talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Third Place Playoff - Sunday 14th July - Belgium 2-0 England

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 6666 said:

I'm talking about the whole tournament rather than just this one specific game (we're actually playing really well in this 2nd half). I've also never claimed Arsenal were brilliant when they weren't, I've also not pretended everything was a disaster just like I'm not doing now. I stay consistent in not getting lost in emotion. :coffee:

You must be a great shag.

• Subscriber

Predictable. We can talk about tactics and Southgate and whether we rely too much on set pieces but England don't have a player anywhere near the quality of Hazard or De Bruyne and we need to look now at developing that talent.

I mean this lot have Martinez as manager and we can't touch them. They just have much better players.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Predictable. We can talk about tactics and Southgate and whether we rely too much on set pieces but England don't have a player anywhere near the quality of Hazard or De Bruyne and we need to look now at developing that talent.

I mean this lot have Martinez as manager and we can't touch them. They just have much better players.

I agree. This England side is full of good players and have one great player in Kane. Belgium have a lot of great players and a few good ones to fill out the rest of the squad... which is great for them and the gulf in class between them and us is big. We need more quality developed in England to turn the corner internationally.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree. This England side is full of good players and have one great player in Kane. Belgium have a lot of great players and a few good ones to fill out the rest of the squad... which is great for them and the gulf in class between them and us is big. We need more quality developed in England to turn the corner internationally.

Is Kane really great though? Winning the Golden Boot is not easy, but he does it without scoring in the big games, and in the first World Cup where VAR was used and thus had a lot more PK opportunities. 

• The title was changed to Third Place Playoff - Sunday 14th July - Belgium 2-0 England
  • Administrator

better team got 3rd place.

We had a hell of a lot of the ball but Belgium seemed to want it more from defence through to attack. Not sure why Kane stayed on all game when he was totally ineffective for most of it.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Is Kane really great though? Winning the Golden Boot is not easy, but he does it without scoring in the big games, and in the first World Cup where VAR was used and thus had a lot more PK opportunities. 

The Golden Boot is usually won by the player lucky enough to be in a good team who gets to face Saudi Arabia in the Group Stage to be fair. This time it was Panama instead. He has had an underwhelming knockout phase and yeah half of his goals were penalties, one was an accident, one tap in and one header but they all count and in two week's time nobody will care how they went in, the history books will tell the same story.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

The Golden Boot is usually won by the player lucky enough to be in a good team who gets to face Saudi Arabia in the Group Stage to be fair. This time it was Panama instead. He has had an underwhelming knockout phase and yeah half of his goals were penalties, one was an accident, one tap in and one header but they all count and in two week's time nobody will care how they went in, the history books will tell the same story.

No argument, but I was just asking, is Kane really considered a 'great' player? 

Just now, Eco said:

Yeah Kane is great, this World Cup hasn’t been the best for demonstrating his qualities because he’s either been isolated and trying to do it all himself, like in the group stages. Or he’s been dropping too deep because the only way for us to stretch sides was his/Henderson’s passing to Sterling. He looked knackered and maybe even carrying a knock in our last 2 matches.

It’s a team game, and I think our non-Kane players... and really all midfielders except Henderson didn’t really play all that well. And I think that hurt how Kane performed (and obviously how England performed). Lingard, Sterling, Rashford, Dele Alli all put in pretty pedestrian performances, average at the best of times and worse than average at the worst of times. Kane’s best service came from Trippier who was in our impressive backline. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

No argument, but I was just asking, is Kane really considered a 'great' player? 

Yes I think so. Three consecutive seasons (?) as top goalscorer in the Premier League which is one of the best leagues in the world. Not like he plays for a team that can turn up hungover and still win 5-0 90% of the time like Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus, Bayern either.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Yes I think so. Three consecutive seasons (?) as top goalscorer in the Premier League which is one of the best leagues in the world. Not like he plays for a team that can turn up hungover and still win 5-0 90% of the time like Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus, Bayern either.

Yes, you are probably right. I think I have a biased against all poachers. Granted what they do it great, but in terms of creating, usually they aren't no where near great. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yes, you are probably right. I think I have a biased against all poachers. Granted what they do it great, but in terms of creating, usually they aren't no where near great. 

I think Gary linekar might disagree with you

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is Phil foden gonna be world  class @Happy Blue

How about solanki @Dr. Gonzo @LFCMadLad @LFCMike and then rest?

Solanke’s definitely got some quality about him. BUT he’s so raw. As an Arsenal fan who’s seen lots of promising young players, you know how hard it can be to tell how good a player is when they are that raw.

I think he needs a loan move and some regular first team football. He’s got a good work rate, a lovely first touch, and has made some nice passes. He’s also got pretty poor decision making and sometimes uses his workrate in ways that aren’t helpful - which I think comes from trying to do too much.

I hope he’ll be ready in 4 years to impress at a World Cup... but I have no clue if he will make the grade or not.

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Pippo Inzaghi is disgusted by this post and I am too.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Solanke’s definitely got some quality about him. BUT he’s so raw. As an Arsenal fan who’s seen lots of promising young players, you know how hard it can be to tell how good a player is when they are that raw.

I think he needs a loan move and some regular first team football. He’s got a good work rate, a lovely first touch, and has made some nice passes. He’s also got pretty poor decision making and sometimes uses his workrate in ways that aren’t helpful - which I think comes from trying to do too much.

I hope he’ll be ready in 4 years to impress at a World Cup... but I have no clue if he will make the grade or not.

I just wanna see us win it. That's the problem with the word cup you have to wait another 4 years. :(

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know mate :( hopefully before we die we’ll see it come home.

Yeah but I'd rather not see it for the first time when I've got dementia. I'd rather see it in Qatar and then see it over and over again when I get dementia 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived