talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Debatable Refereeing Decisions

football forum

I'm currently teaching English to teens through football and one of the activities I have planned for next week is where the students in groups have to be a VAR team. They'll watch some clips of some footballing incidents and after each clip, they'll have to say as a group what decision they would give and explain why.

I have some clips already but was wondering if anyone could think of some debatable refereeing decisions that I could use which would divide opinion, decisions that could go either way. An example is the Lucas Vasquez penalty last season in the Champions League where Buffon gets sent off. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Italy's penalty against Australia in  world cup 2006.

Eh, figured someone would say this. 

Plays like that are why we have VAR. Without slow motion replays, that clearly looks like a foul. Only when you are able to look at it from different angles and slow it down is it obviously a dive...Can't really blame the ref for that one, IMO.

36 minutes ago, Eco said:

Eh, figured someone would say this. 

Plays like that are why we have VAR. Without slow motion replays, that clearly looks like a foul. Only when you are able to look at it from different angles and slow it down is it obviously a dive...Can't really blame the ref for that one, IMO.

I'm not uncomfortable with it being a penalty. Even with VAR there is a huge amount of grey. The attacking player would usually prefer a penalty than play on so is always looking for that option. The question is at what point does the attacking player trying to create contact does it become a dive rather than a foul? 

Just now, Harry said:

I'm not uncomfortable with it being a penalty. Even with VAR there is a huge amount of grey. The attacking player would usually prefer a penalty than play on so is always looking for that option. The question is at what point does the attacking player trying to create contact does it become a dive rather than a foul? 

Yeah - as a wise man once said, 'No other sport has more 'gray' area like football does.'

Baffles me more when refs get it wrong WITH VAR assistance. Unreal

Heaps of handball penalties are controversial in terms of generating discussion as most people don't seem entirely clear on the rule with regards to it being intentional or not.

Quite a few of the VAR handball decisions have seemed harsh to me...

Cool exercise that your organising mate. 👍

• Subscriber

Sometimes I think that the refs have a certain way of refereeing a game that a singular instance can't really show. Take for example the recent match with England and Croatia. The ref was literally terrible all night long and then went on to not give fouls and, in some cases, cards out at various stages of the game. This wasn't just because the decisions were hard but because I think he wanted the game to go on. In such scenarios it doesn't matter if there's VAR the ref is making decisions based on the betterment of what he thinks the game should be. It could be argued that its wrong by some but it could also be said that he's going the game some benefit by letting it flow and not stop and turn into a foul-fest for silly pushes and kicks.

• Administrator

Iheanacho's goal against Fleetwood in the FA Cup earlier this year. 

In real time, he looks clearly offside. 

Slow motion, VAR-assisted replays show he was onside and goal can stand. 

Germany's penalty against Argentina WC 1990

Klose's flying knee against Abbondanzieri WC 2006

Neuer's flying kick against Higuain WC 2014

Owen's penalty against Argentina 1998 WC

Owen's penalty against Argentina 2002 WC

France's goal vs Ireland 2009 WC qualifier, offside and two handballs in the same play.

David Villa's goal against Portugal 2010 WC

De Jong's flying kick against Xabi Alonso 2010 WC

Carlos Bacca's "disallowed goal" against England 2018 WC

Obviously Hand Of God also, but that's already well known.

England vs Argentina and Portugal in 66 WC were also quite packed of controversies but i doubt you'll find them on youtube.

18 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Nani's "red" versus RM, worst call ever, even with Ronaldo Man Utd was the better team until that decision. 

Barcelona's "PK's" versus PSG that led to the comeback

Roy Keane thought it was a sending of. Bit far fetched to call it the worst decision ever. Also Madrid had an onside goal dissaload in that game 

17 hours ago, Eco said:

Yeah - as a wise man once said, 'No other sport has more 'gray' area like football does.'

Baffles me more when refs get it wrong WITH VAR assistance. Unreal

Depends on how you interpret a decision. Take that penalty today. If you think the player moves his hand to the ball then it is a penalty. The issue is that football pundits and fans aren't trained referees. Sometimes when you hear referees explain things you can see how we are wrong and the referee was right 

On 7/15/2018 at 07:14, Berserker said:

Germany's penalty against Argentina WC 1990

Klose's flying knee against Abbondanzieri WC 2006

Neuer's flying kick against Higuain WC 2014

Owen's penalty against Argentina 1998 WC

Owen's penalty against Argentina 2002 WC

France's goal vs Ireland 2009 WC qualifier, offside and two handballs in the same play.

David Villa's goal against Portugal 2010 WC

De Jong's flying kick against Xabi Alonso 2010 WC

Carlos Bacca's "disallowed goal" against England 2018 WC

Obviously Hand Of God also, but that's already well known.

England vs Argentina and Portugal in 66 WC were also quite packed of controversies but i doubt you'll find them on youtube.

Mate, I think @carefreeluke are looking for calls that could go either way, and thus are debatable. 

The 'Hand of God' is not debatable xD

17 minutes ago, Eco said:

Mate, I think @carefreeluke are looking for calls that could go either way, and thus are debatable. 

The 'Hand of God' is not debatable xD

Yeah, i agree, just wanted to cover my back by including it in case someone said "oh, you remember all that but you conveniently forgot the Hand Of God, bla bla".

Just now, Berserker said:

Yeah, i agree, just wanted to cover my back by including it in case someone said "oh, you remember all that but you conveniently forgot the Hand Of God, bla bla".

hahaha - I gotcha. 

Good mate cheers, I'm teaching general English and football English, one in the morning, one in the afternoon in East London. Believe it or not I actually prefer the general English as the students are much better on a lot of aspects (and I'm talking about their English level). Majority of the football students are good but some of their attitudes are absolutely dreadful. Behaviour is OK but for some of them, their attitude stinks and that probably annoys me more than anything when it comes to teaching. I'm teaching all teenagers mostly Italians, some from the Scandinavian countries, some Turkish and a few other countries.

Archived