talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Final - Sunday 15th July - France 4-2 Croatia (France win World Cup 2018)

football forum

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I don't like it, it was a deserved win for France. Croatia, despite their strong entry in the match, created little danger in the entire game. France kept them where they wanted.

The penalty is a clear call for me. It's nice not to see a decision like that, in such an important game,going against the underdog, but Perisic moves his hand to block the ball. 

Subasic looked poor in France's third and fourth goal. Should have done much more.  

It was an anti-climatic final for me. Ended up being the expected outcome, no suspense, no drama. At least this was a great WC. 

Feel extremely sorry for Croatia, I don't care about the underdog crap but for me they played the best football in the tournament and the game turned on an incorrect decision. They were the more composed, better passing side throughout the game and I felt were superior in terms of talent.

That penalty decision will go down alongside the Geoff Hurst goal, clearly the incorrect decision was made in my view but seemingly there are millions out there who disagree. Bit like Brexit, some people are wankers. 

Having said that, France were superb second half, albeit with the comfort of the advantage and Mbappe's finish was brilliant. France, despite a lot of talent, are nothing to behold like the previous two champions have been, I suppose that's the compromise you make for an exciting tournament. Modric player of the tournament by an absolute mile. I love France and their history but the pissing rain couldn't have been anymore fitting for their celebrations.

Raining are the tears of fans expecting more from this game.

As some said earlier the var decision was the turning point.  

France offered no real chances in first half and yet were up 2:1.  Good fortune and fortunate refereeing did it.  

I was hoping to see France show their flare but I'm still waiting. 

Second half Croatia had to press more and France took advantage.

Ref probably went to the same ref school as the one in the Madrid v juventus game last season.  

I'm not saying this just because of France's mild luck with the calls today or their style of play, but I really am feeling a bit disenchanted with knockout football. 

It feels like the luck doesn't go towards underdogs anymore, or contribute to any shocks, instead it seems to go towards the major players and dominant sides and bail them out of otherwise uninspiring showings.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Are you serious? For starters his locker room cancer, and for seconds he isn’t a target man. Thirds he is even worse at scoring than Giroud and thinks he is a playmaker as well

Agree. Giroud was a necessary evil on this team. Technically, he is not as good his teammates but his work upfront, battling the central defenders made things easier for Griezmann and Mbappé. Without him on the team, France really struggled against Australia. 

Perhaps France would´ve been easier on the eye with a guy like Lemar or Fekir completing the midfield instead of Matuidi, but what France really needed was to win this tournament the Euro final behind them. 

In the end, Deschamps pushed the right buttons, especially off the pitch, he built a solid team with the desire to win. The Juventus tree of coaches dominated football this season, with Zidane and Deschamps winning the big titles. Lippi must be proud.

Also, it´s curious how football is. I think Kanté was excellent throught the World Cup and he´d be part of my World Cup XI but today he had a bad match and putting NZonzi in his place ultimately decided the match in favor of the french.  

The idea of having a fluid front three of Dembele-Griezmann- Mbappe is absolute boner material, but with Deschamps dire coaching there's no way it's going to click in practice.

Having someone like Giroud who holds his position and occupies the backline as much as he can was the best way for France to get their game working on the break. 

13 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The idea of having a fluid front three of Dembele-Griezmann- Mbappe is absolute boner material, but with Deschamps dire coaching there's no way it's going to click in practice.

Having someone like Giroud who holds his position and occupies the backline as much as he can was the best way for France to get their game working on the break. 

Deschamps is an amazing coach. He isn’t pretty but France can’t afford that, before Deschamps they had absolutely no control of egos, no discipline, Laurent Blanc’s National jingoism,  Domenech’s bizarre reality, and about every controversy under the sun. Coaching isn’t just about playing pretty football, it’s media control (Deschamps is a master), balance of youth and veterans, and clear principals, balancing risk and safety. Deschamps has exceeded in every single department bar ‘pretty football’.

people gave him shot for decisions like Hernandez and Pavard playing as backs but look at that result.

19 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Not to get all #HYPE but Mbappe, Kylian fucking Mbappe. 

Everyone wondered who would take the Messi/Ronaldo crown, we have our answer. 

He's actually taken the James Rodriguez crown...

Archived