talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Health and Fitness

football forum

• 3 weeks later...

Dr Sten Ekberg former Olympic Decathlete & Holistic Doctor

What it takes to be a decathlete?

With ten events spread over two days—a 100-meter sprint, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400-meter sprint, 110-meter hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin throw, and a 1,500-meter race—there is no Olympic event quite as imposing as the decathlon

Edited by Happy Blue

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone on here can help, but can only ask.

I'm finally taking the plunge and joining a gym, something I swore I'd never do but I really need to start exercising regularly, during COVID I've stopped playing footy and the amount of beer is now producing a beer gut and I'm going even more insane than I appear.

I'm just apprehensive about starting it, because I don't know what I'm doing, I don't want to be some hench meathead but would like to get in better shape. I'm thinking of just going on the exercise bike for 10 miles (gradually trying to increase my speed) then doing some of the machines? Is that alright? or will I be bullied out of the gym for being such a weakling?

50 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm finally taking the plunge and joining a gym, something I swore I'd never do but I really need to start exercising regularly, during COVID I've stopped playing footy and the amount of beer is now producing a beer gut and I'm going even more insane than I appear.

I'm just apprehensive about starting it, because I don't know what I'm doing, I don't want to be some hench meathead but would like to get in better shape. I'm thinking of just going on the exercise bike for 10 miles (gradually trying to increase my speed) then doing some of the machines? Is that alright? or will I be bullied out of the gym for being such a weakling?

First of all it has fuck all to do with anyone else. Generally speaking in gyms people just get on with it. Remember that diet is key, no matter how hard you work you can't outwork a bad diet. You could just do cardio for a couple of weeks, get a feel for it and the gym environment. After that start on the weights. I'd do weights and cardio on separate days. If you do them on the same day I find it easier doing cardio after weight-lifting. 

What are your goals? How many days will you go? Are you generally fit? Have you ever used cardio machines to do intervals like the Tabata method? Do you have a history of lifting weights? 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If you have a small area in your home. You could do Insanity, there is the original one and MAx 30. All the workouts are online. I do it Monday to Friday in my garage. 

If its fat loss, @MUFC is spot on. Your diet is more important than exercise. 

Download myfitnesspal on your mobile and start counting your calories. Make sure you are in a caloric deficit every day and you will lose fat. Add exercise into the equation and you will lose even more fat. I'd suggest weighing yourself every day, then add up your weekly weight and divide by 7. There is your average weekly weight (your bodyweight fluctuates daily on a variety of reasons) 

18 minutes ago, MUFC said:

First of all it has fuck all to do with anyone else. Generally speaking in gyms people just get on with it. Remember that diet is key, no matter how hard you work you can't outwork a bad diet. You could just do cardio for a couple of weeks, get a feel for it and the gym environment. After that start on the weights. I'd do weights and cardio on separate days. If you do them on the same day I find it easier doing cardio after weight-lifting. 

What are your goals? How many days will you go? Are you generally fit? Have you ever used cardio machines to do intervals like the Tabata method? Do you have a history of lifting weights? 

I'm not really fat or anything, just heading in the wrong direction. My diet is not awful, it's mainly the beer which gives me more more calories than I should have. It's as much to do with mental well being as physical. I've got a friend who will be coming with me, but I think he knows what he wants more than me. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and do my own thing at first and then maybe ask one of the trainers if they can advise me some sort of plan.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not really fat or anything, just heading in the wrong direction. My diet is not awful, it's mainly the beer which gives me more more calories than I should have. It's as much to do with mental well being as physical. I've got a friend who will be coming with me, but I think he knows what he wants more than me. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and do my own thing at first and then maybe ask one of the trainers if they can advise me some sort of plan.

Do what you want and see where it takes you. Remember, if it doesn't work don't lose heart and change your workout. You should change it it now and then anyway as it only takes your body around 10 days to resist and work out your schedule/routine. This might mean simple things like changing reps and sets. Or on cardio machines, if you do intervals on a bike/cross trainer/rowing machine, 20 second flat out and 10 seconds slow. Change the intervals. In some cases it could be a whole revamp change. 

I think HappyBlue knows more about the weight training side then I do. I'm more into fitness these days myself. HIT/interval type cardio.

• Upvote 1

@The Artful Dodger

Go to the gym 3x weekly. Bench press, Squat, overhead press and pull ups. Maybe some curls and triceps extensions at the end of your workout. If you can't do pull ups, do band assisted pull ups or use a pull up machine. Watch you tube videos for form, and start at a comfortable weight, that you can do for 5 sets of 5 with a 3-4 minute break between sets. This is step 1. Good luck! Get on the exercise bike for 20-30 min after your session if you have time or for longer periods on off days. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

I can do either 3 pulls up or 21-25 push ups at a time. 

I do 200 push ups 2-3 times a week. 40 at a time with a few minutes break inbetween sets. You can increase your performance relatively quickly if you keep at it. 😬 When I started, 20 was like the maximum. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I do 200 push ups 2-3 times a week. 40 at a time with a few minutes break inbetween sets. You can increase your performance relatively quickly if you keep at it. 😬 When I started, 20 was like the maximum. 

We need video evidence. 

• 1 month later...