Harry Maguire to Remain at Leicester

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Real Madrid want him as well. I stress that it's allegedly. xD

I hope he doesn't go to Utd because mourinho will ruin him

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How? When has Mourinho ever ruined a CB? He's actually excelled them. 

I wouldnt say he's excelled any of Utd's CB's? He's a very defensive minded coach which means his teams don't concede too many goals but don't let that sway your opinion into thinking it's because he makes defenders better.

DDG has made Mourinho's defensive stats look way better than they should since he's been manager of Utd for example. 

32 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I wouldnt say he's excelled any of Utd's CB's? He's a very defensive minded coach which means his teams don't concede too many goals but don't let that sway your opinion into thinking it's because he makes defenders better.

DDG has made Mourinho's defensive stats look way better than they should since he's been manager of Utd for example. 

So you wouldn't then consider Terry, Carvalho, Lucio, Samuel, Varane, Azpilicueta, or Bailey top defenders? All of which have improved under Mourinho? 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So you wouldn't then consider Terry, Carvalho, Lucio, Samuel, Varane, Azpilicueta, or Bailey top defenders? All of which have improved under Mourinho? 

I think they all suit his system rather well more than Mourinho actually improving them. Most of them were all great players before Mou got hold of them. 

I'm not saying he's never improved a defender, he obviously has, more because he's so defensive tactically so obviously a player under him is going to become more defensively astute in a tactical sense.

I just don't think you can put him down as a great man manager or coach that helps players excel. He's more a manger who likes already great players who he can rinse every last drop from before discarding them and buying new. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think they all suit his system rather well more than Mourinho actually improving them. Most of them were all great players before Mou got hold of them. 

I'm not saying he's never improved a defender, he obviously has, more because he's so defensive tactically so obviously a player under him is going to become more defensively astute in a tactical sense.

I just don't think you can put him down as a great man manager or coach that helps players excel. He's more a manger who likes already great players who he can rinse every last drop from before discarding them and buying new. 

Fair points. But I disagree on your last sentence. 

I think the very best of Mourinho 04-2010, had the ability to take established players further to the next level. Don't think Lampard, Terry, Deco, Snejider, etc would be the players they were without the influence of Mourinho. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Fair points. But I disagree. 

I think the very best of Mourinho 04-2010, had the ability to take established players further to the next level. Don't think Lampard, Terry, Deco, Snejider, etc wouldn't be the players they were without the influence of Mourinho. 

Also a fair point. Mourinho does seem to have gone into his shell since 2010 actually and become even more defensive since then. It's as if he realised the game was changing and he wasn't confident of changing with it so decided absolutely choking teams to death was the way forward for him. 

• Subscriber

Would his and Mourinho’s head fit in the same dressing room?

On a serious note, if I was Mourinho and United I would do all I can to get him. Maguire and Bailly at the back would be brilliant. 

• Subscriber

He would naturally fancy the move as playing for Manchester United is a special move even in their current state, but I also think he genuinely appreciates us and will show that by signing a new deal. I do expect him to probably go eventually but it won't be this window. We'll reject offers for him and understandably so.

I'm with Stan I'd have taken Mawson here no doubt. The talk with us now is that we've got to sell before we buy (that's despite having a negative net spend this summer) because of FFP, meaning we can only increase our wage bill by so much. Our wage bill has gone up despite the departure of Mahrez, as Evans is likely to be on big money and you'd imagine Ward, Maddison and Ricardo all consume a fair bit as well, not to mention of course that Maguire's going to get a pay rise.

It's an absolute shambles of a situation really. I didn't realise how bad it was. Our business in summer 2016 really was disgusting and while you'd have to say improvements have been made, we're still prone to paying out in my eyes over the odds wages to decent, but not special players.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dan said:

He would naturally fancy the move as playing for Manchester United is a special move even in their current state, but I also think he genuinely appreciates us and will show that by signing a new deal. I do expect him to probably go eventually but it won't be this window. We'll reject offers for him and understandably so.

I'm with Stan I'd have taken Mawson here no doubt. The talk with us now is that we've got to sell before we buy (that's despite having a negative net spend this summer) because of FFP, meaning we can only increase our wage bill by so much. Our wage bill has gone up despite the departure of Mahrez, as Evans is likely to be on big money and you'd imagine Ward, Maddison and Ricardo all consume a fair bit as well, not to mention of course that Maguire's going to get a pay rise.

It's an absolute shambles of a situation really. I didn't realise how bad it was. Our business in summer 2016 really was disgusting and while you'd have to say improvements have been made, we're still prone to paying out in my eyes over the odds wages to decent, but not special players.

it's our own fault we've kept dross like Musa, James, Mendy, Ulloa on our books. These guys have to be sold but who the fuck is gonna buy them when they're on such big money?

Even lower-half clubs won't take them on permanently probably because of their wages, or in Mendy's and James' cases their injury-proneness.

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Stan said:

it's our own fault we've kept dross like Musa, James, Mendy, Ulloa on our books. These guys have to be sold but who the fuck is gonna buy them when they're on such big money?

Even lower-half clubs won't take them on permanently probably because of their wages, or in Mendy's and James' cases their injury-proneness.

There are absolutely loads of them unfortunately.

Musa obviously has been a huge flop. The rate it's going I actually think he might get a shot again for us this season but it's depressing that this coincides with Mahrez going. James and Ulloa were never worth new contracts. Mendy has been a complete waste of time so far and I expect little to change there as he's picked up yet another injury today.

Then of course Slimani, absurd transfer fee, no sell on value, big wages, average contribution. He'll probably be used again this season but he's another we could do with getting rid of.

Benalouane's another. £8mil for him and a 4 year deal on I bet at least £40k a week.

I'd argue even Iborra. I think he's a decent player but not worth what he's probably on. Silva hasn't really done it yet either. The likes of Morgan and Simpson, great servants but they're another two I'd guess are on more than they should be. Andy King unfortunately another.

We needed to get rid of at least three of these, any three in-particular of the ones you named plus probably Slimani or King, and we've not gotten rid of a single one. A negative net spend and still got to sell before we buy xD

I'd bin FFP but it doesn't change the fact we've planned badly for it, it's there and we've not dealt with it well enough.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Wow, actually didn't realise how much shite Leicester have brought in from second tier leagues O.o.

Pereira should be a good signing though, as should Maddison.

Our squad is massive. There are good players in there no doubt so it's no crisis but it's a precarious position if we did get relegated for example, and we've flirted with it in three of the four years we've been up.

We seem to have a mix of extraordinarily good value for money signings and extraordinarily bad.

Pereira and Maddison are two very decent additions. Evans I think is probably an upgrade on our centre halves but he did not have a good year last year, and if he has a year anything like that he'll be another ageing player we've got tied down paying big money to.

I thought the summer was going well bar the failure to clear players out but it's become clear that the latter problem is a lot bigger than we realised, and selling Maguire annoyingly would actually do very little to rectify this as he's not that high an earner currently.

• Subscriber

Eighty million is utterly laughable, even in our defensive situation now we'd struggle to turn that down. He's a lot more replaceable than Mahrez, as good as Maguire is.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dan said:

Eighty million is utterly laughable, even in our defensive situation now we'd struggle to turn that down. He's a lot more replaceable than Mahrez, as good as Maguire is.

is he though, this late in the window?

Right now, I'd rather have the player than the money.

Not like we need the money, anyway.

There's only so much Morgan/Benalouane partnership any sane person can take. We lose Maguire before Thursday and we're stuck with those 2 (and Evans) til January and that is not a comfortable feeling. £80m doesn't take that feeling away.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

is he though, this late in the window?

Right now, I'd rather have the player than the money.

Not like we need the money, anyway.

There's only so much Morgan/Benalouane partnership any sane person can take. We lose Maguire before Thursday and we're stuck with those 2 (and Evans) til January and that is not a comfortable feeling. £80m doesn't take that feeling away.

It's probably too late now I agree and that's partially down to a couple of potential alternatives moving elsewhere. As previously stated Maguire isn't that big a saving in wages if he goes and that's the main issue here supposedly.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's probably too late now I agree and that's partially down to a couple of potential alternatives moving elsewhere. As previously stated Maguire isn't that big a saving in wages if he goes and that's the main issue here supposedly.

Surely the main issue here is leaving us with a terribly weak defence? Wages can't be that much of an issue. 

Willing to state that if Maguire goes, our defence becomes so weak that we're finishing bottom half, possibly risking taking part in a relegation fight. He makes that much of a difference.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire to Remain at Leicester
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived