• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Player Of The Season - Anthony Knockaert

Player of the Year  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Championship

• Chris Wood (Leeds United)
    • Dwight Gayle (Newcastle United)
    • Anthony Knockaert (Brighton & Hove Albion)
  2. 2. League One

• Billy Sharp (Sheffield United)
    • John Fleck (Sheffield United)
    • Josh Morris (Scunthorpe)
  3. 3. League Two

• John Marquis (Doncaster Rovers)
    • James Coppinger (Doncaster Rovers)
    • Danny Hylton (Luton Town)

• The title was changed to Player Of The Season - Anthony Knockaert
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knockaert is probably the correct decision, fantastic player and can turn games on their head in a matter of seconds. Wood will probably feel hard done by, Leeds would be nowhere without him.

Never thought Gayle would get it.

• Administrator

previous winners of the award and where they got to...

2016 - Andre Gray - now in Premier League with Burnley
2015 - Patrick Bamford - now in Premier League with Middlesbrough (but personally, still over-rated and hasn't lived up to earlier hype)
2014 - Danny Ings - is he still with Liverpool?!
2013 - Matej Vydra - now with Watford - never really materialised as a Premier League player
2012 - Rickie Lambert - did well with Southampton in Premier League; not so much with Liverpool...
2011 - Adel Taarabt - similar to Vydra, never really went on to amount to anything in the Premier League. Attitude problems and lots of loan spells to add.

Before that, Kevin Nolan, Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, Kevin Phillips, Jason Koumas, Phil Jagielka. 

What is wrong with having some scepticism because of his anonymous performances against us, the closest opposition tactically they will get to a lower Premier League side?

I never said it means he will fail, I'm just using the evidence infront of me to remain open minded.

2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

What is wrong with having some scepticism because of his anonymous performances against us, the closest opposition tactically they will get to a lower Premier League side?

I never said it means he will fail, I'm just using the evidence infront of me to remain open minded.

I've seen it all over Twitter, it's just a poor argument for me. Top players in the PL have played against Championship clubs in the cups this season and done nothing - look at Liverpool at home against Wolves. 

Dummett can defend, and Knockaert has off-days. 

Wasn't meant as an attack on you by the way, I just don't like that sort of argument and never have.

26 minutes ago, Toony said:

I've seen it all over Twitter, it's just a poor argument for me. Top players in the PL have played against Championship clubs in the cups this season and done nothing - look at Liverpool at home against Wolves. 

Dummett can defend, and Knockaert has off-days. 

Wasn't meant as an attack on you by the way, I just don't like that sort of argument and never have.

That only applies to hypotheticals. We know what happened because the two games have been played. Did Knockaert play poorly, or does Dummet have his number? Maybe Knockaert played poorly because of Dummet.

My point lacks depth and is rooted in bias but that is one of the reasons I left it open ended and not closed off. I'm sure Twitter is full of Newcastle fans whose bias has gone a bit too far. That's what football does to people.

Overall though if any Championship player makes the step up and struggles there is likely to be evidence from their Championship performances to suggest that was going to happen. 

Archived