• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
37 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

AGAIN???

10 minutes ago, Berserker said:

The new Beppe Rossi right here. If this is true then his career will never progress.

i feel quite sorry for him :(

looks like we dodged a bullet signing him though a couple of seasons ago if this is how it was going to turn out. For his sake I hope he recovers fully and puts this bout of injuries behind him. 

47 minutes ago, Berserker said:

The new Beppe Rossi right here. If this is true then his career will never progress.

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

looks like we dodged a bullet signing him though a couple of seasons ago if this is how it was going to turn out. For his sake I hope he recovers fully and puts this bout of injuries behind him. 

Thiago Alcántara I think I'm right in saying he had three in a row (definitely two, not 100% about the third) and came back to the level he was before.  Providing the operation goes perfect and the recovery is perfect also, then there's no reason why he can't come back to 100%.  I feel sorry for him but I also feel sorry for Napoli who AGAIN start a season on record breaking numbers and their calculated squad is thinned.  That's a great part of what more money gets you...

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yep, pretty much.

20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Thiago Alcántara I think I'm right in saying he had three in a row (definitely two, not 100% about the third) and came back to the level he was before.  Providing the operation goes perfect and the recovery is perfect also, then there's no reason why he can't come back to 100%.  I feel sorry for him but I also feel sorry for Napoli who AGAIN start a season on record breaking numbers and their calculated squad is thinned.  That's a great part of what more money gets you...

Yeah, you're right. But then again he's had a lot of injuries, even if they do recover fully they're gonna be prone to having lots of injuries through their career (albeit perhaps not as severe as that one) like Thiago himself.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Dalmore said:

Milik has faced so many serious injuries that he decided that if he wants to change his luck, he needs to believe in Karma. That's why he did this:

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/napoli-star-pays-for-fellow-footballer-s-acl-surgery-38832

Wonderful gesture from Milik...  Actually it's more than just a gesture and this is the sort of thing that should make headlines because I didn't even hear about it till now.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Hamšik is one goal away from equalling Maradona's record at Napoli, and being only 30 he will surely extend that record.

Don't get me wrong mate...  But that doesn't mean jack shit!  Sorry for being so strong on this, but scoring goals doesn't mean anything whatsoever and someone like Hamšik should never be compared to someone like Maradona.  It does a disservice to Hamšik and this is all media bollocks because they have nothing to write about.

Let Hamšik do his own thing because he and Maradona are from different stratospheres when it comes to football.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Don't get me wrong mate...  But that doesn't mean jack shit!  Sorry for being so strong on this, but scoring goals doesn't mean anything whatsoever and someone like Hamšik should never be compared to someone like Maradona.  It does a disservice to Hamšik and this is all media bollocks because they have nothing to write about.

Let Hamšik do his own thing because he and Maradona are from different stratospheres when it comes to football.

It doesn't but that doesn't take away that he's still Napoli's third best player ever.

49 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For you.

Your views are your own but I do think you seriously underrate Hamsik and just makes me question how much of Napoli you watch... or in a more respectful way, what ways you view football. Hamsik has been the best player on this team in the last 10 years. The heart of the team and an absolute world class player on form. There was no number 10 better than him last season and while he hasn't started off as well, the games I've watched so far he's still been very good. 

Hes not better than Careca or Maradona but he's been the best player in the De Laurentiis era and despite not having won the title yet, it's still a very important era in the Napoli timeline.

46 minutes ago, Blue said:

Your views are your own but I do think you seriously underrate Hamsik and just makes me question how much of Napoli you watch... or in a more respectful way, what ways you view football. Hamsik has been the best player on this team in the last 10 years. The heart of the team and an absolute world class player on form. There was no number 10 better than him last season and while he hasn't started off as well, the games I've watched so far he's still been very good. 

Hes not better than Careca or Maradona but he's been the best player in the De Laurentiis era and despite not having won the title yet, it's still a very important era in the Napoli timeline.

I said that to you... It’s your point of view.

I rate Hamšik and always have done. He goes missing a lot but he is quality without a doubt. But I don’t like comparisons, and much less with other beings like Maradona. Leave Maradona alone! He’s celestial where football is concerned.  

I never said he was close to Maradona. I just said he's the third best player to play for Napoli.

Its like saying George Weah is the best Liberian player of all time but the second best is obviously not even close to him. That doesn't mean that he can't be second.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

I never said he was close to Maradona. I just said he's the third best player to play for Napoli.

Its like saying George Weah is the best Liberian player of all time but the second best is obviously not even close to him. That doesn't mean that he can't be second.

I would have various players from the 80s Napoli ahead of Hamšik. But I see what you meant. 

21 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Of course but he will be going into the Napoli legends list for sure, obviously not as the greatest ever.

It's the media and it's a statistic that's being used to fill newspaper columns, I get that!  We live in the present and Hamšík is part of that present not only for Napoli but also for Serie 'A' which means it has to be publicised so as to add extra publicity for the championship all around.

But coherence where football fans are concerned is needed here and an understanding of what it all means when adjectives are banded about...

I know we're all gonna be in agreement that Maradona is one of the greatest footballers to have graced the field of play...  For some he is the greatest of them all and for the rest that don't agree with that will definitely have him up there amongst the best three of all time.  But we're talking special here and something set in stone and alone.

So Hamšík is the second, the third or the fourth best player in Napoli's history...  That's what Blue (Brian) is saying.  Ok then, let's look at the reality of it all and I don't know if this says something about Marek Hamšík or SSC Napoli, but there's something here to be measured in it all if you want to do this and as I said in my first response to all of this, it does a disservice to Hamšík to be even named amongst the players that sit on the pantheon of greatness.

So here goes because it's quick and simple;

So Diego Maradona is either the best footballer in the history of the game and if not that, definitely in the top three in history.

Where does Marek Hamšík sit on a hypothetical list of the greatest players of all time?

Does he come within a top 50?  Not for me!

Obviously Slovakia is a country that was part of Czechoslovakia at one point and going back there I would say that many Czechoslovakians will say that Hamšík wouldn't even come in a united top 20 in their history seeing as their past is rich in football history.  But that's another story that none of us here can really comment on and only mention as a passing comment.  But it is relevant!

I rate Hamšík, but Blue seems to have him on some sort of pedestal that I don't get.  Napoli hasn't done anything of relevance since the Maradona years and Hamšík on the whole has been part of a lot of mediocrity surrounding the club from La Campania.  Marek Hamšík doesn't even come in a top 100 footballers of all time for me and there we have it...  Does it say something about him or SSC Napoli?  I repeat...  It does a disservice to him to be compared.  He has stayed at Napoli because even though on his day he is good, he isn't anything hyper-special and if he had been something special he wouldn't be playing for Napoli.

I'm sure Czechoslovakians would say he's one of the top 20. They have had some great teams but its been quite a long time since they've had players as good as Marek. Who else? Milan Baros ffs. Not like it matters anyhow

Not once did I say that Hamsik is one of the best players of all time. All I said was that he's the third best player in Napoli history. They are an important club but not quite as important as the Milan teams or Juve which both Hamsik would be outside the top 10. This is one of the better Napoli sides in history and Marek has been here for 10 years and on his day has been a completely world class footballer.

I was having a discussion with a friend earlier today about him actually, I said that Marek is one of the greatest players in recent years Serie A, but I added that if he wants to be a "remembered" Serie A player, he needs to win a Scudetto.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I'm sure Czechoslovakians would say he's one of the top 20. They have had some great teams but its been quite a long time since they've had players as good as Marek. Who else? Milan Baros ffs. Not like it matters anyhow

Not once did I say that Hamsik is one of the best players of all time. All I said was that he's the third best player in Napoli history. They are an important club but not quite as important as the Milan teams or Juve which both Hamsik would be outside the top 10. This is one of the better Napoli sides in history and Marek has been here for 10 years and on his day has been a completely world class footballer.

I was having a discussion with a friend earlier today about him actually, I said that Marek is one of the greatest players in recent years Serie A, but I added that if he wants to be a "remembered" Serie A player, he needs to win a Scudetto.

I'd have him 5th. Behind Maradona, Zola, Higuain, and Insigne, 

Just now, Cicero said:

I'd have him 5th. Behind Maradona, Zola, Higuain, and Insigne, 

For me its

Maradona, Careca Hamsik, Higuain, Cavani

Zola wasn't at his greatest at Napoli. Compared to Chelsea that is. But overall its a respectable list. I just think Insigne has a lot more to prove. He's on course.

Archived