talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2018-19

Premier League Sack Race 2018-19  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the first to leave their club?

• Mark Hughes (Southampton)
    • Javi Gracia (Watford)
    • Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace)
    • Rafael Benitez (Newcastle)
    • Claude Puel (Leicester)
    • Chris Hughton (Brighton)
    • Neil Warnock (Cardiff)
    • Other

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I do think my point stands though. Leuven are in the shit under Pearson, in serious danger of relegation so they've had to act. Pearson's been exposed beyond his backroom team - he's no good without them.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, Stan - just seen this as I wait for the Man U game on NBC - they have done a piece very respectful and sad about your boss.  I can't see where this went wrong as you have had injuries and problems with some players' fitness which is not his fault - as opposed to my problem where the fault is lack of ability.  Who now?

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Sorry, Stan - just seen this as I wait for the Man U game on NBC - they have done a piece very respectful and sad about your boss.  I can't see where this went wrong as you have had injuries and problems with some players' fitness which is not his fault - as opposed to my problem where the fault is lack of ability.  Who now?

I think the injuries thing is a poor excuse for any fan of ours to use. It went wrong because Puel was consistently unable to break down teams who would sit deep and defend. He'd play very similarly at home as he would away from home. Often more defensive at home and only one striker. Style of play was a big sticking point as it wasn't pretty and when you compare that to how we played under Ranieri & Shakespeare, it wasn't pretty viewing. 

He is very stubborn in that he wanted to play only his way. Very rarely was there a plan B or plan C and refusal to play to some players' strengths was a catalyst for his downfall - the main player being Vardy as he was virtually nullified by his own manager. 

I think the concept of what he wanted to do was fine, no qualms with that. Just the wrong person to do it, really. 

• Subscriber

You can't play stubbornly with that one style of play when it's totally different to what this squad has been doing for the last few years.

This outcome was actually totally predictable really when you think about it.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

The only one who I think genuinely could? Solskjaer. I'm not totally ruling out the possibility of him stepping down. Unlikely but not impossible either.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 01:09, DeadLinesman said:

Solskjaer won’t be sacked or step down. Simply won’t happen.

He might never get sacked, but I don't know that he'll never step down. Roy Evans was with Liverpool since the early 70s, part of the famous bootroom and he worked with every single Liverpool manager from Shankly until he was manager. He wasn't a great player for us (he was actually a pretty shite player for us from what I've heard) but he was a Liverpool legend nonetheless, because he was a part of a coaching staff that had done some incredible stuff for us over the decades.

And his relationship with the club and fans was one that he would never be sacked by the club. But when the board felt it was time for a change, they did go ahead and make changes - they just made his job untenable. And honestly, it was a bit humiliating to appoint Ged Houllier to "co-manage" alongside Roy Evans, being a manager in name, but really be assistant manager to the person who'd be taking your job fulltime. It undermined his authority fully and eventually he resigned.

Ultimately though, the change was needed. I think Roy Evans had a brilliant attacking mind, but the way he set up a defense didn't work with how football had changed. We'd also been stuck in the past, while other clubs had new fitness regimes and hired nutritionists and all of that introduction of sports science into football in the 90s... we'd just kept sticking to what we knew from the 80s. And Houllier, pre-heart attack, did a lot to bring our club into the new era.

I don't know that United would ever do something that shite Solskjaer. But I do think he could resign if he thinks he's not doing a good enough job to take Manchester United forward - if these struggles never seem to end, I doubt he wants to be the manager to give United their most humiliating league finish since Ferguson.

But this bad run of form, I think, is a blessing for Solskjaer and United. It really sends a message back to the board that: Mourinho may have signed these players for a lot of money, but he was right that many of them are not good enough to be big players at United. And that while Solskjaer can get the squad to perform at times looking way better than they ever did under Mourinho, the squad is also inconsistent and can look just as poor (if not worse). Which could be an indication that assembling an expensive squad with no real plan or balance was a mistake and that the manager should be working with a director of football.

Granted, if your new director of football is Rio fucking Ferdinand and you're going to go with someone who's been a pundit after their career has ended rather than appoint someone with experience in actually planning to build a football club for the future (like Phelan, the obvious fucking choice for a Manchester United DoF), then I don't know if that change will be great either. I remember when the Man Utd fan who owns Valencia decided to appoint top pundit Gary Neville to be a manager. And then Gary Neville found out that football management is harder than being hyper critical on television and playing for one of the best managers in history does not necessarily mean you'll be a good manager.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

"Here we go again, as happy as can be..." as the song goes  :coffee:

291383329_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.084741b18dcec58fa0e5307eeec871ad.png

Chris Hughton: Brighton sack manager after 17th-placed finish in Premier League

Brighton have sacked manager Chris Hughton after the Seagulls finished 17th in the Premier League.

They won just three of their last 23 league games and none of their final nine.

Chairman Tony Bloom said that run "put our status at significant risk".

Hughton, who joined Albion in December 2014, led the club to the Premier League for the first time in 2017, and they finished 15th in their first season back in the top flight.

The 60-year-old, who was contracted until 2021, also took the club to the FA Cup semi-final this season, where they lost 1-0 to Manchester City.

Bloom said: "Our run of three wins from 23 Premier League matches put our status at significant risk. It is with that in mind, and the performances during that period, that I now feel it's the right time for a change.

"Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season."

Hughton won 40.93% of his 215 games in charge and was named the Premier League's manager of the month in March 2018.

He is the seventh Premier League manager to be sacked this season.

Bloom praised Hughton for an "excellent job" in stabilising the club, achieving promotion and retaining their Premier League status.

"Chris will always be very fondly remembered by Albion staff and fans as one of our club's finest and most respected managers," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48251716

• The topic was unpinned

Archived