talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2018-19

Premier League Sack Race 2018-19  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the first to leave their club?

• Mark Hughes (Southampton)
    • Javi Gracia (Watford)
    • Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace)
    • Rafael Benitez (Newcastle)
    • Claude Puel (Leicester)
    • Chris Hughton (Brighton)
    • Neil Warnock (Cardiff)
    • Other

• Subscriber

This thread seemed to prompt some decent discussion last season, where over half of the managers that started the season either left or were sacked before the end of the season.

With Sarri now in place at Chelsea, we have twenty managers who will presumably be taking the reins in the Premier League on the first day of the season. Below are some odds (Bet Victor) on who is going to be the next Premier League Manager to Leave (so not necessarily "sacked"):

6/1 - Mark Hughes (Southampton) and Javi Gracia (Watford)

8/1 - Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace) and Rafael Benitez (Newcastle)

10/1 - Claude Puel (Leicester) and Chris Hughton (Brighton)

12/1 - Neil Warnock (Cardiff)

14/1 - Nuno Santo (Wolves)

16/1 - Eddie Howe (Bournemouth), Sean Dyche (Burnley), David Wagner (Huddersfield) and Manuel Pellegrini (West Ham)

20/1 - Marco Silva (Everton) and Slavisa Jokanovic (Fulham)

33/1 - Jose Mourinho (Manchester United), Pep Guardiola (Manchester City), Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham) and Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)

50/1 - Unai Emery (Arsenal)

My money would probably go on Gracia based on nothing but gut feeling. In terms of the best value there, it's hard to spot, possibly Puel if Leicester have a bad start or maybe Pellegrini - West Ham can be a bit weird and they have a very difficult fixture list to begin the season.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think I must have been the only person to have picked DeBoer last time 9_9

This year i say Puel.

Just had a flick through last year's first page. Most people were all over Hughes and Bilic, you were closest to picking De Boer, your second pick after Bilic. @Cannabis had De Boer down to be sacked at some point but not first. Nobody else mentioned him. He was at 12/1 with the bookies.

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Just had a flick through last year's first page. Most people were all over Hughes and Bilic, you were closest to picking De Boer, your second pick after Bilic. @Cannabis had De Boer down to be sacked at some point but not first. Nobody else mentioned him. He was at 12/1 with the bookies.

Apart from Hodgson (who I think will go at the end of the season) i think everybody from under 16/1 will either get canned or resign at some point because of the culture we are now in.

There's only four Managers there I definitely see staying in to next season. There's five that could well move on to progress their careers. The rest are pretty much two poor months before being in serious trouble. 

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Hughes, Gracia, Woy, Benitez, Puel, Hughton and Warnock won't see out the season.

I have a sneaky feeling Pellegrini won't either, if it starts badly and the scenes of last season come back then he'll walk. 

Same with Benitez really, I don't think he will be sacked but I do think he's losing patience at some factors of the circus.

is Silva safe?

what if by December you find yourself near relegation?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've not included Silva on the basis that I don't think he will fuck this season up that badly. If we are near relegation then yes, he will need to go but at worst I think we will be floating around 10-12th. 

This season is about transitioning from the clusterfuck of Koeman, Walsh and Allardyce and turning us back into a stable, European flirting team.

I'd like to say the same about us in that Puel's had a good summer so far getting in players he thinks will fit in to our system as well as losing one of the biggest stars we've ever had.

Puel came in last October with the club in a bit of a shit place in the league. I think if we're around 10th by Xmas it puts us in a good position for the 2nd half of the season and make a push for Europe.

Adjusting to losing Mahrez might take longer than some of our fans think. We've lost a creative player in what was not a creative side so here's hoping the likes of Maddison, Gray, Diabate, Albrighton (and any other attacking player we might sign) can hit the ground running. 

I'd love for us to get in to Europe again next season but it's not the end of the world if we don't. 

this is the discussion of DOOM.

Newcastle can't afford to sack Benitez, he is their savior 

but i'm seeing Leicester as the team that has a short wick on it's dynamite with their manager.

at the end of this season, if United fails to lift a trophy, i'm expecting Jose to go to PSG ...

Puel or Gracia. Puel is a massive fraud and Watford have gone too long, by their standards, without sacking a manager. 

I can see Marco Silva getting the boot at Everton as well. His defensive record at Premier League clubs is horrific and though I do understand the clubs he managed were Hull and Watford, two relatively small clubs by Premier League standards, but with the defence he has at his disposal (Martina, Keane and Williams to name a few) and the fact that Everton don’t seem to have addressed their defensive frailties as of yet this summer, I can see them shipping goals and subsequently losing games, which won’t go down well. 

• Subscriber

Silva won't be the first to get the bullet. He's not a guaranteed success but after last season's calamity I expect the club to have learned from their mistakes and only resort to sacking him during the season if the threat of relegation is really genuine. Even if we finish about 12th I expect him to be given more time as the philosophy at the club has shifted away from "omg we've got money we need to get in the top 4 and win the FA Cup yesterday" to one where there's a long term plan which will only be torn up if it becomes a real disaster in the short term or just fails to show enough progress over at least a couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Silva won't be the first to get the bullet. He's not a guaranteed success but after last season's calamity I expect the club to have learned from their mistakes and only resort to sacking him during the season if the threat of relegation is really genuine. Even if we finish about 12th I expect him to be given more time as the philosophy at the club has shifted away from "omg we've got money we need to get in the top 4 and win the FA Cup yesterday" to one where there's a long term plan which will only be torn up if it becomes a real disaster in the short term or just fails to show enough progress over at least a couple of seasons.

Agree with that. It's pointless sacking a manager before he's had the chance to implement his philosophy's and had chance to recruit the players that suit it. That can't all be done in a few months and 1 transfer window. 

I think Silva should and will be given time. 

35 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Agree with that. It's pointless sacking a manager before he's had the chance to implement his philosophy's and had chance to recruit the players that suit it. That can't all be done in a few months and 1 transfer window. 

I think Silva should and will be given time. 

Isn’t that exactly what happened under Koeman AND Allardyce?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Isn’t that exactly what happened under Koeman AND Allardyce?

Koeman had over a season and was potentially taking us down but in retrospect I think given the same circumstances again they'd gave given him more time. I was calling for his head at the time but with the lack of a replacement being sorted he probably should have had longer.

Allardyce simply can't be taken seriously as a long term appointment and if that isn't obvious then there's no point in trying to explain why.

It should also be obvious that just because we made mistakes last season when Moshiri found himself in a new situation having just spunked a load of his money on transfers doesn't mean that we're going to make the same mistakes again this season and every subsequent season. Clubs change and people tend to learn from their mistakes (apart from Chelsea :ph34r:).

• Subscriber

Going to predict the whole league. Sit tight and revisit this one in a year...

Arsenal | Emery - Sees next season

Bournemouth | Howe - Sees next season

Brighton | Hughton - Sees next season

Burnley | Dyche - Sees next season

Cardiff | Warnock - Sacked in December

Chelsea | Sarri - Sees next season

Crystal Palace | Hodgson - Sacked in February

Everton | Silva - Sees next season

Fulham | Jokanovic - Leaves at the end of the season

Huddersfield | Wagner - Sees next season

Leicester | Puel - Sacked in November

Liverpool | Klopp - Sees next season

Man City | Guardiola - Sees next season

Man Utd | Mourinho - Leaves at the end of the season

Newcastle | Benitez - Leaves during the season for another club

Southampton | Hughes - Sacked in January

Tottenham | Pochettino - Sees next season

Watford | Gracia - Leaves at the end of the season

West Ham | Pellegrini - Sees next season

Wolves | Nuno - Leaves at the end of the season

I don't see as many sackings this year for some reason.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived