talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Griezmann's "taking the L" celebration - disrespectful?

• Subscriber

So I don't play Fortnite but from what I gather, this new celebration from Griezmann originates from something you can do on that game.

When I watched it I thought it was a bit of an immature and potentially disrespectful celebration from the point of view of anyone who doesn't know where it comes from. But it's a World Cup final and with everything going on it becomes barely a footnote in the days events.

However I came across this article on Paddy Power today, and wanted to gauge the opinions of TF365. Was this celebration in a World Cup final a bit classless from Griezmann? Should he have been aware that non-Fortnite players might interpret this as rubbing the underdogs Croatia's nose in falling behind? Or should players be allowed to rub it in to the opposition fans as much as they want when their team scores a goal?

I am currently undecided personally but if it was me in his shoes, that's not how I celebrate (mainly because I don't play Fortnite and can't take it seriously as a game people my age play partly because the 13 year olds in my tutor group are obsessed with it).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Not at all xD 

No one made a fuss about it when he did it towards the end of last season.

I don't play Fortnite but can appreciate it's just a silly dance from the game. 

Should be only doing that celebration against a fierce rival like Real Madrid or a team full of cunts like Real Madrid again. The one he did against Croatia was silly, especially after a soft penalty decision that he scored on. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Asura said:

Should be only doing that celebration against a fierce rival like Real Madrid or a team full of cunts like Real Madrid again. The one he did against Croatia was silly, especially after a soft penalty decision that he scored on. 

xD why?

• Subscriber

I don't like staged celebrations simply because I think you're killing your own euphoria - unless there wasn't truly any, which I find a bit sad.

38 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD why?

I think thats disrespectful to your opponent with whom you have no rivalry or history at all ... asking them to take the L. 

Celebrating a goal is different from saying "take the L" ... 

11 minutes ago, Asura said:

I think thats disrespectful to your opponent with whom you have no rivalry or history at all ... asking them to take the L. 

Celebrating a goal is different from saying "take the L" ... 

I would never want you on my team. No offense, but on my team I want only people who consider all opponents as serious as rivals. 

Granted, when Inter play AC does it have more energy than a Inter vs Pescara? Sure. But I want to fucking bash in all their heads regardless of your city, colors, uniforms...etc. Just win. 

In the World Cup Final, you either win or lose. Would you rather politely request they issue a draw? 

Man up, Croatia did well to get to the Final, but if any one of THEM are offended by this, than I can accurate point to the exact reason they are the World Cup losers. 

4 hours ago, Eco said:

I would never want you on my team. No offense, but on my team I want only people who consider all opponents as serious as rivals. 

Granted, when Inter play AC does it have more energy than a Inter vs Pescara? Sure. But I want to fucking bash in all their heads regardless of your city, colors, uniforms...etc. Just win. 

In the World Cup Final, you either win or lose. Would you rather politely request they issue a draw? 

Man up, Croatia did well to get to the Final, but if any one of THEM are offended by this, than I can accurate point to the exact reason they are the World Cup losers. 

what are you blaberring? 

Who even said anything about not giving their all and to win a world cup final or any other match. Give your head a quick wobble and read again. 

2 hours ago, Asura said:

what are you blaberring? 

Who even said anything about not giving their all and to win a world cup final or any other match. Give your head a quick wobble and read again. 

I read it mate. And again, and again. 

'Asking them to Take the L' is what you said you had a problem with. I think this is non-competitive attitude. It's a stupid looking dance from a video game kids play....I'm shocked more people are triggered (not saying you are) by the 'L' than by him grabbing his dick. xD

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

I read it mate. And again, and again. 

'Asking them to Take the L' is what you said you had a problem with. I think this is non-competitive attitude. It's a stupid looking dance from a video game kids play....I'm shocked more people are triggered (not saying you are) by the 'L' than by him grabbing his dick. xD

Why would you want to rub into the opponent's face? Im talking about an opponent with whom you have no history or rivalry with? Agreed they are in your way from reaching your goal but thats just competition and you score against them, celebrate with your fans or teammates and then move on. Its nothing to do with non competitive attitude. Non competitive attitude would be something if I ask him to not score more goals after leading 1-0 or something stupid like that. 

I felt it was totally unnecessary  when he did that against Arsenal in the Europa league semis at Emirates, clearly there is no historical rivalry between Atletico and Arsenal or between Griezmann himself and Arsenal. It would be more apt if Kane does that celebration at Emirates after scoring and that is what Im saying here. There is a ton of difference between those two players from Arsenal's perspective. Similary Griezmann doing that against Real Madrid or maybe even Barcelona at club level would make more sense. 

Rubbing in your fierce rivals faces makes more sense rather than doing that after scoring a penalty (probabaly a non existent one) against a team with whom you have no rivalry or are not full of cunts. 

1 minute ago, Asura said:

Why would you want to rub into the opponent's face? Im talking about an opponent with whom you have no history or rivalry with? Agreed they are in your way from reaching your goal but thats just competition and you score against them, celebrate with your fans or teammates and then move on. Its nothing to do with non competitive attitude. Non competitive attitude would be something if I ask him to not score more goals after leading 1-0 or something stupid like that. 

I felt it was totally unnecessary  when he did that against Arsenal in the Europa league semis at Emirates, clearly there is no historical rivalry between Atletico and Arsenal or between Griezmann himself and Arsenal. It would be more apt if Kane does that celebration at Emirates after scoring and that is what Im saying here. There is a ton of difference between those two players from Arsenal's perspective. Similary Griezmann doing that against Real Madrid or maybe even Barcelona at club level would make more sense. 

Rubbing in your fierce rivals faces makes more sense rather than doing that after scoring a penalty (probabaly a non existent one) against a team with whom you have no rivalry or are not full of cunts. 

Okay - and there is the miscommunication. I understand that rubbing in the face looks poor...I just see this as a stupid dance from a stupid game that he's been doing for some time now. 

I agree that I don't appreciate a few things in terms of celebrations....organized team celebrations AND just being a prick. I just don't, in any way, see this as being a prick. I see this as just a stupid dance, not being a show boat. 

10 hours ago, Eco said:

Than whats youre take on Iranian captain giving flowers to your captain before kick off in 98 ?

Its difference of cultures i'd say.

Americans and Australians are mean and rude for the most part or according to them tough, they consider it to be normal and when they act like that towards other they expect others to take it normal as well.

Asians are different as Asura said we might act like that towards our rivals but we dont do that against everybody.

I don't get the big deal. Football's a brutal business if players can't handle it I doubt they would get to an elite level

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Asura said:

If I remember correctly, he did it in front of his own fans, therefore emphasising its nothing about rubbing it in someone's face and more just celebrating with a dance from a game. 

6 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Than whats youre take on Iranian captain giving flowers to your captain before kick off in 98 ?

Obviously a difference in culture. What he does before kick off changes nothing. 

6 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Its difference of cultures i'd say.

Americans and Australians are mean and rude for the most part or according to them tough, they consider it to be normal and when they act like that towards other they expect others to take it normal as well.

Asians are different as Asura said we might act like that towards our rivals but we dont do that against everybody.

If this is what makes you sleep at night or the kind of propaganda you are given, then keep that mindset. Truth is, we have tons of people here who are incredibly P.C., not competitive, and plays games because they are fun, not to win. However, I am not one of them as I never found the point in playing a competitive game if you aren't....well competitive. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Obviously a difference in culture. What he does before kick off changes nothing. 

If this is what makes you sleep at night or the kind of propaganda you are given, then keep that mindset. Truth is, we have tons of people here who are incredibly P.C., not competitive, and plays games because they are fun, not to win. However, I am not one of them as I never found the point in playing a competitive game if you aren't....well competitive. 

You took it to heart xD

if you are going to take an interest in Cricket than you should know that Australia have a history of sledging and bantering opponents on the pitch.

To them its normal and part of the game that makes it interesting but to us Asians that seems rude.

You get what i'm saying ?

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

You took it to heart xD

if you are going to take an interest in Cricket than you should know that Australia have a history of sledging and bantering opponents on the pitch.

To them its normal and part of the game that makes it interesting but to us Asians that seems rude.

You get what i'm saying ?

So why throw in the 'Americans' in your original comment if your basing it off of what the Aussie do in Cricket? O.o

Archived