talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Health and Fitness

football forum

On 29/09/2020 at 10:50, Eco said:

You must have the Ionic as I think it's the only one with GPS. The rest of their models use a formula based on steps and other nonsense. 

Always was shocked Fitbit didn't do more with the GPS, but they certainly dropped the ball and therefore are trusted by most runners. 

My Garmin has been wack lately, I'll run a lap and he it'll register as 3.6 miles, and then it'll be 4.8 the next days, but I know for sure it's right at 4 miles. Plus, when I pull up my routes, you'd think I only ran in straight lines and took very aggressive turns every 20 minutes. Garmin also got hit with ransomware not too long ago and so I can't help but wonder if they just haven't been able to fully recover yet. 

I just got an Apple watch SE. Been great so far. 

FItBit is truly awful. My battery now has gone from lasting 5 days, to 24 hours. And I am hearing rumors that they do this purposefully so you buy more of their products. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I just got an Apple watch SE. Been great so far. 

FItBit is truly awful. My battery now has gone from lasting 5 days, to 24 hours. And I am hearing rumors that they do this purposefully so you buy more of their products. 

Which is ironic as Apple has started making updates to their phones and got sued for it as the updates wouldn't work on older phones. 

Fitbit screwed up by not moving forward. They took forever to get a basic GPS watch (which was the Iconic and quite simply, ugly as shit), and just held onto the fact that they track steps (which every watch does now). 

My wife uses the Apple watch, and hates the lack of battery life (I think she has the Version 3), as she can't go a whole day without having to charge it. Quite frankly that would drive me crazy, but I'm not sure if the SE is any better (as I don't use Apple Products so I don't know much about their specs). 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Which is ironic as Apple has started making updates to their phones and got sued for it as the updates wouldn't work on older phones. 

Fitbit screwed up by not moving forward. They took forever to get a basic GPS watch (which was the Iconic and quite simply, ugly as shit), and just held onto the fact that they track steps (which every watch does now). 

My wife uses the Apple watch, and hates the lack of battery life (I think she has the Version 3), as she can't go a whole day without having to charge it. Quite frankly that would drive me crazy, but I'm not sure if the SE is any better (as I don't use Apple Products so I don't know much about their specs). 

I get 18 hours on my SE. I charge it overnight.

My main concerns are measuring performance and measuring calories burned. When I go to sleep, it just uses my average resting heart rate for the calories burn when I sleep. 

On 30/09/2020 at 16:12, Eco said:

200 miles. 

Big Foot 200 and MOAB 200 are two of the races that I have planned for the next 1.5 years. Trying to add more muscle for the pounding that my legs will be taking. 

Am confused to what you're doing. Is it a straight 200 mile run?

19 hours ago, MUFC said:

Am confused to what you're doing. Is it a straight 200 mile run?

Yes, obviously there are areas where you can rest and refuel, even nap, but it's a straight run. 

Here is a video of the Moab 240 

2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Only going to the gym once a week at the moment but I'm eating a lot better too and managed to lose 24 pounds in about 2/3 months so really happy with that.

Nice one, good work. That's not far off two stone, great achievement.

How have you found the change in diet?

I cannot stress how much a difference water intake makes.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Nice one, good work. That's not far off two stone, great achievement.

How have you found the change in diet?

I cannot stress how much a difference water intake makes.

Thanks mate. The diet has been easier than I expected. I've completely cut chocolate and crisps which were my kryptonite and generally making sure I don't 'pig out' on things like I used to. That coupled with more exercise and making sure I move around a lot more during the day plus drinking more water as you say, it's really made a difference. It's done wonders for my mental health too. I'm sleeping better and waking up in a much better mood. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Thanks mate. The diet has been easier than I expected. I've completely cut chocolate and crisps which were my kryptonite and generally making sure I don't 'pig out' on things like I used to. That coupled with more exercise and making sure I move around a lot more during the day plus drinking more water as you say, it's really made a difference. It's done wonders for my mental health too. I'm sleeping better and waking up in a much better mood. 

Sounds really good. It's amazing the difference it can make to everything when you are feeling fit and healthy.

Might have to treat yourself to some new clothes I reckon xD

• 3 weeks later...

Judging from comments in the past, it seemed people found it easy to put on weight over the first lockdown due to many reasons.

That then led to depression or generally not feeling good about themselves.

I reckon we should all take our weight at the start of Lockdown 2 before Thursday, and for the next 4 weeks, with a weigh in each Thursday, monitor and see how we get on. Maybe make an individual goal as to what target we want to be by start of December or whatever.

Sounds a bit gay I know, but if it helps others with a bit more encouragement and motivation to stay in shape during a time of the year when it will be ridiculously easy to comfort eat and drink, I don't see why not.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Judging from comments in the past, it seemed people found it easy to put on weight over the first lockdown due to many reasons.

One of them being no fucker could take a decent shit because they had no fucking toilet paper in the house!!! 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That then led to depression or generally not feeling good about themselves.

I reckon we should all take our weight at the start of Lockdown 2 before Thursday, and for the next 4 weeks, with a weigh in each Thursday, monitor and see how we get on. Maybe make an individual goal as to what target we want to be by start of December or whatever.

Sounds a bit gay I know, but if it helps others with a bit more encouragement and motivation to stay in shape during a time of the year when it will be ridiculously easy to comfort eat and drink, I don't see why not.

Haha funnily enough I took my weight for the first time in months (probably way before first lockdown). 

I weigh in at a light 15st. Not sure what my goal or aim would be, even by start of December. Maybe half a stone? Or a few pounds?

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

SIGNIFICANTLY worse. You're doing fuck all on an elliptical. It was designed for fatties to do no impact cardio with mild intensity, If you want to burn cals run, row or assault bike. 

Eh? You realise there are HIIT exercises you can do on the elliptical? It’s the only thing I do.

20 minute Tabata format. 30 seconds of high intensity. 1.30 minutes of recovery. 10 rounds. I’m virtually exhausted at the end and I’ve worked nearly every muscle group. All at the same time I’m preventing joint and knee pain running would usually give me. 

55 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Eh? You realise there are HIIT exercises you can do on the elliptical? It’s the only thing I do.

20 minute Tabata format. 30 seconds of high intensity. 1.30 minutes of recovery. 10 rounds. I’m virtually exhausted at the end and I’ve worked nearly every muscle group. All at the same time I’m preventing joint and knee pain running would usually give me. 

Still significantly less efficient than running, Rowing or assault bike. If running messes your knees up, then certainly don't run. But I'd switch to a concept 2 rower if you have access. 

Of course using the elliptical is better than nothing!

Over the last 12 months I've been in great shape. I've switched from the original insanity and insanity max 30. Sometimes I mix them both up. Reason I do well is pure discipline. I'm really good on the diet side of things. I can easily go without a take out or junk for 2 weeks. I set aside every other Sunday for a touch of junk. I can go 4 weeks but stopped this as it's more difficult and can make you ratty. Am at the stage where when others eat take aways and junk in the same room as me, it doesn't bother me one bit.

Also regarding discipline, I never skip a workout and only take a week off after completing the duration of the workout. In previous years I always saw the workouts as being easier but the diet harder to maintain. Being honest it's taken years to build up discipline.

Edited by MUFC
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, MUFC said:

Over the last 12 months I've been in great shape. I've switched from the original insanity and insanity max 30. Sometimes I mix them both up. Reason I do well is pure discipline. I'm really good on the diet side of things. I can easily go without a take out or junk for 2 weeks. I set aside every other Sunday for a touch of junk. I can go 4 weeks but stopped this as it's more difficult and can make you ratty. Am at the stage where when others eat take aways and junk in the same room as me, it doesn't bother me one bit.

Also regarding discipline, I never skip a workout and only take a week off after completing the duration of the workout. In previous years I always saw the workouts as being easier but the diet harder to maintain. Being honest it's taken years to build up discipline.

I could never be that disciplined so absolute credit to you. Especially as my missus is hard work when it comes to exercise and junk food.

But I'm in good shape enough to eat sensible meals and work out two or three times a week and enjoy 'treats' at the weekend. That'll do me.

• Upvote 1

I’m blessed to have a good metabolism, but I’m quite thin so the gym could be a goer in the future but at the moment I mainly do cardio. I’m noticing slight belly increase due to beer (and not enough exercise out of football season). Trying to do a couple of 4-5km runs a week, and while that’s not a lot it’s something to keep me ticking over. I also want to get back into a core workout routine I did a while back.

I eat a good breakfast and lunch, it’s dinners and snacks that I need to monitor a bit better as I get older! 

• Upvote 1

I found half the battle with exercise is just sticking to the routine, if you do it consistently you’ll feel better for it

Ive put a bit of weight on the last year or two, nothing too much mind, still fairly slimish but just grown the old double chin, tits and belly popping out. Difficult living at home sometimes to commit to exercise and eating healthy as you get stuck a bit so hoping when me and the missus move out in the new year things will change there. I’m not a massive fan of running but I can do it if needed, prefer to swim and cycle though which is a bit difficult under lockdown (swimming at least)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lucas said:

I could never be that disciplined so absolute credit to you. Especially as my missus is hard work when it comes to exercise and junk food.

But I'm in good shape enough to eat sensible meals and work out two or three times a week and enjoy 'treats' at the weekend. That'll do me.

Cheers buddy and keep up what you can do.

Regarding the good shape, any evidence? 

If you want to do Insanity MAx 30, is only 30 minutes and the weight flies off. You'll only need a half decent diet along with it. Just type the workout in google and it's currently on Facebook and Vimeo. But every so often they do get removed. Best thing is, you don't require any equipment. Is all bodyweight. 

insanity-max-30-schedule.jpg