talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Where Do You Need To Strengthen In The Summer?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could probably do with a stronger keeper. A natural LB is an absolute must to give competition/rest to Milner. A new CB is also important to forge a partnership with Matip plus improve depth. A DM/Destroyer type midfielder is needed to rotate with/challenge Hendo & Can. A CF that can get 20-30 goals a season would be nice and some depth in the LWF & RWF positions is a must as currently we hardly have anyone. 

So yes, Klopp has plenty of work to do this summer as we have so many holes in the squad that need filling. Squad depth is our main issue though which has become more evident as the seasons gone on and injuries rack up. 

Let's just hope the owners back him with the required funds. 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

How have we failed to hit our targets?

League campaign has been good so far but failing to qualify from a pretty poor group in the champions league must have been very disappointing for the manager/owners. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

League campaign has been good so far but failing to qualify from a pretty poor group in the champions league must have been very disappointing for the manager/owners. 

Disappointing but in the FA Cup Semi and 2nd in the league - we are exceeding expectations currently. Certainly are not missing targets

Keeper - Joel has done well since coming in for Stekelenburg (9 clean sheets in 15 games) but I still want a long term solution. 

Centre half - Or two. Jagielka is done for a top half team, Mori is useless, Williams is 33 this summer and not the best either. Holgate will be playing more regularly there but he needs a partner. There's Galloway to come back but unsure whether Koeman likes him. 

Right back - Coleman out for ages and the backup is only Gethin Jones and Jonjoe Kenny. Hard to tell if they would be able to make the step up but I like the look of Kenny. 

Left back - Unsure on cover or not. Of course there's better than Baines out there but it'll be hard to not see him on our left. 

Midfielder - a creative one to take the burden off Barkley all the time. Maybe another if we sell Ross because of contract situation. 

Forward - Number depends on Lukaku. If he stays we need someone with him. Valencia not good enough and Calvert Lewin still learning. If he leaves then a goalscorer is a must. 

Just now, Storts said:

Disappointing but in the FA Cup Semi and 2nd in the league - we are exceeding expectations currently. Certainly are not missing targets

No I agree. Domestically you've been pretty much bang on if not punching above your weight. 

We'll be Premier League next season, the Conference Premier or whatever the sponsors want to call it next year. 

No exaggeration here at all but a new chairman, an experienced manager at Conference level and a whole new playing squad made up of experienced lower league/Conference standard players. 

However, if Francesco Becchetti remains at Orient, I don't really care. We won't stay up in the Conference if the cancerous man child sticks around. 

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

We'll be Premier League next season, the Conference Premier or whatever the sponsors want to call it next year. 

No exaggeration here at all but a new chairman, an experienced manager at Conference level and a whole new playing squad made up of experienced lower league/Conference standard players. 

However, if Francesco Becchetti remains at Orient, I don't really care. We won't stay up in the Conference if the cancerous man child sticks around. 

Premier League section :ph34r:

No European football has benefited us massively. Going to need improvements to compete on both fronts. 

Alonso and Moses are good at what they do, but they each have blatant flaws that could be upgraded on. Plus we need depth in the WB areas. 

An upgrade on a CM to partner Kante is a must. 

A replacement for Costa if he does leave. 

Upgrade on RW if we are feeling a bit ambitious. 

Call back Christensen, Baker, and Abraham. 

24 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Keeper, right back, left back, centre back, centre mid, attacking mid/wide player. Maybe a striker.

We need a new right back? What's wrong with Clyne? He's the most solid fullback we've had that plays regularly since Steve Finnan.

Change the medical team more than anything. New manager and New 10 players for Arsenal. Just keep Sanchez. 

On a more serious note, a new manager is definitely needed, I was in wenger In brigade until the last two years but the time has come for him now IMO.

Players wise, need to send out Ramsey, Walcott, Ozil, one of Lucas Perez and Giroud.

Need replacements for Cech, Monreal and Cazorla, nothing wrong with them but they are not getting younger anymore and are in their 30s. I would give Xhaka one more season and if he doesnt pick up then replace him too. Buy a good striker and one good attacking midfielder.

Wings are decent with Sanchez and Welbeck.

• Administrator

We may have a totally different and new-look team next season. Can see Mahrez, Slimani, Drinkwater and maybe Kasper leaving if the right offers come in. They may all want Champions League football again unless they get offered silly money by us again.

Regardless, our regular starting defenders are becoming OAPs so we definitely need some new blood there. Chilwell is seen as the natural replacement for Fuchs but there's no-one else coming through for RB or CB.

I expect we will be in for a number 2 keeper. Dont have any suggestions other it will probably be someone who counts as a home grown.

Could talk about all our loan players and who would return, but this isnt the place for that.

Up front one would think there will be replacement for Costa. I would like to see 2 new forwards brought it who compete against each other and one of them should not be Abraham. He isnt ready to lead our line.

Plenty of other titbits could improve the team and it will be exciting to see how the club tackle improving what has been the clear cut best side this season. In seasons gone by when we have been fortunate to be in this position the club have failed to upgrade. I hope the club have learnt from these past mistakes.

We shall see.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We need a new right back? What's wrong with Clyne? He's the most solid fullback we've had that plays regularly since Steve Finnan.

Think Clyne's average myself. He's very good one on one. He gets caught out a lot at the back post though and he offers next to nothing in the final third. I think having two full backs on either side who are better than what we have would help against sides who come to park the bus at Anfield.

• Subscriber

Ours is very hard to say when a lot of it will depend on who leaves, but I do think we need to look at the defence. We're looking more organised again of late (although we're still not keeping the goals out) but this is an ageing and limited defence and I definitely think we need to spend a bit on it. I'd love us to sign one of Gibson or Maguire, possibly even both.

A right back as well I think we need, one who is better going forward, although not one who can't defend. Hard to think of anyone in-particular. Possibly Trippier?

An upgrade on Okazaki as well maybe. He does play an important role but he doesn't really produce enough for an attacking player.

We need to flush out the deadwood expensive players like Shaqiri and Imbula. Either that or we need to get Hughes out and see if we can get these expensive players to work. AND WHY THE HELL IS BOJAN NOT ON OUR SQUAD.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Think Clyne's average myself. He's very good one on one. He gets caught out a lot at the back post though and he offers next to nothing in the final third. I think having two full backs on either side who are better than what we have would help against sides who come to park the bus at Anfield.

It's been said that Klopp is already preparing TAA for a much more active role next season to properly compete with Clyne. High hopes for the youngster who has looked excellent when called upon already this season. Either way, RB isn't a position we need to be worrying about as we have much more pressing issues within the squad. 

50 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's been said that Klopp is already preparing TAA for a much more active role next season to properly compete with Clyne. High hopes for the youngster who has looked excellent when called upon already this season. Either way, RB isn't a position we need to be worrying about as we have much more pressing issues within the squad. 

It's a position we need to be worrying about if we don't want to accept mediocrity. Clyne's just dead fast which is why he's good in one on one situations. Technically he's not good enough. If we're going into the Champions League, which we hope we will be, then he needs improving on. Alexander-Arnold is still too young to be putting so much pressure on

31 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's a position we need to be worrying about if we don't want to accept mediocrity. Clyne's just dead fast which is why he's good in one on one situations. Technically he's not good enough. If we're going into the Champions League, which we hope we will be, then he needs improving on. Alexander-Arnold is still too young to be putting so much pressure on

Totally disagree. In my opinion Clyne is absolutely fine. 

Archived