• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Player Of The Season - Anthony Knockaert

Player of the Year  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Championship

• Chris Wood (Leeds United)
    • Dwight Gayle (Newcastle United)
    • Anthony Knockaert (Brighton & Hove Albion)
  2. 2. League One

• Billy Sharp (Sheffield United)
    • John Fleck (Sheffield United)
    • Josh Morris (Scunthorpe)
  3. 3. League Two

• John Marquis (Doncaster Rovers)
    • James Coppinger (Doncaster Rovers)
    • Danny Hylton (Luton Town)

Leeds striker Chris Wood, Newcastle forward Dwight Gayle and Brighton winger Anthony Knockaert have been nominated for the EFL's Championship Player of the Year award.

New Zealand's Wood, 25, has scored 24 league goals this season.

Gayle, 26, has 21 goals from 28 league games since joining leaders Newcastle from Crystal Palace for £10m.

Former Leicester man Knockaert, 25, has scored 13 goals to help Chris Hughton's side to second in the table.

League One leaders Sheffield United have two of the three nominees for the third-tier award, with the division's top scorer Billy Sharp, 31, and midfielder John Fleck, 25, nominated alongside Scunthorpe forward Josh Morris, 25.

League Two leaders Doncaster Rovers also have two nominees with striker John Marquis, 24, and midfielder James Coppinger, 36, up against Luton striker Danny Hylton, 28.

The awards will be presented in London on Sunday, 9 April

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39410325

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to be John Marquis for me in League Two. He was a man without a home before going to Doncaster. He'd just bounced around from loan spell to loan spell never really excelling anywhere but the permanent move to Doncaster has really been what he needed and he's excelled in what is a truly horrendous division. 

• Subscriber

Two ex-Leicester in the running there. We had a lovely squad for this level three years ago.

I can't believe how good Wood's come. I didn't rate him here. My mate has bet my other mate (Leeds fan) for the last two seasons that Wood wouldn't hit ten goals. He'd paid him out by about October this year if I remember rightly.

Hope Knockaert comes up. He's PL quality and I simply refuse to be told otherwise.

Wood will probably win it.

Gayle has missed a few games with injuries but is guaranteed goals at this level, not sure he's cut out for the PL but we should find that out next season.

Knockaert is class, too.

I think they'll give it to Knoackaert. Either of them are fitting winners - Gayle'a best period was October-November time, which isn't as fresh in the memory of people now.  I think if we go up Gayle has a part to play next season, his movement and finishing at times has been brilliant and at any level that is enough.

Not one player in a defensive position nominated for the award across all three of the divisions? Bizarre.

David Wheater has been a fucking freak at League One level and is simply untouchable - genuinely think he is still upper Championship/lower Premiership quality. He's scored something like 8 goals too.

I've liked John Fleck ever since he was at Coventry City - of course my exposure to him this season has been limited due to the 20 second highlights on Channel 5, but I know the Blades fans rave about him. Sharp's goal record speaks for itself, as does Morris's.

7 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

I think they'll give it to Knoackaert. Either of them are fitting winners - Gayle'a best period was October-November time, which isn't as fresh in the memory of people now.  I think if we go up Gayle has a part to play next season, his movement and finishing at times has been brilliant and at any level that is enough.

Agree to an extent but not sure he can be relied on solely for goals, with Rafa usually just playing the one up front I think a better striker is needed and Gayle to come off the bench.

Mitrovic is poor & Murphy won't be good enough.

10 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

I think half way through this season he complained and asked them to start calling him Kuh-knock-hart

Yeah I've heard what they say, but I've never heard them ever call him anything different. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, roversgirl said:

Knockaert has had a good season but for me Cairney has been more consistent and influential. It is a shame they do these awards so early as there is a lot more football still to play.

of course you do xD 

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

In fairness, she's right. Why they get players to vote on this in December, when the season runs to May, is beyond me. It should be voted on no earlier than March IMO, as a hell of a lot changes in season in the final four or five months. 

It was more aimed towards the Tom Cairney comment. She's developed the same obsession women have with Tom Hardy.

I think the question you need to ask is where all three clubs would be without those players that have been nominated.

Newcastle would probably still be up there.

Brighton would be somewhere in the Top 6, perhaps not necessarily Top 2 mind.

Leeds would be no where. He literally get's all our goals.

So for me, it's Chris Wood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39548007

Anthony Knockaert wins Player of the Season for the Championship.

Very happy for thim for all he's been through ths season. Hope he does well in the Premier League next season 1) if he makes it with Brighton or 2) if he moves to a different club before next season.

Always enjoy watching him because of his passion and his growth as a player over the last couple of seasons is commendable. Especially after his father passed away late last year as well. 

• The title was changed to Player Of The Season - Anthony Knockaert

Archived