talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marko Grujic - Rejoining Cardiff from Liverpool

Liverpool remain keen on Marko Grujic rejoining Cardiff but his agent is holding up the deal, Neil Warnock has said.

Grujic spent the second half of last season on loan at Cardiff as they won promotion to the Premier League.

"We spoke to Liverpool, I think everything is in the pipeline but no news yet," Warnock told Sky Sports News after Cardiff's 6-0 win over Tavistock in a pre-season friendly on Monday night. "We like him.

"I'm not sure his agent fancies him coming with us but Liverpool do and I think Marko does."

Cardiff have signed four players during the current summer window, spending more than £27m.

But Warnock revealed he still wants "one or two" more signings before their top-flight campaign kicks off, but said any hope of signing West Brom's Matt Phillips ended quickly.

"I was [interested] until I found he was £15m," said Warnock. "It's never been on the agenda, one phone call I made about him six weeks go.

"It finished at the end of that conversation."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m surprised they’re back in for him considering it didn’t sound like he did well, right @Bluebird Hewitt? Either way if he goes there I wish him and Cardiff luck. Last seasons loan was a good test for him, but th top flight is a better one.

I admittedly wasn't too fussed when he played for us (mainly that simple passes could go wayward or put us under unnecessary pressure), but at the same time, we did win more often than not when he played and I think he was heavily involved when we won 8 on the bounce.

I wouldn't be against it but we definitely do need another centre mid as well as this if it goes through.

• 3 weeks later...

" Grujic looks like he will stay put... I think he would be better off here but it is a contract issue, I understand his point of view," Warnock said

"Liverpool have four competitions before Christmas and he can play in those without being named in the 25-man squad.

"I have missed out on a couple of targets waiting for him. It is disappointing as everything was agreed with Liverpool. But sometimes fate intervenes."

6 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

There were rumours of Lazio being interested as well. Warnock has been a bit naive here as we're badly short in midfield and only have six days left of the window.

Yeah I think Lazio were hoping to take him permanently

Apparently we wouldn't loan him out unless he signed a contract extension (his current one ends in 2020) which he's refused to do. Bit of a weird one.

I'd've been happy to see him loaned out to get him in the shop window because I don't think he's good enough to make it here.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived