talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Health and Fitness

football forum

I have a takeaway once a week. 

I've lost just under a stone and a half since the start of the year. I'm not the most active, walking the dog is as much as I do. I've been using myfitnesspal to log food and it gives you a calorie deficit. Takes a bit of getting used to, weighing everything out and logging it but it's worked for me. I'd have lost more by now but always have a set back if we've been the pub at the weekend. I'll eat shite when I'm pissed and then again the next day if I'm hungoverxD

I rarely eat takeaway, but I think it has more to do with my IBS than weight. I have never had weight issues with my running routine, but really, my IBS has gotten so bad I'm slowly becoming pescatarian, where you eat only vegetables and fish. 

Usually so many things have almost crippled me for hours that eating fast food feels like I'm killing myself. 

Run 1 done 3.2km which is 2 miles. This is the starting point on which to build.

Be a lie if I said I enjoyed this run, I doubt I will like a run for a few weeks yet but these early runs are vital in the progression.

Screenshot_20210905-174046_Samsung Health.jpg

Edited by Devil
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

Run 1 done 3.2km which is 2 miles. This is the starting point on which to build.

Be a lie if I said I enjoyed this run, I doubt I will like a run for a few weeks yet but these early runs are vital in the progression.

Screenshot_20210905-174046_Samsung Health.jpg

If you are starting to get into running, feel free to PM me. I use to be a certified running coach with USATF, and might can help if you want. 

I am a serious runner myself, although since COVID...no wait, since having a child, my weekly miles has gone down significantly. 

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

If you are starting to get into running, feel free to PM me. I use to be a certified running coach with USATF, and might can help if you want. 

I am a serious runner myself, although since COVID...no wait, since having a child, my weekly miles has gone down significantly. 

Cheers mate, I'm more about getting my health and wellbeing back if I'm honest. I've been a slob over the last four months so I just want to get myself back into my running. I'm never going to be a marathon runner but I would comfortably churn out 10k runs in the past.

I don't like using scales because you can become obsessed with them, I have certain Polo tops that I know I have to be in shape to wear. I will know I'm happy with myself again when I can happily go out in one of them. 😂

Edited by Devil
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Devil said:

Cheers mate, I'm more about getting my health and wellbeing back if I'm honest. I've been a slob over the last four months so I just want to get myself back into my running. I'm never going to be a marathon runner but I would comfortably churn out 10k runs in the past.

I don't like using scales because you can become obsessed with them, I have certain Polo tops that I know I have to be in shape to wear. I will know I'm happy with myself again when I can happily go out in one of them. 😂

yeah man, no worries. If you end up with any questions or (god forbid) an injury, feel free to reach out and I can try and help out. 

I think you're spot on with scales. They are pointless unless your a boxer trying to qualify for a certain weight class. 

I'm 6'1", and 175lbs. Now that could mean that I'm slim and in shape, or not in shape whatsoever. 

We done own a scale anymore, so I'm guessing weight, but you get the point. Just know where you want to be fitness wise, and then do it. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

yeah man, no worries. If you end up with any questions or (god forbid) an injury, feel free to reach out and I can try and help out. 

I think you're spot on with scales. They are pointless unless your a boxer trying to qualify for a certain weight class. 

I'm 6'1", and 175lbs. Now that could mean that I'm slim and in shape, or not in shape whatsoever. 

We done own a scale anymore, so I'm guessing weight, but you get the point. Just know where you want to be fitness wise, and then do it. 

I stopped using scales 20 years ago. People used to slate me for it. I just look in the mirror naked, this is the best indication of the shape you're in. BMI is quite stupid, it can have people overweight. Even so a lot of the weight is lean muscle. The person can have low bodyfat, more lean muscle which weighs more then fat, yet according to BMI be overweight. It's an outdated process in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

when is the last time any of you did the bleep test? I've done it for around 15 years. Can't remember what I got but I used to do it once per week for a few years. I always did the 20 meter test, never did the 15.

2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

when is the last time any of you did the bleep test? I've done it for around 15 years. Can't remember what I got but I used to do it once per week for a few years. I always did the 20 meter test, never did the 15.

What is a bleep test? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah I see. I had to look it up as I haven't heard of this either. 

In the UK it used to be done in schools in my day. But it's also used by footballers here and other sports.

Is a real test of fitness. As you go up levels and get more tired. Beeps become more frequent, is a real toughie. 

3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

In the UK it used to be done in schools in my day. But it's also used by footballers here and other sports.

Is a real test of fitness. As you go up levels and get more tired. Beeps become more frequent, is a real toughie. 

Yeah - sounds like torture. haha

Back in my track days, we used to have. workout where was ran a lap in 70 seconds. 10 second break, then again but then in 65 seconds, and on and on until you failed. I thought it was hell on earth. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah - sounds like torture. haha

Back in my track days, we used to have. workout where was ran a lap in 70 seconds. 10 second break, then again but then in 65 seconds, and on and on until you failed. I thought it was hell on earth. 

That sounds like hell lol.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MUFC said:

That sounds like hell lol.

Never could get serious about track. I did cross country (5k through the woods) here for years before moving onto Marathons and then ultra marathons. 

Give me a 100m race before doing that damn track workout again. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Never could get serious about track. I did cross country (5k through the woods) here for years before moving onto Marathons and then ultra marathons. 

I was a brilliant runner in school and I always represented the school at various cross country events.

We also used to do a competition each term which was called the run walk test, basically it was the 1500 meters around the local streets near the school. It was called the run walk because you could walk if you were a lazy or race if you were that way inclined. Obviously all the lads would get incredibly competitive in the build up each term but it then became even more competitive as everyone wanted to beat me because I'd win it every time.

I'd basically perfected the distance and I had a point I'd kick on every time and create a gap they just couldn't close. Every now and then I'd change the kicking point to confuse them but throughout the whole five years I never lost.

Mr Wright then approached me to take up the distance in the local school games which I also went on to win as well. At this point I was asked to come down to Sale Harriers to take it up properly but I just wasn't interested and told them I just wanted to play football at weekends. I can remember Mr Wright pushing and pushing me to go but I just basically had no interest at all. I recently bumped into him in our local Supermarket and he told me at the time he was desperate for me to go down to train as he had never seen a kid take to a certain distance as well as I had done the 1500m and I'd been the talk of all the Schools PE teachers at the local school games.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Devil said:

Good for you, sounds like your in a good place mentally and physically at the moment.

My situation is basically unusual for me, I've always been into the gym and generally staying fit and healthy. I'd say this is the first period of my life where I've let myself go a bit and lost that hunger to get out and exercise.

If I'm totally honest it was my Mum of all people who opened my eyes to it the other day. She's always known I keep fit by either playing football or running etc.. she asked me if I was doing anything anymore which lead me to ask her why she would ask. Her reply wasnt nasty or cruel just she was concerned she'd noticed I'd gained a few pounds and it was unlike me.

So like yourself I'm gonna get back on it today, I'm not gonna go into it thinking I can do the same distances as I've done previously or the same times per mile. I'm just gonna build slowly and try and enjoy it more than anything.

First things first though, I need a new Spotify play list!

Good for you man. Whatever your motivation is, use it as fuel and keep going and bettering yourself.

For the playlist. My main song is Eminem - Till I Collapse. Good starting point there ;) 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Eco said:

You’ve done marathons? That’s amazing mate. 

My aim is to keep slowly progressing to get to a marathon. Long way off though. Would have done it with ease in my teens. I used to represent not only my school but my county in cross country races.

Edited by JoshBRFC

2 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

You’ve done marathons? That’s amazing mate. 

My aim is to keep slowly progressing to get to a marathon. Long way off though. Would have done it with ease in my teens. I used to represent not only my school but my county in cross country races.

Yeah man! 

I have done maybe 20 or so marathons. 

I have also done:

1 - 50km
2 - 50m races
1 - 100km race
10ish - 100m races

My goal is to do the Vol State 500, which is 500km across the state of Tennessee, and then do Moab 240, which is 240 miles around Moab, Utah. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I plan on signing up this week for the Great Southern Endurance Run which is a 100km race starting on top of Kennesaw Mountain, running through Atlanta, and then ending on Stone Mountain. Unlike most ultras, this one is NOT mostly dirt and trails, but will be mostly asphalt. 

The cool thing is that my oldest sister lives right near Kennesaw Mountain, and my Dad lives in Stone Mountain, so that'll be nice to have family and friends at the start and the finish. 

Race is April 30, 2022. 

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just added another race to my 2022 Calendar, and thinking of pulling the trigger on another one. 

The one I just signed up for in in the desert in Las Vegas, and it's just a marathon. The race is in January so the heat won't be terrible but I've heard that this is a beautiful and small race so I'm looking forward to it. 

Now, onto the race that I'm on the fence about. It's a famous Ultra called the QMT (Québec Mega Trail), and it's a 100m race in July outside of Montreal. Here is a couple of videos of this race, and it looks absolutely stunning. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1