talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Third Place Playoff - Sunday 14th July - Belgium 2-0 England

On 12/07/2018 at 07:46, DeadLinesman said:

The most pointless game in the history of any sport?

At least in this England vs Belgium game they won’t both be intentionally trying to lose....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/07/2018 at 09:23, Dr. Gonzo said:

Legitimately don't give a fuck about this game. Play the fucking kids for all I care, or just fly home now and start your holidays early lads. Take a fucking forfeit and a fine from FIFA because we won't play in their glorified friendly, whatever. No real fucking loss. No point in players risking injury for a pointless match.

Why do you guys not care? I get that you rue the missed opportunity to be in the final, but in an Olympic context this would be the bronze medal playoff. Maybe FIFA should develop a silver and a bronze cup so there is ore of the spoils to be shared, and something to be played for in the playoff for third....?

On 12/07/2018 at 10:09, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's a bit fucking weird we're playing them twice in this World Cup and they're both 2 of the most pointless matches of the tournament.

Which is more pointless of a match:

A) A match in which neither side cares who wins, or

B) A match in which both teams would actively prefer to lose

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Why do you guys not care? I get that you rue the missed opportunity to be in the final, but in an Olympic context this would be the bronze medal playoff. Maybe FIFA should develop a silver and a bronze cup so there is ore of the spoils to be shared, and something to be played for in the playoff for third....?

Nah FIFA should just let them go home. This isn’t the olympics.

The way Sterling was told to play in the team is basically how Welbeck already plays except he also powers through with his strength and his bambi on ice style can mean the ball bouncing off his arse and going in. Obviously Sterling is a much more gifted player but the role he was asked to play for England really isn't his natural game. 16 goals in 40 while never playing as a striker is also a very good record. 

• Subscriber

Sounds like Southgate is going to go for the win tomorrow. I know it means fuck all but it would still be nice to win and go home as third place.

Golden Boot at stake tomorrow for Kane and Lukaku as well.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

In the Olympics a bronze medal means a lot so i want to win it 

12 hours ago, The Käiser said:

Rather go out of the competition with 2 losses in a row? Or on a more of a high with a win and collecting a spoon for the trophy case

I guess the debate as to whether this game is meaningful depends on whether you view the World Cup as something like the Olympics - each medal won, even if it's not a first place medal, is something valued. Whereas to me, and clearly a few others, we don't view the World Cup like the Olympics or anything - winning 3rd place to me is just a pointless reiteration of the fact that we didn't win the World Cup. 3rd place or 4th place... doesn't matter to me - neither team made it to the final. I was going to say it's more of a contest to determine who's the best loser... but that's not even true. Whoever loses the final is the best loser.

• Administrator

Sterling's shit today. Lost the ball 3 times trying to take someone on instead of passing or dallying on the ball. The 1-2 with Delph was on just then could have given us a good opportunity.

• The title was changed to Third Place Playoff - Sunday 14th July - Belgium 2-0 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived