talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Parma Deducted 5 Points & Calaio Banned for 2 Years for Match-Fixing

Chievo and Parma will appear in court on Tuesday, each facing the threat of relegation from Serie A.

Chievo were referred to the FIGC’s Federal National Court for false accounting, while Parma striker Emanuele Calaio is alleged to have sent text messages to Spezia players implying possible match-fixing before his side’s 2-0 win on May 18, which secured their return to the top flight.

According to ANSA, the federation’s prosecutor wants point deductions to be applied both teams’ tallies last season – the extent of which would result in the Flying Donkeys’ suffering relegation and the Ducali dropping out of the automatic promotion places in Serie B.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prosecutor asks for Parma relegation
By Football Italia staff

The FIGC’s prosecutor has reportedly asked for Parma to be deducted two points for last season, which would return them to Serie B.

The Ducali have been accused of attempting to fix a match against Spezia, after texts sent by Emanuele Calaiò to some of the opposition players.

The striker urged Spezia not to try too hard, which he maintains was a joke, but Sky Italia reports that the prosecutor has asked for him to be suspended for four years.

In addition, the request is that Parma either be deducted two points for last season or six in the coming campaign.

The former would actually be the more harsh sanction, as that would see the Crociati drop behind Palermo in the final table, and therefore miss out on promotion to Serie A.

The Rosanero have been granted access to the trial as an "interested party" but a request from Venezia was turned down.

It’s up to the court to decide whether to find Parma guilty, and even if they do they could impose a more lenient sentence than the one requested by the prosecutor.

• Administrator

Calaio banned for 2 years. Fined 20,000 Euros.

Parma to start on -5 for 18/19 season, won't be relegated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44924906

Parma striker Emanuele Calaio has been banned for two years for match-fixing.

Parma have also been deducted five points for the 2018-19 Serie A season and Calaio, 36, has been fined 20,000 euros (£17,800).

Italy's National Federal Court (TFN) imposed the sanctions after Calaio sent "suspicious messages" to some of his former team-mates before Spezia played Parma on 18 May.

Parma won the game 2-0 to secure promotion back to Italy's top flight.

Calaio, who left Spezia to join Parma in 2016, contacted Spezia players Filippo de Col and Claudio Terzi before the game via messaging service WhatsApp.

Prosecutors began investigating in June and Parma denied any wrongdoing, saying the messages "don't contain any sort of irregularity or malice".

But Calaio was charged with match-fixing in July, when the Italian FA passed the case to the TFN, and the messages were deemed to influence the game by "eliciting a reduced effort" from De Col and Terzi.

Parma were relegated to Serie D after being declared bankrupt in 2015, but will return to Serie A after three successive promotions.

The win over Spezia sealed second place in Serie B last season as rivals Frosinone could only manage a 2-2 draw against Foggia.

• The title was changed to Parma Deducted 5 Points & Calaio Banned for 2 Years for Match-Fixing
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Ridiculous decision all round.

Why ridiculous??? 

Just curious because to be honest I was thinking the same way given the lack of serious evidence but then I suppose any form of activity that's likely to interfere with an outcome of a game either directly or indirectly could be considered 'match fixing' or at the very least trying to influence the outcome of it. 

Seems a bit harsh initially, I mean it's not like they had solid evidence that he directly influenced the outcome of it so the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime and could be considered excessive but given the problems with corruption in the past they may be taken a hard line on it.. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Why ridiculous??? 

Just curious because to be honest I was thinking the same way given the lack of serious evidence but then I suppose any form of activity that's likely to interfere with an outcome of a game either directly or indirectly could be considered 'match fixing' or at the very least trying to influence the outcome of it. 

Seems a bit harsh initially, I mean it's not like they had solid evidence that he directly influenced the outcome of it so the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime and could be considered excessive but given the problems with corruption in the past they may be taken a hard line on it.. 

It's Italy though isn't it. Obviously I'm being a stereotyping cunt and this isn't an acceptable reason to dish out the punishment but it's Italy so it probably was foul play not a coincidence.

46 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Why ridiculous??? 

Same reasons as you. Nothing in the story. 

After the whole Juventus scandal fifteen or so years ago, I suppose it’s better to come down hard on people/teams that commit this kind of offence but if the texts were simply “don’t try too hard” and they didn’t contain any threats or offers of financial remuneration, I’m not sure you can warrant such a punishment. 

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Typical Italians....Match-fixing and enhancing drugs. Of course the maniac CUNTe was guilty of both. 

If you are going to just be a troll, please don't have my University as your avatar. :ph34r:

With the allegations that swirl in Italy, I have often found myself unable to watch the league. It's typically not been close, and there is ALWAYS extra allegations, bankruptcy's, and absolute B.S. that it's becoming harder and harder to watch. 

@Dalmore and I have spoken about this topic a few times, and he's has more iron will than I when it comes to this league. Truly idiotic how much scandal there is. 

11 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Typical Italians....Match-fixing and enhancing drugs. Of course the maniac CUNTe was guilty of both. 

If you don't believe PEDs are rampant at every top level club, you probably still believe in Santa.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2018 at 16:43, ScoRoss said:

If you don't believe PEDs are rampant at every top level club, you probably still believe in Santa.

What do you mean?

Who's been drinking the milk and eating the cookies that I put out every year, then? 🤔

Archived