the World Cup.

his aerial ability is probably his biggest strength. I'd say he's capable on the ball being a defender but that's kind of expected in football these days.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Huh? 

my reaction too xD. I'd have gone for someone like Diego Godin there. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

his aerial ability is probably his biggest strength. I'd say he's capable on the ball being a defender but that's kind of expected in football these days.

my reaction too xD. I'd have gone for someone like Diego Godin there. 

Godín is brilliant everywhere defensively but he also has years and years of experience behind him. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Godín is brilliant everywhere defensively but he also has years and years of experience behind him. 

so does Ramos though?

When I think of defenders aerially dominant, Stones doesn't come to mind. Players like Ramos and Godin do. Even Vincent Kompany when his glass knees aren't smashed up. 

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me Stones is magnificent in the air mate.

Quite literally the last person on my mind when I think of defenders in that regard. Cahill or Kompany well worthy of a comparison to Ramos 

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Mina hasnt got the positional play to play for a top class team. Let alone the club that value themselves as the biggest in the world.

Keep dangling that rod out there Aaron :whistling:.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Keep dangling that rod out there Aaron :whistling:.

It's what Manchester United value themselves as. At the very minimum they expect to compete with Manchester City. Will Mina enable them to compete with that?

If you compare how many goals are scored by headers from corners in the Premier League now to five years ago I reckon its lowered considerably. Then compare that percentage to the goals scored by headers from corners at the World Cup and you'd see a very high increase. That's what Mina is good at and that's not a strength in the Premier League at the moment. 

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's what Manchester United value themselves as. At the very minimum they expect to compete with Manchester City. Will Mina enable them to compete with that?

If you compare how many goals are scored by headers from corners in the Premier League now to five years ago I reckon its lowered considerably. Then compare that percentage to the goals scored by headers from corners at the World Cup and you'd see a very high increase. That's what Mina is good at and that's not a strength in the Premier League at the moment. 

Actually thought you were sarcastically talking about us xD.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Mina hasnt got the positional play to play for a top class team. Let alone the club that value themselves as the biggest in the world.

Indeed his positional recovery is very basic and rather chaotic where he even invades his centre-back partner's space... If anyone wants to see how bad that can be they need look no further than Barcelona's only defeat in La Liga last season (right at the end of the campaign) where Barça actually played a very good game but by himself he managed to help Levante win it with some atrocious positional play.

But he is young and that's something that can be learned because he does have other tremendous defensive attributes like aerial dominance.

😂😂😂

Aston Villa have made a surprise offer for Barcelona defender Yerry Mina, reports TMW.

The Sky Bet Championship side have offered Barcelona an initial fee of €10m and €10m in add-ons.

However, Barca are seeking a fee of €40m for the Colombia international, who is also a firm target for Manchester United and Everton.

On 02/08/2018 at 14:56, RandoEFC said:

I think he's decent on the ball but it's an area he can(and probably will) improve on, he's an absolute beast in terms of his aerial ability but was exposed for his defensive abilities against Levante. I wouldn't say this was just off a World Cup though as he was shining a lot out in Brazil for Palmeiras and looks the business for Colombia. He wasn't given a fair crack of the whip at Barcelona and was thrown into the deep end vs Levante. I've always said it's unfair to judge him for that game and stand by it.

I personally would prefer to see him stay instead of Vermaelan, who is a very good defender, but spends too much time on the sidelines. I like the lad and think he deserves a season to prove if he can cut it or not.

It could be a positive signing for Everton in all honesty and with him playing more it'll help him grow in confidence. He is also a great character and one who will certainly light up the dressing room. The problem is, Colombians very rarely seem to adapt well to living in England, they don't seem to enjoy it and for me this could be a bigger worry than his actual ability.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I think he's decent on the ball but it's an area he can(and probably will) improve on, he's an absolute beast in terms of his aerial ability but was exposed for his defensive abilities against Levante. I wouldn't say this was just off a World Cup though as he was shining a lot out in Brazil for Palmeiras and looks the business for Colombia. He wasn't given a fair crack of the whip at Barcelona and was thrown into the deep end vs Levante. I've always said it's unfair to judge him for that game and stand by it.

I personally would prefer to see him stay instead of Vermaelan, who is a very good defender, but spends too much time on the sidelines. I like the lad and think he deserves a season to prove if he can cut it or not.

It could be a positive signing for Everton in all honesty and with him playing more it'll help him grow in confidence. He is also a great character and one who will certainly light up the dressing room. The problem is, Colombians very rarely seem to adapt well to living in England, they don't seem to enjoy it and for me this could be a bigger worry than his actual ability.

Davinson Sanchez seems just fine!

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Yeah but it seems rare mate.

Then again, Mina is the type of character who doesn't let much phase him. He should do well at most clubs where he will get minutes. I rate him.

Mina did say in a recent interview that it isn’t easy at Barcelona and that it was very different to what he was used to. I can only assume it had a lot to do with what the club require from their defenders in terms of coming out playing and being quick to recover. Even Piqué gets it wrong at times and in truth it isn’t easy. 

• The title was changed to Yerry Mina - To Move to Everton or Man Utd?

Archived