talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will England build on the World Cup?

The big question now is will England build on the world cup? When we reached the semi final in 1990 nothing really happened after. We were terrible in euro 1992 and didn't qualify in 1994. But I think that was an old team where as this team is young. We have won 3 youth tournaments we have St Georges park so will England build on the world cup or will it go back to same old England?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England has great players coming.. you guys won the U17 and U20 world cups too in the last year or two... I would definitely expect England to win something by atleast 2024 Euros by which the majority of the current players would be well experienced... 

Next Euro's expectation will be high. Pressure back on. We need our best players winning trophies in the meantime, Croatia had Champions League and big game winning experience. We are lacking that but we did have the youngest side at the tournament if I remember a commentary fact correctly.

9 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Next Euro's expectation will be high. Pressure back on. We need our best players winning trophies in the meantime, Croatia had Champions League and big game winning experience. We are lacking that but we did have the youngest side at the tournament if I remember a commentary fact correctly.

Hopefully the attendances will go up again. I'm already booking my ticket for the Spain game at Wembley. Wembley use to be near full capacity for friendlies but recently it has only been about 70000 for competitive games 

if they keep Southgate as manager and keep the core of this edition together for sure they will do great in the Euros.   Maybe this disappointment for not reaching the finals, the so-close-yet-so-far cliche will give them much motivation to finally lift a trophy for the nation.

• Subscriber

Southgate stays for sure and I like what I've seen from him so far. He isn't immaculate but he's done as well as we realistically thought he could.

People who think we're going to win the Euros need to get a bit of realism though. It's a fucking hard competition. People need to be realistic about what we've just witnessed - a very good effort, but one where fortune has favoured us. We will not see the likes of Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Holland so poor again I don't think.

It is totally plausible we build on this competition without ever bettering the finish.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Southgate stays for sure and I like what I've seen from him so far. He isn't immaculate but he's done as well as we realistically thought he could.

People who think we're going to win the Euros need to get a bit of realism though. It's a fucking hard competition. People need to be realistic about what we've just witnessed - a very good effort, but one where fortune has favoured us. We will not see the likes of Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Holland so poor again I don't think.

It is totally plausible we build on this competition without ever bettering the finish.

True. But if we're go get to the semi final at wembley we would have a good shot.

I really rate Croatia, there's no disgrace against going out to them but I still think England are yet to take a decent scalp in an international tournament. Once that's off the list I think it will hasten any trophy success. 

As I said in the other thread, let's be demanding from England, I get that this has been a pleasant experience for most people but ultimately we want to see England win stuff. There is an evolution in process, the players will improve and hopefully we can add a few better ones in there, but Southgate has to adapt too, to have a plan if the opposition start to take control. I really hope they build, but as a deeply cynical, twisted and miserable bastard, I think Euro 2020 might be crushingly disappointing.

Depends what you mean. If you're looking at it as "We made the World Cup semi-finals, will we go further in the Euros" then I think you're asking too much as you're not looking at our World Cup performance in context.

We've progressed from how we've done in previous tournaments but it's progression from messing up in tournaments to not messing up in a tournament rather than us having done anything really impressive. We've not messed up but we haven't done anything out of the ordinary. It's an improvement but you can't expect the comfortable draw we had in this World Cup to occur all the time.

It's a step forward but tactically we need to be a lot better in the future against good teams and talent wise we need a lot more from our midfield.

Perhaps a step too far for England, making the expectations too high in the future. If people remain conservatively supportive and don't eat the young team alive, I think England will keep improving. But the moment the hammer of the media comes down on the Three Lions, is when they start regressing from pressure.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Spike said:

Perhaps a step too far for England, making the expectations too high in the future. If people remain conservatively supportive and don't eat the young team alive, I think England will keep improving. But the moment the hammer of the media comes down on the Three Lions, is when they start regressing from pressure.

i agree.

Southgate did wonders keeping the spirits high in the camp before and during the tournament and almost kept the media at bay for the most part. I hope he'll be able to do the same for 2020 too.

• Subscriber

if this English side stay together and more importantly add key players in places like their attacking midfielders and someone who can actually dictate the game they'll start to improve. I think it was said above that they need to beat a big team to figure out where their deficiencies lie and plug them. Think we will see this team do well at the Euros as well but not win it. What is more important than all of this is that Southgate stays at the helm here because I think its his man-management that has led to this success not his tactical aptitude.

As mentioned, the pressure is back on now, even going into the next tournament, the UEFA Nations League. Spain and Croatia home and away will be tests and I’m sure there will be pressure to do well in that. 

The qualifications for the Euros will be a doddle barring someone like Italy and Holland being a second seed and us getting the misfortune of drawing them. Though in all honesty, I’m not 100% sure on the format of the qualifiers now. 

As for the next Euros in 2020, it goes without saying that we’ll not see some of the players who’ve been in this World Cup squad. Kyle Walker (28), Danny Rose (28), Gary Cahill (32), Ashley Young (34), Jordan Henderson (28), Fabian Delph (28) and Jamie Vardy (31) were the elder statesmen for England at this tournament and we’ll not see all of them there in 2020 through retirement or the development of younger players. There’s very little point discussing who might make it in two years time as invariably, people just look silly predicting that some eighteen year-old will be at the next major tournament only for them to actually be at Mansfield Town in a couple of years. 

As for the Euros itself, again, it’s pointless discussing how we’ll do as much will change in two years time but there will definitely be a weight of expectation on the shoulders of England players. 

Archived