talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Health and Fitness

football forum

9 hours ago, Eco said:

Had a busy running schedule lined up this year, but said my 50k in early January ended with me suffering from 'runners knee', which just means I had to rest for a few weeks.

Problem is that I had to then skip a 11.5m race weeks after, and now tomorrow I have the Atlanta Publix Marathon, and I have been able to run roughly 10 miles since my 50km pain free...so this should be interesting.

I feel like a hero when I go for a run that's over 5 or 6ks. You're a machine. 

A Belgian friend of mine rode his bicycle up and down a local mountain until he hit 9800 meters of elevation, the equivalent of Mt Everest. Took about 13.5 hours of riding time and 15 hours overall. Absolute madman.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

12 hours ago, Tommy said:

You got this! 💪

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I feel like a hero when I go for a run that's over 5 or 6ks. You're a machine. 

A Belgian friend of mine rode his bicycle up and down a local mountain until he hit 9800 meters of elevation, the equivalent of Mt Everest. Took about 13.5 hours of riding time and 15 hours overall. Absolute madman.

It was brutal...brutal.

I've done this marathon 4-5 times, and usually either get 4 hours on a bad day, or 3:45 on a solid day.

Today it took me 5 hours and 30 minutes. I had terrible stomach pain early on, and then once I got under control, my knee started to act up, then the other one did, and I guess by the time I got the knees feeling decent, I had altered my running form so much to accommodate, that my hips, thighs, and glutes are completely shocked.

I can't remember a time in running I felt so bad and embarrassed, as my wife and daughter were waiting for me, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

I might just be in the 'heat' of it, but it was so bad, I'm not sure I can run another marathon or longer at this age with all my hobbies, family, and work.

• Sad 2

Oh, and to make it worse, I appear to have caught my daughter's pink eye, which started to effect my about mile 13.

And also I decided to reach out to a therapist, as when I was filing today, my mind went to some dark places in my mind, and really did fuck with me.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eco said:

And also I decided to reach out to a therapist, as when I was filing today, my mind went to some dark places in my mind, and really did fuck with me.

Fuck the Marathon, to be honest, in the great scheme of things. I hope you will feel better soon! And don't forget, even though this is just a silly forum, we are always here for you if you need to vent or talk about stuff. All the best! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Fuck the Marathon, to be honest, in the great scheme of things. I hope you will feel better soon! And don't forget, even though this is just a silly forum, we are always here for you if you need to vent or talk about stuff. All the best! 

Yeah - it's just something I've always done, and done well at. I was never trying to make the Olympics or anything, but I was certainly top 30% of runners in my age group.

Today was different. I couldn't focus, couldn't find my grove, and my mind just went to all the places and areas in my life in which I have failed myself, people I've hurt, and terrible mistakes I've made. Running usually brings me immense joy and I can usually solve problems, so have great ideas when I'm out there just running, but today was fucking dark, and it got to me big time.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah - it's just something I've always done, and done well at. I was never trying to make the Olympics or anything, but I was certainly top 30% of runners in my age group.

Today was different. I couldn't focus, couldn't find my grove, and my mind just went to all the places and areas in my life in which I have failed myself, people I've hurt, and terrible mistakes I've made. Running usually brings me immense joy and I can usually solve problems, so have great ideas when I'm out there just running, but today was fucking dark, and it got to me big time.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( And yea, it sounds like your head was not in the right place. And it sounds like you were really hard on yourself. You can't change the past, unless you invent a time machine. So all you can do is be the best version of yourself in the present and the future. I myself have a lot of regrets as well and things I could have done better in the past, but as I said, I don't have a time machine. All I can do is learn from it, and try to do things better now. I'm sure you'll go back to enjoy running once your head is in a better place again. Reaching out to a therapist was the best thing you could do. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm sorry to hear that. :( And yea, it sounds like your head was not in the right place. And it sounds like you were really hard on yourself. You can't change the past, unless you invent a time machine. So all you can do is be the best version of yourself in the present and the future. I myself have a lot of regrets as well and things I could have done better in the past, but as I said, I don't have a time machine. All I can do is learn from it, and try to do things better now. I'm sure you'll go back to enjoy running once your head is in a better place again. Reaching out to a therapist was the best thing you could do. 

And this is why I love you as a person.

Thanks Thomas.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Do any of you use supplements? I guess it'll depend on your training. I used to take Whey protein and Casein protein at night. But I've not touched weights for nearly 4 years and only do bodyweight Interval training. I only really use electrolytes gels but as it's warmer I'm using electrolytes powder dissolved just for extra fluid. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I'd say that about 5ks was natural and the rest concrete. 

I finished in just under 2 hours which is far better than I expected. I was hoping for 2.15 or so. 

Nice. I don’t mind running but I hate the feeling of running on hard surfaces like roads. 

On 04/06/2023 at 03:20, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I finished in just under 2 hours which is far better than I expected. I was hoping for 2.15 or so. 

May be an image of 1 person and grass

May be an image of 4 people, ocean and text

I'd smash. 

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yeah I need new runners. My old ones that I did this in are flat, well worn, tread is mostly gone and my knees and calves are absolutely hammered. 

Yeah it’s one those things that’s a hard balance. The cardio is great but fuck you pay for it on the cartilage 

18 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah it’s one those things that’s a hard balance. The cardio is great but fuck you pay for it on the cartilage 

Yeah I will be running 10-15ks from now on, but I'm gonna make sure I have great shoes, and still hit as much trail over concrete as possible. 

On 04/06/2023 at 10:20, Devil-Dick Willie said:

May be an image of 1 person and grass

May be an image of 4 people, ocean and text

They grow up so fast. 

5 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I turned 30 a few months ago :(

I mean, I saw these pics of you looking like a wannabe Berlin hipster a few weeks/months ago. And now in those running pics, you look as mature and grown up as I've never seen you before. So to me it looks like you're on the right track! 

On 07/06/2023 at 09:02, Tommy said:

I mean, I saw these pics of you looking like a wannabe Berlin hipster a few weeks/months ago. And now in those running pics, you look as mature and grown up as I've never seen you before. So to me it looks like you're on the right track! 

I try to live a balanced life. 'beers and berries in the fridge' style. That pic of me in the yellow was at pre drinks for an EDM festival, but I am still active at the gym and running (though I'm a bit chubby from uni peaking in difficulty). 

I am definitely trying to move away from the activities of my mid 20s and into the future though. 

• Upvote 1